Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

.223 lee dies and jamming

Hi folks,

New enough to reloading (less than a year) to need to seek advice.

Im using a hornady progressive lock n load press. I mainly load handgun rounds in several popular calibers and have little to no issues.

I have started to load .223 and was told the lee die set was best, and it works well with the bushings on the press.

What has happened is the first die, the resize and deprime die, the deprime pin gets jammed trying to come back out of the brass. The shell rim shaved off and now the brass is jammed in the die.

I should be able to muscle it out eventually however this is not the first time jams have occured.

I do lube the brass before the party starts. Ive only loaded 180 and it was on my last 20 this happened again. I find the .223 to be really hard on the equipmwnt general.

So you die hard loaders of .223 out there, what am i missing that will smooth this out for me?

Thanks for looking and for positive feedback.

I hear you lube them, but the lube itself might suck.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

3. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

Rory McCanuck (02-22-2016)

If it's jamming in the neck region, you might try some dry lube in the case mouth.

Also - chamfer your brass to ensure there are no burrs.

If it's the pin getting stuck in the flash hole, you might have it set too deep.

It's strange - I've never seen a case get hung up so bad on a decapping rod that it tears the rim off. Usually it's a case of too little lube on the outside..

I've only ever loaded .223 on a single stage, and decapping rods only bind for me on new brass - powder residue in fired stuff lubricates sufficiently otherwise.

I had this exact issue with some once fired Federal .223 brass and Lyman dies. I did up twenty or thirty before I hit the problem case. Sheared the rim, I got it out after fricking around with the thing for a bit. Set it all back up and the very next case sheared my decapping pin/expander on the downstroke.... Wound up selling my .223 before the replacement parts came, so I haven't looked at it since. I was going to try lubing the inside of the necks, but I'm trying graphite now for sizing (as recommended by other GOC members). Grab a tube from CT, pour it in a little container and dunk the necks in, in addition to your regular case lube routine. I'm about to find out how well it works on fifty 35 Whelen cases....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    I've seen this with .223 and .204Ruger

lube the inside of the case mouth

dry graphite or motor mica work, or a Qtip or pipe cleaner with your regular case lube.

if you are using RCBS or Lyman lube, make sure it's warm.
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Im using the hornady spray lube in a spray can. You notice the difference with it on the pistol loads but maybe something else is needed.

Right now the case is jammed in the die and the depriming pin will come as far as the neck and not come out. Is there brass so close to 223 that is just a tad different? To me i was sure 223 was the smallest of the centerfire rounds.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...one-shot-spray

I heard bad things about that lube
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

9. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

Rory McCanuck (02-22-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCanuck View Post
    Im using the hornady spray lube in a spray can. You notice the difference with it on the pistol loads but maybe something else is needed.

Right now the case is jammed in the die and the depriming pin will come as far as the neck and not come out. Is there brass so close to 223 that is just a tad different? To me i was sure 223 was the smallest of the centerfire rounds.
    There are several .17's and the .204... That's exactly where mine got stuck. Plus you should be able to read the headstamp on the case to verify the round.... I'd worry about getting it out and then track down some graphite.... Or as suggested, put a tiny bit of case lube inside the neck. I think I'd prefer the ease and relative cleanliness of the graphite myself...

Thanks folks i will be going to my LGS later this week so I will check out graphite then.

In the mean time i gotta fudge with this case till it frees up.

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post

This is the expander getting stuck on the way back out of the case though. Different kind of stuck. It is important to let the spray on lube dry thoroughly though.... I use some Cabela's brand pump, seems to be alright. It's probably just Lee lube mixed with a little alcohol....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast