Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Handloading/Reloading info

First of all thx for allowing me to join this forum!

I own a few practical calibers for hunting that I also purchased because of the hand loading options available for tweaking the loads here and there for the challenge and the excuse to do more shooting for experimentation! and now I'm at the crossroads of which reloading/hand loading setup/kit to get I've narrowed it down to either RCBS or Hornady I would like to have the ability to assemble anything from .17HMR rimfire all the way up to .338 snipe-tac. i realize it will be a whole differnt setup but i also want to get into shot-shell loading as well! I have a 10'x14, room dedicated to this pursuit! and I also be enrolling in one of those online gunsmithing courses within the next 6mos! any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time!

Can't really go wrong with either Hornady or RCBS stuff. Between myself and the old man we've got a smattering of product from both companies, no complaints. The RCBS Rockchucker seems renowned for it's excellent leverage though...mine's the Special 5, so I can't comment to that. But no complaints about the trusty #5 either. As a Manitoban Ukrainian Pollack Scotsman, which can you find a better deal on?

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I agree with Kenny. I've owned most brands over the years. For reloading precision rounds for my rifles, I keep going back to my RCBS Rockchucker.

I would also recommend ANYONE compliment a Rockchucker press setup with an RCBS Chargemaster combo scale/powder dispenser. I did all of my precision powder stuff with a balance beam scale for years. I got one of these, and man....there's no turning back. If that thing broke tomorrow morning at 11:00am, I'd have another one on order by 11:01am.

Annnnd...I'm going to put this thread in the reloading section.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

^^ Quit tempting me.....there's an empty spot on my credit card I'm trying to save for my mandatory week and a bit off at Christmas. Had to put it down slowly and back out of WSS with my hands raised when I eyeballed the Hornady version of that thing earlier this week....

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    ^^ Quit tempting me.....there's an empty spot on my credit card I'm trying to save for my mandatory week and a bit off at Christmas. Had to put it down slowly and back out of WSS with my hands raised when I eyeballed the Hornady version of that thing earlier this week....
    FYI: Even with the CAD in the crapper, you can still save $50 - $100 after shipping by buying a Chargemaster from Natchez Shooting Supplies in the US. Chargemasters are around $550 at the local WSS. Last week, I could order one from Natchez for just over $450 CAD shipped.

The one I had before I sold all my reloading stuff I bought from them when the exchange was better. I paid a shade over $325 all in, sold it for around $400 having used it for 10 charges. The buyer still got a great deal and I made money on it. LOL
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

What part of quit tempting me didn't you understand???

I can feel that damn card heating up in my back pocket just talking about the damn thing.....

7. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

FlyingHigh (12-13-2015)

And the next obvious question is should I buy a kit or each piece individually from multiple providers?

And the next obvious question is should I buy a kit or each piece individually from multiple providers?

Quote Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker View Post
    Depends what you want. Some kits are less complete than others, some are a better value than others.... Usually you catch a bit of a break buying all in one versus buying everything individually. New at any rate, you might find a deal on gently used..... Consider what pieces might be missing when shopping....

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker View Post
    That's going to depend on whether you've made the decision to jump in with both feet or not. If you're planning on reloading long term, don't worry about the kit. What I would do is buy the Rockchucker press. Buy the Chargemaster and get it over with...trust me....you're going to want one sooner or later. Also, buy the powder pan that goes on the scale that has the little inverted funnel built right into it. This completely eliminates the need for a separate powder funnel. I think I have 3 balance beam scales downstairs that I haven't touched in a few years now. Buy your dies and shell holders from wherever you want, along with the shell holders (you won't get these in any kits anyway). There are numerous priming tools out there. I have the Lyman one, but it's getting worn out. One of them out there comes with a square tray (RCBS ?). I'm not sure who makes it for sure. That's the one I'll buy next. Don't buy the Lee hand priming tool because they require Lee's special shell holders. All the other priming tools out there use the standard shell holders that you use in your press. As for a reloading manual...you're going to need at least one. Modern Reloading 2 by Richard Lee is a good one to learn from, but DO NOT BUY INTO HIS MARKETING GAME. He plugs the hell out of his products thoughout the learning half of the book. Lee stuff is not built as well as RCBS/Lyman/Redding/Dillon stuff, and I don't give a you know what, what anyone says. I've owned and broken enough Lee stuff to be able to say that with great confidence. You'll want at least one reloading (case holding) tray..the thing that holds your brass upright.

Ok guys....what am I forgetting...I left the truck warming up in the driveway, and I need to run out for a few minutes....finish up for me.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast