Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcbecher View Post
    IF RIDING A QUAD TO A HUNTING AREA IS ILLEGAL THEN MOST OF US WOULD BE IN TROUBLE USING THE SEAT AS A REST MAKES SENSE TO ME FOR A CLEAN KILL IF THE QUAD IS OFF THE ROADWAY. BUT CHASING OR RUNNING DEER OR AN ANIMAL INTO A TRAP IS UNSPORTING TO ME AND JUST CHASING OR SPOOKING THEM IS CRIMINAL .
    Yes I don't believe in chasing an animal just for fun. But in Saskatchewan is IS illegal to have a firearm on you while operating a quad during hunting season. But....

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    So besides being unlawful in Saskatchewan what is so bad about the first video? Yes he's using an ATV instead of stalking or all that and Ben called it unsporting. But really I see it just as sporting as baiting an animal. I mean obviously he can't shoot at all so I wonder about him being able to kill an animal at all.

Before anyone starts wondering if I use an ATV to CHASE an animal, no I have not. Have I ever just "road hunted" (driving in a vehicle down logging roads and jump out and shot) then yes I have. I have also stalked game and I've also been in a blind waiting for game to come to a location (non baiting).

But I don't hunt to prove myself as some big white hunter and all that. I'm in hunting to simply put meat on the table. I don't care about antler sizes or weights. Those are just bonuses of filling the freezer. I think arguing semantics of hunting is a waste of breath. If a person takes an animal cleanly and within the laws of that location then so be it.
    I'll bite. This is my opinion, and can be taken at face value. Of course, everyone else is entitled to their own.

The guy in the video is obviously having an issue with hitting things. If you're still missing after the second shot, stop. Either you or your rifle are defective or out of adjustment. You need more practice to avoid injuring an animal without taking it successfully. While I strive for a one shot kill, I realize that this isn't always possible. Still, calm down, take a minute to make sure you put that one shot where it needs to go. If you can't do that, don't take the shot. I've watched a lot of animals get away because I can't get a clean shot. Makes for good stories about the one that got away.

Using an ATV or truck to get you to and from the field is one thing. Using it to run across the field while you are holding onto your rifle is another. It is unlawful in Saskatchewan to have a loaded firearm in/on a vehicle of any kind. Its also unsafe. Lots of guys prefer a mag fed rifle for trucking hunting in this situation, because you can quickly jump out, load, and blast. I've always like a floor plate. If I'm driving along while out hunting, and I see deer or whatever, if I can't take the 5 minutes to find a decent spot to park, load up, and head out reasonably, I'm not going to. This is a bit of a grey area - your mileage may vary.

I've never put out my own bait. There's enough naturally occurring food sources where I hunt that baiting would be counter productive. It just takes some watching to figure out where the animals go.

Hunting is a lot like golf. Realistically, you're only playing against yourself and trying to get that personal best. Sure you got that birdie/big buck - but did you really play by the rules? Did you count that extra stroke to get out of the sand trap? I hunt so I can spend time outdoors with my family and friends. Meat is a bonus.

I can't argue against a clean, humane kill. If you take an animal ethically and lawfully, good for you... but you have to define your own ethics. Fortunately for us, the minimum ethical standard is defined as the basic laws for hunting in your area.

Canadian ForcesGOC Supreme commander zulu's Avatar
    dangerous. i dont think he unloaded before he started driving again.

Honky Tonk Outlaw BuckingFastard's Avatar
    I just watched this from my phone and it hard to tell but looks like a small Cartridge to be shooting at elk with, besides that I don't even want to get started on this guy, just showed total disrespect and disregard for a privlage and way of life that means so much to me.
    "Are you sure Hank done it this way"

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    he prolly moved here from Alberta
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Thought of this thread today, not sure why but I did. I see the videos are down. Any word if these clusterf*cks got what was coming to them?
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for 'em.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me

EM Precision Rifles stevesummit's Avatar
    I subscribed to his channel and got an update a few weeks ago , so I am thinking he is still floating around some place

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12