How to solve Savage Mark II extractor problem

Some Savage Mark II's have been known to have an extraction problem. Generally the bolt fails to extract the round the first time but will usually extract fine if you try a second time. Here's one way that I found can help:

Take out the bolt and clean the face of it really well. Clean the chamber of the gun really good too. Then comes the tricky part.

If you take out the bolt and look you should see a black sort of "C" band that is on the top of the bolt. You will need to pop this off with a screw driver and watch where it lands. Once off you should be able to get at the extractor sections and the firing pin. Inside here usually gets VERY dirty so you'll want to clean this all really well and then lightly oil it. You may need to use a little emery cloth as you might find a little rust on the metal in here. Also before putting the "C" band back on I'd suggest very lightly squeezing it so it fits back more snug.

This is a must when giving your MkII a thorough cleaning and it is really simple to do. I don't clean my MkII much but when I do(usually 1000 round) I make sure to do this. Beats having to do it at the range when extraction issues pop up.

Also when reassembling, you can put the "C" band on first, then slide the extractor in, giving it a light tap to lock it in place.
    You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You may not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home, the first 2 things you are gonna do are 1) Call someone with a gun, and 2) Pray that they arrive quick enough to save you.

Ok, I think I fixed the problem. I took the extractors and firing pin out of the bolt body. They seemed to be moving freely but I did hone the burrs off all three parts and put the bolt back together. Then I looked carefully at the barrel face. Altho I'm careful about not dry firing I could see some very minor marks on the barrel face, so I took a punch with a long taper, inserted it through the receiver into the chamber mouth and gave it two gentle taps with a mallet. Then I worked a mag of cartridges through it. They extracted and ejected flawlessly. I'll have to take it to the range to prove it with a box or two of cartridges but I think I've solved the problem.

4. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By 762shooter

road kill (07-05-2019), Rory McCanuck (07-05-2019)

I had the rifle at the range today. It functioned flawlessly! I think the tap with a long taper punch did the trick. I think it flatenned the bur that was causing the extraction failure.

6. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By 762shooter

Mark-II (07-20-2019), Rory McCanuck (07-20-2019), Swingerguy (07-20-2019)