Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Oh right! The western star thingy
    Yeah one caught on fire when we were working the Hurricane. Poor people nothing but a frame and melted plastic on their lawn.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Canadian ForcesShort end of the Ban Stick normmus's Avatar
    I spent a lot of time in the cab of those. I remember that in extremely cold weather some of the air operated switches wouldn't work until warmed up. As for parts I remember them going through a fair number of alternators. And there are a LOT of grease nipples underneath. Overall it is a good truck in my opinion. No idea where you would get parts.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By normmus

coastal (03-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    No that was the LSVW the one that failed 3 trials but still was adopted. The tactical hear you 3 miles away brakes, the catch on fire stupid heaters. It was a Western star/FIAT abortion.
    :tear

The LSVW...

Memories...

Doing 10km/h on the Deerfoot during rush hour with smoke coming out from under the hood.

Me: "Master Corporal... I'm scared."
    Det Commander: "Me too..."

Back in 2004, driving an LS back to CFB Edmonton from Wainright after a pre-deployment ex with 1 CMBG, we drove by a small town called Kinsella.

As we passed the "Kinsella Kountry Kafe" I looked to my det commander and said "Wait, is that what I think it is?"

He nodded.

"Damn - I sure wish we had some ammo." I said.

Half the LS's on ex didn't make it back to base. Mine did.

Looks like the Kinsella Kountry Kafe got shut down sometime between 2009 and 2013 though:

2009: https://goo.gl/maps/t8sB4L5uNdE2

2013: https://goo.gl/maps/tWVgP4dH72D2

Today: https://goo.gl/maps/pSPE4Aw4Uck

**EDIT - Looks like a couple from Ontario made the move in 2013 and rebranded the restaurant: http://weeklyreview.ca/?p=1867. I hope they stick around now that the Alberta economy is going down the crapper.

(I love Alberta hillbillies)
    Last edited by harbl_the_cat; 03-01-2016 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harbl_the_cat View Post
    :tear

The LSVW...

Memories...

Doing 10km/h on the Deerfoot during rush hour with smoke coming out from under the hood.

Me: "Master Corporal... I'm scared."
    Det Commander: "Me too..."

Back in 2004, driving an LS back to CFB Edmonton from Wainright after a pre-deployment ex with 1 CMBG, we drove by a small town called Kinsella.

As we passed the "Kinsella Kountry Kafe" I looked to my det commander and said "Wait, is that what I think it is?"

He nodded.

"Damn - I sure wish we had some ammo." I said.

Half the LS's on ex didn't make it back to base. Mine did.

Looks like the Kinsella Kountry Kafe got shut down sometime between 2009 and 2013 though:

2009: https://goo.gl/maps/t8sB4L5uNdE2

2013: https://goo.gl/maps/tWVgP4dH72D2

Today: https://goo.gl/maps/pSPE4Aw4Uck

**EDIT - Looks like a couple from Ontario made the move in 2013 and rebranded the restaurant: http://weeklyreview.ca/?p=1867. I hope they stick around now that the Alberta economy is going down the crapper.

(I love Alberta hillbillies)
    Most of the LS driving I did was move it from the armory to the storing lot. Long hauls everybody wanted to drive the LS over the ML, so I took that. Only 1 time I wish I didnt drive the ML and that was on the last day we were in the Valley on work up we were moving from NS to NB. They told me to have a great night and your not driving. so I got hammered and expected to passout in the bus. NOPE... Your driving the ML someone else is more drunk than you...So I sat sleeping in the back of a ML till I was sober enough to drive. That was the worst 8 + hours of driving.

I take the KAF to PBW/MAS/SPERW and every other FOB Milk run hopped up on Rip Its over that NS to NB hungover.

Steyr was good, should have bought a few more and eased the mlvw out....
    Lsvw.....wow good vehicle poorly built here in Canada. Made in Kim Campbell's home riding(correct me if I am wrong). Needed as a minimum a 6 cylinder turbo charged engine and bigger fuel tanks. Way under powered.....
    Drove an Italian army version in Africa and it was a completely different truck well put together and seemed to have more power. Canadian version just was not the same.
    Should have just bought hummers could have replaced both the iltis and 5\4 tons.....would have saved a ton of money in the long run....
    OK back to original question hlvw good to go.

Haha thanks... Hlvw seems to be mostly positive...

Lsvw... Should not be talked about. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Any Canadian forces members have opinions or info on the steyr/utdc HLVW's?

Interested in buying one with a crane on it, but not sure if they are reliable, or if you can get parts for them.
    I drove them when they were new, good trucks, getting parts then was a pain but they were new. (Hell I remember the MLVW being new-ish, and taking possession of our new Iltises. Old am I)

You can also check out www.cariboo6x6.com, he is a few hours north of you. He deals in US trucks if you are interested in ex-military.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By ISaidShotgun!

Swampdonkey (10-05-2017)

I think the HLVW with PLS was a great truck, at least for us CHIMO's. They worked great with the MR/MFB. Only issue is; they where known for blowing hydraulic lines while launching and recovering sections. It got to the point we did spill containment at the launch site prior to actually backing the HLVW into the water.

I never saw them blow a line while setting down a defensive pack, MGB pallets or BBE.... Always in the water.... always involving MR/MFB

My buddy had a hate on for HLVW PLS. Only because someone forgot to torque the lug nuts or something. And around one of the round abouts in Kandahar City. The truck decided that it didn't want a set of wheels anymore. So 2 Rims/Tires off the 1 axle went rolling at high speed, smashing into a Taxi.

My opinions on military vehicles.

HLVW- great truck. Hardly ever had issues with them. My unit also had very few so take it for it worth

MSVW (MLVW replacement) - that thing was nice. It is a modern vehicle with bouncy seats, heater, A/C leg room. From a military point of view it breaks a lot. Lots of plastic and thin aluminum. Lots of busted side mirrors and bent exhaust pipes. Not even from rough use just brushing up against trees. Its also a little bit too tall. You cant easily just climb in and out of the back. Off roading was not its strong suit, not enough clearance. The rear mud flags constantly get broken off and the truck often gets hung up trying to go over stuff. Great high way truck

MLVW - that thing is built like a tank. They say no matter happens you can fix it with a gerber and piece of chewing gun. The issue is they are very very old. Parts are almost non existent you constantly have a good truck that's been beaten to death and fixed with bubble gum and a boot. Also the brakes like to lock up then catch on fire because of the high friction. Guys would not notice the brakes locked up cause the engine was so powerful you did not notice. Off roading it worked great, high clearance and tough as hell. It would not go over 80 on the highway unless you took a run at a downhill.

LUVW (G-Wagon) - this thing was awesome. Kinda small but when it was running it ran great. High clearance good on and off road. The bad part was that its like modern vehicles, all electronic stuff. If some electrical issue came up the whole thing just would not work. Also the interior had a plastic lining instead of the rug stuff normal vehicles have. Little plastic screws held it on so when you drove on a wash board road the plastic lining would violently vibrate and make a sh!t ton of noise. Still really like that thing

LSVW - Honestly everyone on this thread has been way too kind to the LS. This is the biggest piece of sh!t the world has ever produced. I have personally witnessed everything possible thing break on these hunks of crap. Everything on it is a horrible design make out of the lowest bidder parts. Every screw, pin and washer will rust out, break or be lost. The stupid thing will never start in the cold. By cold I mean anything below +15C and won't start in the heat either, by heat I mean +25C. Even when it starts it runs like sh!t. Most of these hunks of crap can't go 100km/hr. I got one up to 105km/hr once going down hill with the wind at my back and it was terrifying. The entire thing was vibrating the engine sounding like it was about to blow a piston through the block, good thing it does not have enough power to that. I had to bring it to that speed because I would not make it up the next hill otherwise. So many times have I hit a hill 200m long and not absurdly steep at 90 to end in barely making it over going 20.

But even with how sh!tty the LS is it never breaks down when you want to it, and when you want it to work it fails hard. Like the time the LS in front of me, the drive shaft decided "nope I am done with this." At max speed (90km/hr) the drive shaft just fell off taking a chunk of transmission with it. It goes flying into on coming traffic then sprays and dumps a bunch of transmission fluid all over the road, and ditch, to make it harder to clean up.

Don't get me stated on comfort. Its better than the ML but it still sucks. Then there is f^$ing Kim f*#king Campbell. F*$k that b!tch. She crippled the military and made soldier lives difficult for decades buying that piece of sh!t. This junk failed every test it was out through. Power, reliably, emissions, you name it. They also did the test in California, it had the best possible chance to passing and it still failed. To this day I still curse that b!tch and so did everyone I worked with in the army. They say if you listen closely even the LS cries "F#&k Kim Campbell" because now it has to die a slow painful death getting physically and emotionally beat by soldiers while it tries and fails everything it does.

13. The Following User Liked This Post By Gnome7500

shootemup604 (10-06-2017)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast