Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Browning auto 5

Canadian ForcesGOC Supreme commander zulu's Avatar
    Yeah that works I think I come back May 5th so that works, now we are both staring at blacksmithden

Canadian ForcesGOC Supreme commander zulu's Avatar
    Have we got bsd in? I just got back from wainwright and might likely go to the fires! If not I'm free next week sometime

Hey Zulu, beautiful gun! I own 3, one of which is a Magnum 12 with a 26" barrel. Mag 12's do not like light loads, I have found correct lubrication applied sparingly to all contact points including the bushings helps out. Oddly enough, my 12 likes Rem Oil with teflon, my 16 & 20 prefer G96.

My two cents: if you are going to have the choke swaged the most I'd have it opened to is a modified choke. You might want to try opening it a little bit at a time, then checking the pattern for tightness of the shot column. It's the old saying, you can always take more off, you can't put it back. The guys above have given some pretty sage advice.

There really isn't anything like the sound of an Auto-5's action being closed is there, unless you prefer the "ping" from a Garand or M1A!!

4. The Following User Liked This Post By GTW

zulu (06-26-2016)

I'm going to have to take mine out for trap.... On a quiet evening when I won't embarrass myself.

...I've yet to move up to a full choke in my regular gun.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Mark-II

zulu (06-26-2016)

When I get past all the crap life is throwing at me right now we'll run your full choke on the practice trap. You'll find the gun will either miss clean or make ink balls. Old time trap shooters say this improves you game because you learn to be more precise. Once your skill reaches a level where the game is more mental than physical the inkballs are a confidence builder
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By R&R Rancher

Mark-II (05-04-2016)

I didn't know that there was a practice one.

I tried an IM the other night and had a decent time with the Remington. It might have just been perception, or the wind, but they seemed to break with a bit more gusto than usual.

Just finished up burning through a flat with both the A5 and 11-87

Did really well with the old "B" gun lol.

Kicks like buggery compared with the gas gun. I think such sessions might be benefitted by a recoil pad in future. This is a ca1953 field gun with a plastic butt plate.

Hell of a fun gun. Fill up the mag and kachunk kachunk kachunk..

hey - i'm sure you knew this but some don't so just in case..... to use lighter loads you have to switch the 'friction ring' around inside the foregrip, and to use heavier 3 inch loads you switch it back the other way. This basically increases the amount of friction so that heavy loads don't damage teh gun but obviously then it's too much for lighter ones to cycle properly. mine always did fine with lighter loads provided i remembered to switch the ring around

Hey I want to come play, I have an A5 on the way, cant wait to try it. I shoot full choke in my over/under for trap.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123