Gunsmith at Ruger Forum discusses 22 ammo types - very informative

http://rugerforum.net/ammo-dump/5981...ed-vs-lrn.html

Check the postings by Iowegan in this forum posting. Lots of good information there on suiting the ammunition with the type of gun. It had never occurred to me that Lapua and similar match grade ammunition with wax coating would foul up a semi-automatic.

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By labradort

DOA (02-02-2016), Marcel (02-20-2016)

The only thing that's really important with any .22, be it a handgun or rifle, is that you absolutely must try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your firearm shoots best. And the cost of it means nothing.
    All the stuff about cleaning .22's is fairly irrelevant as most shooters don't clean 'em often. Even on high end target rifles, they don't need it like a cf does.
    All semi-auto .22's are blow back. Never had any issue with my Smith 41 and lubed ammo. Mind you, Smith 41's are about as particular about what ammo they'll both cycle and shoot well as particular gets. Mine works just fine with the old IVI standard velocity stuff(No. 4 Lee-Enfields and Anschutz target rifles shot it well too) the Queen gave us long ago. And Remington Target. Won't shoot or cycle high end Eley et al worth beans.
    Kind of sceptical about the barrel metals of elderly .22's being mild steel too. Pity that post is so old. Guy needs to document statements like that.

Interesting post...lots of good info on that forum....
    " Better To Fight For Something , Than Live For Nothing " ; " When In Doubt....ATTACK ".......Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

CCI Blazers
    Trust me
    If these don't work then you should send it in for warranty issues

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Satain

3MTA3 (02-03-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Satain View Post
    CCI Blazers
    Trust me
    I'd have said CCI Stingers personally. Ie if you have tried everything else and it won't cycle, try these. Because if the stingers won't cycle the gun, then it's already broken. That and they're absolutely hilarious out of an M&P22.
    Remember High River!

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    The only thing that's really important with any .22, be it a handgun or rifle, is that you absolutely must try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your firearm shoots best. And the cost of it means nothing.
    All the stuff about cleaning .22's is fairly irrelevant as most shooters don't clean 'em often. Even on high end target rifles, they don't need it like a cf does.
    All semi-auto .22's are blow back. Never had any issue with my Smith 41 and lubed ammo. Mind you, Smith 41's are about as particular about what ammo they'll both cycle and shoot well as particular gets. Mine works just fine with the old IVI standard velocity stuff(No. 4 Lee-Enfields and Anschutz target rifles shot it well too) the Queen gave us long ago. And Remington Target. Won't shoot or cycle high end Eley et al worth beans.
    Kind of sceptical about the barrel metals of elderly .22's being mild steel too. Pity that post is so old. Guy needs to document statements like that.
    I don't know how you could have read the information presented by this gunsmith and come to the conclusion the best approach is random purchasing.

I look at it this way: if you have an expert chef, and they say what cheese goes with a pasta dish, you consider it. You don't just buy every cheese and try them all, to eventually learn that most of them suck.

If you don't cook maybe that isn't a good example to pick. Lubricants perhaps? Buy a lawnmower, but don't read the advice on the best suited oil? Try it all. Try gear oil, single weight, multiweight, chain saw bar oil, and so on, and find the one your lawnmower likes.

It is the same with ammo. Informed thinking about this is going to go much farther than only observing the performance of your firearm while cycling through types. You don't know if the performance you see is due to the current ammo, or a lasting effect from ammo just previously tried, or even effects from cleaning solvents or lubricant running into places it doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Satain View Post
    CCI Blazers
    Trust me
    If you read the article...

CCI Blazer is lead round nose. Info on the net says it is coated in wax. Therefore it will foul up a semi as the blowback gases will include the vapourized wax, which over time gums up the semi's action area. I'm sure your first box or two or more will work fine. The article suggests copper plated HV are the best for semi.

I think some people who have grown up in the electronics era have a different understanding that those who fiddle around with machinery. With anything electronic, it is what you test right now that is relevant. The feedback is lightening speed and there is no lasting effect on tomorrow's results. With machinery, including firearms, the physical properties and chemicals are affected by what you did hours, days or weeks ago. I'm glad to have that gunsmith's lifelong experience to understand better what the ammunition makers fail to mention in their packaging or literature.

I have shot them alot in my 10/22's-for me the wax has never been a issue,-22 is notoriously dirty no matter if washed, jacketed or bare lead. I prefer the match loads but they are too expensive. I have shot lots of different brands and the individual rifle, even of similar models, always seems to have a favorite- the CCI Blazers seem to work decently in any of my rifles though.
    "So much of left-wing thought is a kind of playing with fire by people who don't even know that fire is hot.." - George Orwell
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the younger
    FTrudeau

11. The Following User Liked This Post By 3MTA3

Satain (02-03-2016)

WoW
    Guess someone should tell my 10/22 that the ammo shouldn'twork in her.
    But until my inadament object learns to read and write I will be feeding her a steady diet of Blazers
    LoL

When I first read about different types of 22 ammo, all I found was "try 'em all", and reviews of target shooting ammo which implied brands like Lapua had better QC. I also watched some youtube videos of things such as a guy measuring the ammo with a micrometer, again reinforcing the notion that target type was where the quality could be found. I went through a bunch of brands and types, including Lapua, Federal, etc. I found there were too many stove pipes for my liking (probably 1/50). I tried custom ejector parts, cleaning, etc. The one improvement was moving to Winchester copper plated after a good cleaning. I've run CCI mini-mag as well. There has not been a problem since. Both happen to be copper plated HV. Reading the article suggests to me that I shouldn't put any more LRN with wax in my semi. I probably could have saved $100 in not replacing parts, which was the wisdom of the 'net for the 10/22. It isn't a matter of "being educated", but of listening to wisdom and experience. A retired gunsmith is about as expert you're going to find in this area. I'd put that knowledge a few stacks higher than youtubers and people who love to use terms like "a real tack driver".