Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up 'Ambitious and balanced' climate change pact announced in Paris

The final text of an international pact to fight global warming is "ambitious and balanced," French foreign minister Laurent Fabius said in introducing it Saturday morning at the closing session of the Paris climate summit.

"It is my deep conviction that we have come up with an ambitious and balanced agreement that reflects the position of the parties," he said.

"We all worked a great deal. We didn't sleep very much."

The draft text is to be distributed to countries this morning for them to assess. It then must be agreed to at a plenary session and later ratified.

Fabius called the pact "a historic turning point" and said it contained some key provisions, including terms making it legally binding and an ambitious target to "endeavour to limit" the average global temperature increase to 1.5 degrees Celsius if possible ó "well below" the 2 C standard scientists say is essential to limiting potentially catastrophic climate change.

Another major debate has been over a promise that developed nations should provide $100 billion to help poorer nations deal with the consequences of climate change. Fabius said the draft text would set that figure as a floor by 2020.

A French official said the new draft accord is about 20 pages long. That would be about seven pages shorter than a previous draft, suggesting competing options have been deleted.

The official spoke condition of anonymity because the draft had not been released yet.

Negotiations stretched on

The draft agreement comes a day after the original Friday deadline. But weary negotiators had an air of hope Friday night that had been lacking just hours earlier.

"We are pretty much there," Egyptian Environment Minister Khaled Fahmy, the chairman of a bloc of African countries, told The Associated Press late Friday. "There have been tremendous developments in the last hours. We are very close."

A negotiator from a developed country was equally positive. "I think we got it," said the negotiator, who was not authorized to speak publicly as the talks were not over yet.

Negotiators from more than 190 countries in Paris are aiming to create something that's never been done before: an agreement for all countries to reduce man-made emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases and help the poorest adapt to rising seas, fiercer weather and other impacts of global warming.

This accord is the first time all countries are expected to pitch in ó the previous emissions treaty, the 1997 Kyoto Protocol, only included rich countries.

After the final draft is presented, delegations are expected to spend a few hours studying it before it goes to a plenary meeting for eventual adoption.

Prime Minister Enele Sopoaga, of the Pacific island nation of Tuvalu, was upbeat.

"The signals that have come to me give me encouragement that we are going to have a very ... comprehensive and strong agreement in Paris," Sopoaga said.

Different rules for different countries?

Liu Zhenmin, deputy chief of the Chinese delegation, was more cautious. Asked whether the draft would be the final one, he said only if "it's more or less acceptable."

Earlier Friday, Liu stood firm on his nation's demand that rich countries should assume most responsibility for the costs and argued against an agreement that sets too-tough goals for weaning the world off using oil, gas and coal ó the biggest source of carbon emissions.

The U.S. and European countries want to move away from so-called "differentiation" among economies and want big emerging countries like China and India to pitch in more in a final climate deal.

Liu told reporters that issue is "at the core of our concern for the Paris agreement." He said he wants different rules for different countries "clearly stipulated" in the global warming pact.

China is among the more than 180 countries that have submitted emissions targets for the new pact but is resisting Western proposals for robust transparency rules that would require each country to show whether it's on track to meet its target.

Liu also argued against sharply limiting the number of degrees the planet warms this century, because that would involve huge lifestyle and economic changes.

"We need heating. We need air conditioning. You need to drive your car," he said.

Indian Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar also said differentiation was the biggest dispute and accused developed countries of not showing enough flexibility in the talks.

The pledges countries have made so far would fail to limit global warming to even 2 C or less in the long term, Canadian activist Naomi Klein said in an interview with CBC News.

Klein also took issue with a clause that rules out any liability for climate change.

"I've never seen anything like this," she said, "where countries are literally fighting for their very survival, and because of that desperation they're being asked something that they really need a lot, which is their right to seek compensation later on.

"And I think Canada backing that position is really quite immoral."

The talks are the culmination of years of UN-led efforts to create a long-term climate deal. UN climate conferences often run past their deadlines, given the complexity and sensitivity of each word in an international agreement and the consequences for national economies

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/cop21-c...nced-1.3362354

The Newsroom (fiction, s03e03, Nov 2014) - Climate Change interview

"I've never seen anything like this," she said, "where countries are literally fighting for their very survival, and because of that desperation they're being asked something that they really need a lot, which is their right to seek compensation later on..."
    And there's the point to the whole dog and pony show.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

4. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

chrisc (12-12-2015), Edward Teach (12-12-2015), kennymo (12-12-2015), Mark-II (12-12-2015), R&R Rancher (12-12-2015), Waterloomike (12-12-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    Yup you know when they say its "ambitious and balanced" then the "takers" got what they want and the "givers" meaning the western world middle class taxpayers got bent over severely while our politicians are having a grand time patting each other on the back while making sure they all take their cut out.
    Member- NRA NFA CSSA CSC

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Reeferman

Edenchef (12-12-2015)

Yeah, "rich, white, Liberal guilt".

I can't believe I'm cheering on China.

This is the excuse they will use to back door world government. Attempt it, anyway. It won't last, but that doesn't stop scammers from scamming. The EU isn't even going to last and they're all neighbours.

Allow our Rightful Liberty or .....

Having China on the developing countries list here makes about as much sense as North Korea being on the human rights commission......

10. The Following 9 Users Like This Post By kennymo

762shooter (12-12-2015), chrisc (12-12-2015), Edenchef (12-12-2015), Edward Teach (12-12-2015), killer kane (12-12-2015), Mark-II (12-12-2015), OEM (12-12-2015), Rory McCanuck (12-13-2015), Waterloomike (12-12-2015)

I see that Trotskyist suppurating wound Klein is near the center of this mess. I'm shocked.
    Know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin command here.

It's all a farce. I called it way back when Al Gore first opened his carbon traphole. Massive money-minting scam of Gargantuan proportions. Yes larger than Reliables sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Liked This Post By OEM

Remote Viewer (12-13-2015)

Not how I pictured the new world order arriving, in Cold War times.

Destroy the middle class, destroy nationalism, subvert sovereignty.

And it was all done by all of you assholes out there who vote for the "gimme free stuff" parties, heedless of the coming of the debt collector.

15. The Following User Liked This Post By Mark-II

Remote Viewer (12-13-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast