Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Better Survival Rifle? Chiappa Little Badger or Henry Survival AR-7?

They're my top two choices for a camping bag. Any preferences?

I only thought the Chiappa was in 22lr. I'm just finding out that they also make a 22 mag. Interesting...

I wouldn't trust my survival to a 22. SKS for me.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Swampdonkey

lone-wolf (01-06-2016)

Both are great choices. SKS is great for "survival" but not for a backpack/camping bag plus the weight of the ammo. You can hold 1000 rounds of .22 in a sock.if you have the money to burn check out the chiappa X-calibre. It's basically a Badger with inserts to shoot 10 different types of ammo. Versatility is good, but it's rather pricey.
    Last edited by TheHydrant; 01-06-2016 at 04:30 AM.

Of the two you mention, there's no doubt in my mind the badger is probably the better survival rifle. All of the henry's i've used were ammo fussy and prone to jams or failures on occasion. The badger will shoot anything and keep going. No mags to worry about, just a simple design that works.

And yes i've owned both Still have the badger.

What exactly do you have against the Marlin Papoose?

A better option for a semi auto takedown .22 than the Henry IMHO.... The Ruger 10/22 comes in a nice takedown now too....

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

9. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By kennymo

lone-wolf (01-06-2016), Marcel (01-09-2016), SIR VEYOR (01-06-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    What exactly do you have against the Marlin Papoose?

A better option for a semi auto takedown .22 than the Henry IMHO.... The Ruger 10/22 comes in a nice takedown now too....
    Agreed. If you're going to go mag fed take down the papoose is a much better choice. I also have the 795 which i believe the papoose is based on and it's run like a top for years, never given me any real trouble.

But it still can be a TINY bit ammo sensitive - I still think for 'survival' it's hard to beat a single shot break action and the papoose is a little larger and heavier if that makes any real difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxer View Post
    Agreed. If you're going to go mag fed take down the papoose is a much better choice. I also have the 795 which i believe the papoose is based on and it's run like a top for years, never given me any real trouble.

But it still can be a TINY bit ammo sensitive - I still think for 'survival' it's hard to beat a single shot break action and the papoose is a little larger and heavier if that makes any real difference.
    My Uncle had a Papoose for years, used to keep it behind the truck seat and snap it together whenever we stumbled across something that looked like it needed more holes in it than nature issued out of the gate....

I don't recall any real jamming issues, though I assume he was running the same or similar ammo through it at all times. We never used it as a range pig though either, just a casual magazine or two here and there.... It is indeed the same action as the super reliable 795....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Watched some YT videos on shooting 22LR in the 22 magnum, despite Chiappa's saying not to.

100% reliable in the videos although the cases split. for survival that sounds way more versatile to me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast