Thinking about buying a type 99.

Hello, I'm new to this particular forum. I am a relatively new gun owner, but already I am addicted to collecting milsurps. Here is my small collection so far: http://imgur.com/a/1GLh7 So as the tittle says I would like to buy a Type 99 Arisaka rifle. I have found one someone has for sale that is sporterized, here is some pics: http://imgur.com/gallery/KdZj2/new Should I get it and then restore it? Should I wait for one in better condition? Or maybe try importing one from the states? Any advice is welcome, I am in no rush but I want to know from more experienced collectors/shooters if I should get a deal when I can or wait for a better condition rifle.

Well, the type 99 is an interesting rifle, I haven't happened across one yet.... I'd ask what parts availability is like before planning to restore a sporter. I think perhaps it might be difficult to come by all the missing bits, the wood in particular.

Your wallet's going to hate me, but here's a couple places to keep an eye out for one....

www.psmilitaria.50megs.com

www.collectorssource.com

The latter can be a little pricey, but they come up with some hard to find stuff. Know your prices well before buying, but otherwise they're good to deal with. P&S pricing tends to be a little closer to fair, but they have the odd overpriced one there too....also pretty good to deal with. And of course, site sponsor Aztech Armoury would be more than happy to assist you with importing a gun from the U.S. if you find one for the right price.

Well I think I am going to wait. I plan to get one from here https://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.a...ka%20Type%2099 I am still in College so I can wait until I get a full time job and save up to buy a couple different guns at the same time, that way I am only pay $35 extra per gun. I will talk to that seller though and see if his Type 99 needs any major parts. My biggest problem with it is it looks like the bluing is wearing off.

Honky Tonk Outlaw BuckingFastard's Avatar
    These are cheap & plentiful at gun shows south of the border, I had friends go to SOS last year and said premium examples could be had for 350 and lots to choose from. I'll be going this year, but we have a liberal government that plans to bring in mandatory import stamping on all firearms so work fast, as for me this will ruin any future importing for me. Other then that I have nothing to add as they are not in my collecting focus and don't know much about them. Cheers and good luck
    "Are you sure Hank done it this way"

5. The Following User Liked This Post By BuckingFastard

Doug_M (12-15-2015)

"...at gun shows south of the border..." You cannot buy any firearm, Stateside. Don't think you can even bid on Gunbroker. Importing one would cost as much as the rifle. Runs around $250 plus the 30 to 35% exchange rate. So that $299.99US becomes $404.99Cdn. plus the $250. Money you would never get back.
    In any case, that one has been ravaged by Bubba. Restoring it will cost a big pile of money. Most parts places, Stateside, do not export either. And that'd be if you can find parts.
    If you plan on shooting it, 7.7 Jap ammo isn't easy to come by either. I believe it's only available in Canada loaded by Norma and is pricey stuff. No ammo or brass from the States either.