Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P-14 info

The barrel knox has a commercial proof stamped over top the British markings. The 'nitro proofed' is part of that, British law required they be test fired and marked as such before going to civilian use. They usually just stuffed it over top of some old military markings. The Broad Arrow and the crown with GR are the British property stamps, the crown with BM is the inspector's mark if I'm not mistaken. We should be able to find out something about him shortly.....

** So the BM with crowns might stand for Birmingham proof house and might be associated with the nitro proof marks and selling the rifle out of service, not initial production, but I'm about at my limit so far as these markings go, so maybe not....
    Last edited by kennymo; 01-10-2016 at 07:39 PM.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Great info thanks alot, anything in the flags crossed with P ?. I also understand this was used as a sniper, what other uses did it have if any? I also got a no.4 mk1 with it but missing a few parts happen to know much about them? ( sorry for so many questions kinda new to the whole gun thing haha)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

( sorry for so many questions kinda new to the whole gun thing haha)
    Hey, no problem!
    That's the entire point of having a forum
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Flags with P are part of the British proof....I think. They'd be original. The rifle was mostly a front line infantry tool, other than a number of sniper conversions, I'm not too sure of any other specialty service. It did serve quite a long while, intermittently. WWII use was mostly guard duties and the Home Guard, who were mostly a bunch of men beyond service age. They did watch for downed German airmen and such, but were mostly supposed to be the start of a resistance movement in case the Germans invaded. As such, they were given a pile of old armaments to stash around the countryside. With only a select few knowing the location of these caches, some were lost and are still turning up occasionally....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Well time to break out the old metal detector and roam the country side! Hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the full wood P17. Great rifles. I paid a whopping $45 bucks for it at the old Okotoks Armoury so it went thru a real Englishman gunsmiths hands also. Some day will find a bayonet for it just in case I need to go over the top someday.

hi there i just acquired a 1917 P14 303 it was sporterised as well there is a fellow in Regina that brings them back to original wood
    how ever the metal pieces are hard to find
    if you know of any for sale please let me know

Thanks to necromancy I just saw Rory's "Kaiser strong-armed" comment and have retroactively awarded him the internet for 1-10-2016

If I can remember to post the photos I took of the markings on mine I wouldn't mind a bit of help with them. Figured out most, but my main question is whether replacement barrels were serialized to the receiver or not.

Mines a 35xxx Winchester, and it's far too nice for a rifle/barrel in use since 1916-ish...

Or maybe I'm just used to Russian sewer pipes
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Usually such subtlety is completely lost on most.
    Too bad the Internet Award has that 2 years less a day time limit.
    Ahh, who am I kidding, I'd have probably just wasted it.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

10. The Following User Liked This Post By Rory McCanuck

Mark-II (02-20-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12