Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandhu View Post
    Have you checked the level? Did you level both x and y?

You obviously are doing something wrong to have that much error.
    Trust me it was level. And I'm certain a slight misalignment wouldn't be enough to throw it up that high. But regardless, that was definitely not the problem. When I get back out there I'll try again and update this thread with my results.

Nothing wrong with those velocities except your spread is huge. I'd guess you're either using poor quality brass or your powder loads are inconsistent, which is most likely the problem.
    My 168 grain .308 loads are 2700 for a 20" barrel and 2768 for a 24" barrel. No pressure signs, very long brass life (20plus), and very accurate. I've been doing this for a while now.
    Last edited by jwirecom109; 03-23-2016 at 03:39 PM. Reason: unauthorized promotion of a personal company

RobertMcC
    Bullet seat and crimp plays a huge difference in velocity.

It's lapua brass, I've also relatively recently bought a more accurate scale but am unable to really use it. When I started resizing my once fired brass, I made a few cartridges and they all were a pain to chamber, and when extracted (without firing them) the bullets are all having aggressive scrape marks on one side. One bullet was even pushed a little deeper into the case. The bullets are all seating off centre and I'm not sure what the problem is. I've been checking the length with a comparator and they're identical to before so they're not just too long. It happens with both neck and full length dies, but full length to a lesser extent. Never had this happen with the unfired brass.

What kind of dies? What press?

Just regular redding dies, press is single stage Hornady

A brief word on measuring instruments in general.
    The Lee is a good basic scale, but it's sensitive to air currents.
    An inexpensive digital one from ebay is just as accurate and comes with a dust cover that eliminates air currents.
    If the rated accuracy is good, say +/- 0.2% plus one digit, it means a reading of 42.500 grains could be anywhere from 42.414 to 42.586
    The proviso is that you need to take your reading in the first 20-30 seconds before thermal drift in the resistive components of the measurement bridge can affect the reading. That's the price you pay for miniaturization. Small components lack thermal mass.
    Accuracy you can trust down to 1/100 grain would require a lab grade instrument (in the price range of a precision rifle) with extreme measuring accuracy.
    Display resolution down to 3 decimals, which is the norm for a $150 scale, is not the same thing.
    A super accurate scale would display more than that, and would require a temperature stabilized, humidity/dust/vibration free environment for the actual transducer.

Yes well measuring powder has become the least of my problems now.

Check your press with ram at top, see if it aligns with the die threads. I've heard of presses that cant at TDC.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234