FAMAE SG 542 REVIEW: Controversially costly?

I've been sitting on this review for a while now... I shot the hell out of the gun and couldn't wait to get the coverage out into the magazine, but by virtue of having limited page-space had to hold off for a couple months. But now it's out!

Honestly, and I'm going to take a shitload of flak for this, I think it's worth every penny of it's not insubstantial asking price. Yes, it's really expensive, and that may seem weird given it doesn't come from one of the standard western world manufacturers... but it's really, really nice. If you can possibly get over the whole "it looks like a Swiss so let's compare it to a Swiss gun" mind-frag it is superb. Chilean mountain troops carry these things all over hell's half acre, and by all those accounts, they work in those climates which means they'll probably work just as well here. I couldn't get it to hang up at all. And yeah, Chile may not make one think "quality," but at the same time there's no reason for FAMAE not to make nice stuff. They're funded quite well by the Chilean government, so the manufacturing equipment should be good, and the social environment in South America is certainly one in which guns that work are vastly more appreciated that the latest HSLD techno-gizmo, and the FAMAE sort of encapsulates those two notions: It's a really good design, made well, that works.

Overall it's a super-satisfying gun to own. It shoots well, the action is butter-smooth, and the manner in which it breaks down for cleaning and maintenance is very good. Yes, people will be like "BUT SO MUCH MONEYS," to which I would say, it's A) non-restricted, B) designed by the same people as the Sig rifles, C) shoots probably the most useful round you'll come across up here in Canada, D) works very reliably, and E) is a full pound lighter than the cheap .308 non-restricted battle rifle, which means it's closer in weight to an AR than it is to what most would consider normal for a .308 battle rifle.

http://calibremag.ca/famae-sg-542-review/

Oh also... if you're on Instagram, check us out at Calibremagazine over there!
    Proudly publishing Calibre; The Canadian Firearm Publication, online at www.calibremag.ca!

Like us on Facebook or Instagram to follow along with what's new around the office, as well as to get a glimpse into what goes into producing a gun publication.
    Follow us on Twitter @calibremag to enjoy all the stuff that's deemed too unprofessional for Facebook!

2. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By Calibre

kennymo (12-11-2015), normmus (12-11-2015), RANGE R.A.T.S. (12-11-2015), Westicle (12-11-2015)

Insane mag prices.

Interesting review ; and I do like the looks of the rifle , but I suspect there are cheaper rifles out there that can do everything that rifle can do for a lot less money . Reminds me of the old saying " if you have to ask the price , you probably cannot afford it "....
    " Better To Fight For Something , Than Live For Nothing " ; " When In Doubt....ATTACK ".......Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunexpert007 View Post
    Interesting review ; and I do like the looks of the rifle , but I suspect there are cheaper rifles out there that can do everything that rifle can do for a lot less money . Reminds me of the old saying " if you have to ask the price , you probably cannot afford it "....
    You are totally correct; an M14 will do everything this gun does... maybe with the exception of have a decent normal scope mount, although even in that regard, the FAMAE mount puts any decent optic pretty high.

In the name of practicality, the only nod we can give the FAMAE is the weight and balance. It is better than most in that regard, but at the same time, if you're lugging a battle rifle around you're already giving up on comfort to a pretty healthy degree!

However, in terms of all the other facet of ownership... how nice it feels when you rack the action, how smooth the trigger feels, and just generally how "nice" everything feels... the FAMAE's great for that.
    Proudly publishing Calibre; The Canadian Firearm Publication, online at www.calibremag.ca!

Like us on Facebook or Instagram to follow along with what's new around the office, as well as to get a glimpse into what goes into producing a gun publication.
    Follow us on Twitter @calibremag to enjoy all the stuff that's deemed too unprofessional for Facebook!

Side folding mechanism for same fixed stock would be nice.

Yeah. The folding stock is nice but we couldn't get a good cheek weld/sight picture with it.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Not the metal folder, but a mechanism to fold the fixed stock.

One thing I'm curious about in your article. You suggest that the 7.5x55 round was being outstripped in performance by the 7.62 NATO.... (Though you mention the 5.56 in the same line, which I can understand would be viewed as potentially superior given the changing views on the service cartridge at the time) The 7.5x55 being damn near identical to the 7.62 NATO in ballistics (actually mildly faster) and size, I'm just wondering what the superiority of the NATO cartridge was, other than interchangeability.... Though I understand the failings of the previous Swiss service rifle, the cartridge cannot be faulted IMO. Plus it's sexier....there's a thread about it .....

$2300 for a plastic stock rifle that shoots 5 shots? That's funny. (from my non-wealthy perspective)

:P