Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alberta welcomes US veterans looking for work

As Alberta continues to struggle with shortages of skilled labourers, employers are now looking south of the border to veterans of the US military to help fill over 100,000 vacant jobs.

Thousands of skilled American workers have been locked out of work due to President Obama's refusal to okay the US leg of the Keystone XL pipeline. Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has pledged he would expedite the pipeline's approval process.

The Edmonton Economic Development Corporation, a city-run agency, is posting on online veteran jobs boards and hosting recruitment sessions to lure Americans north. Skilled workers like welders, engineers, and pipe fitters are able to work up to four years in Canada should they meet the right immigration criteria.
    http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews...05-103508.html
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for 'em.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me

EM Precision Rifles stevesummit's Avatar
    Well I think it's good to offer the vets jobs. There are lots of people here that could be put to work to fill the positions first we have to adopt more of a take care of your own back yard first then look out and beyond your boarders This is just my opinion take it for what it's worth

Quote Originally Posted by stevesummit View Post
    Well I think it's good to offer the vets jobs. There are lots of people here that could be put to work to fill the positions first we have to adopt more of a take care of your own back yard first then look out and beyond your boarders This is just my opinion take it for what it's worth
    Oh I agree, but if the 20 somethings I see at work are any indication of the current and up and coming work force you'd have better luck flapping your arms and flying. Work isn't work anymore it's a social event with zero work ethic. I've even seen a few quit a $40@hr job because they couldn't get the time off they wanted.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for 'em.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me

As a temporary measure, when combined with an agressive training/retraining program of the domestic workforce, I don't see much harm in there. That being said I wouldn't want Canada to end up being foreign soldier's de-facto pension plan either they plan to immigrate on a permanent basis, renounce their foreign citizenship and so on.

I doubt the same open doors would be there if things were the other way around.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Time to be very careful as this is not a two way street with the unemployment here in Canada we should put Canadians to work first.If you tell US customs you are going to get a job in the states you will spend a lot of time at the border and then sent back unless you have a visa or green card.

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Dog View Post
    Oh I agree, but if the 20 somethings I see at work are any indication of the current and up and coming work force you'd have better luck flapping your arms and flying. Work isn't work anymore it's a social event with zero work ethic. I've even seen a few quit a $40@hr job because they couldn't get the time off they wanted.
    I agree with you about current work ethics but the new up and comers that will replace us old timer need a swift kick in the cahonies to smarten up . Anyone that has read some history on Rome knows this is the start of the end with foreign workers here to fill the gap .

Quote Originally Posted by stevesummit View Post
    I agree with you about current work ethics but the new up and comers that will replace us old timer need a swift kick in the cahonies to smarten up . Anyone that has read some history on Rome knows this is the start of the end with foreign workers here to fill the gap .
    But why is a kick in the cahonies up to us? Why didn't their parent(s) correct this attitude long ago? We're now stuck with the entitlement generation (think Occupy or Quebec students as extreme examples) and there are barriers in place that prevent us from giving them the good chewing out they need to get their shit together. It's all about the employer's "obligation" to the new employee as well as "accommodation" (not the disabled instance). "Retention rates" and other HR touchy-feely phrases show how far the liberal social re-engineering agenda has spread. At least little Johnny was saved from any permanent emotional scars of a "zero" mark in school.

I hope in 35 years or so they're finally suitably qualified to change my diaper, I'll be looking forward to it.

Pass the prunes please.....

LOL ...Hence my suggestion towards agressive retraining of the domestic workforce... They felt just as "entitled" when they signed up, found out life was a bit different once discharged ... Now they come here since nobody will employ them on their side of the border ...

Quote Originally Posted by Camo tung View Post
    But why is a kick in the cahonies up to us? Why didn't their parent(s) correct this attitude long ago? We're now stuck with the entitlement generation (think Occupy or Quebec students as extreme examples) and there are barriers in place that prevent us from giving them the good chewing out they need to get their shit together. It's all about the employer's "obligation" to the new employee as well as "accommodation" (not the disabled instance). "Retention rates" and other HR touchy-feely phrases show how far the liberal social re-engineering agenda has spread. At least little Johnny was saved from any permanent emotional scars of a "zero" mark in school.

I hope in 35 years or so they're finally suitably qualified to change my diaper, I'll be looking forward to it.

Pass the prunes please.....

the reason the kick has to come from us is the fact that no one else will stand up to do it . it has to start some place and it might as well be from the ones that are teaching the newbs how to build and run the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast