Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Milsurp Spraynozzles - What to do?

I have a number of entirely original military surplus rifles, but many of them are not accurate. Some bores are badly pitted and scarred.

I don't enjoy shooting inaccuurate rifles and they just sit in my safe.

What would you do?

Sell? Rebarrel? Use as Christmas gifts?

Make wall hangers.

Sounds like they fall under the concept of being collector rifles maybe ; it costs nothing to keep them , and look at them.....and you can get newer rifles for shooters ; I have several firearms in the safe that I never use , but I know they are there if I want them....and their value just keeps going up...
    " Better To Fight For Something , Than Live For Nothing " ; " When In Doubt....ATTACK ".......Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

I know the feeling the only Lee Enfield I ever had was so bad that as long as I aimed at something it was pretty safe. Finally sold it off and went on to other things. I still have boxes of shells for one I ever find one cheap enough again someday.

Tbh you kind of answered your own question. You're not a sentimental kind of person, you're a pragmatist.

Rebarreling can be an option, but, tbh it's also a pita. By the time you get lucky enough to find a quality barrel in a contour that matches some random action in a caliber that appeals to you, you've probably wasted more time than what it was worth as well as the expense.

Sell them off at a competitive price. Grab one of the nice Swiss rifles in near mint condition while they still exist as well as some of the premium ammo that's on the market, and use that to scratch your occasional mil-surp precision itch ( you'll probably never, EVER, find better combo deals than are available right this minute ).

Trade for accurate ones? You won't do much better than the K31 suggested above or a M96 Swedish Mauser in good shape. I have one of each and they're both rather impressive at 100 and 200 yards with iron sights......

I do have/had a couple of sewer pipe rifles that were still fairly accurate. As long as the muzzle isn't severely worn and the crown is OK they can still be shooters.... And if they're .303 Lee Enfields there are a number of issues that can come into play, 'damned crack' on the interior of the fore stock, bedding out of whack, stock dried out and shrank and doesn't contact the receiver properly anymore, busted draws, etc.... They're finicky rifles to get shooting well apparently....

Anyway, whatcha got?

"...collector rifles maybe..." Not if they're badly pitted and scarred. No collector interest in stuff in that condition. Ditto for trying to sell 'em. Not worth the 'cost' of an ad if the thing is bad enough. Parts maybe.
    On the other hand, badly pitted and scarred also means you won't lose any value if you do re-barrel. Assuming you can find a barrel.

Maybe try them with cast?
    Firelap them?
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

BuckingFastard (12-14-2015), kennymo (12-13-2015)

^^ There's another idea..... I really need to start looking out for a good lead pot. Work helps me discover oodles of nice soft plumbing lead, just waiting for someone to melt it down and repurpose it.....maybe I can get some carbon credits for recycling.....

Hmmm, can barrels be sleeved? That way you keep the original barrel installed, and the overall value? maybe
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast