Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    You totally left out Lyman! They're at least Mastercraft or a Chrysler 300.....
    I left out Redding, Forrester, and MEC too (they're making rifle/handgun presses now). I didnt want to overwhelm him with choices.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

I have recently started shooting high power handgun and a powder dispenser is a must. It has cut my reloading time by 2/3rds (more than half). Reloading a few hundred rifle bullets is not the same as reloading thousands of handgun bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua13 View Post
    There are sooo many starter kits. Lee has 3 rock chucker has three. They all seem close to the same but not quite and for someone who has no idea what the differences mean. How do I know I'll pick the right one? I'm fairly certain I want rcbs only because it's green and it seems that there is no advantage over one brand or the other. ...

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk
    Are you loading a single caliber or two or are you looking at multiple calibers? Rifle,pistol,both? Ease and cost of die interchangeability might need to be part of the equation.

Any single stage press bought will always be part of your reloading setup no matter how many other presses you own.

To add another choice look at the Lee Classic turret press.

Ar Rory points out mix and match usually results in a better set up. I'm sure if you created a list and posted it people would provide an opinion or possible suggestion on a piece of kit.

From Lee site-
    Single station presses will load nearly any cartridge. Cartridges are loaded in a batch process, which for example 20 cases are deprimed and sized then the die changed to seat bullets in the 20 prepared cases.

Turret Presses offer single station simplicity and near progressive speed. No need to unscrew dies and on most models the turret advances to the next station automatically. Four pulls of the lever and you have completed a round. Perfect for moderate production of Handgun ammunition. Deactivate the Auto index feature and you can batch reload the longest rifle cartridges. Twist and exchange the turret, snap in a new shell holder and you're ready to load your next caliber.(note-not all turret presses offer auto indexing)

Progressive presses are for very high production of handgun cartridges. Add a bullet and pull the lever all other operations are automatic. Select a Progressive Press if you are shooting more than 500 rounds a week. Change over from cartridge to cartridge can be involved. If you are loading limited quantities of many different cartridges a Turret Press is your best choice.

Ar Rory points out mix and match usually results in a better set up. I'm sure if you created a list and posted it people would provide an opinion or possible suggestion on a piece of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by magnumsmith View Post
    I have recently started shooting high power handgun and a powder dispenser is a must. It has cut my reloading time by 2/3rds (more than half). Reloading a few hundred rifle bullets is not the same as reloading thousands of handgun bullets.
    Yeah, I'm looking into a turret or progressive before I attempt to do another batch of handgun ammo. The last batch of 40 S&W I did single stage nearly killed me. Because I accidentally woke up the wife trying to crawl into bed after finally finishing at two o'clock in the morning.....

Back to Lyman for a second, I'd consider their presses to be a good choice, somewhere in between Lee and RCBS. Though both my Lee and RCBS single stages have served me well.... I gave away the scale and a couple other bits that came in the Lee 100th anniversary kit. The scale worked, but my magnetically dampened Lyman is a fair bit less finicky. I also keep a few miscellaneous Lyman case prepping tools and dies around.... I guess I'm just agreeing with Rory though, you'll likely find that not everything in a kit is the cat's pajamas, and be looking to mix and match a few things once you get settled into it. Maybe you're not a real reloader until there's at least a dozen different colours on the loading bench.
    Last edited by kennymo; 02-18-2017 at 08:28 PM.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Kennymo,
    I can do a steady 175-180 pistol rounds/hr on the Lee Classic Turret at a comfortable pace and switch between caliber plates in under a minute to give you an idea

Quote Originally Posted by ESnel View Post
    Kennymo,
    I can do a steady 175-180 pistol rounds/hr on the Lee Classic Turret at a comfortable pace and switch between caliber plates in under a minute to give you an idea
    Yeah, I'm looking at that and the Lyman and RCBS turret options. I'm probably still too Ukrainian to go full progressive just yet...... Bought a pile of Blazer Brass 9mm and 40 S&W so I'm not in too big a rush...
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Right now I have three rifle cartridges I need to reload:
    300 SAV
    308 Norma Magnum

At some point I'd like to get a 357 revolver so as I can use both 38sp and 357. But that's no time soon

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm looking at that and the Lyman and RCBS turret options. I'm probably still too Ukrainian to go full progressive just yet...... Bought a pile of Blazer Brass 9mm and 40 S&W so I'm not in too big a rush...
    One thing I like about the turret over the progressive is the tactile response I get. On a turret there is only a single operation per pull and if something is wrong it's easily felt.On a progressive you're getting feedback through the handle from multiple stations and a subtle cue is harder to feel.

At $170 for just the turret press( Lee) it's pretty much like buying a single stage.

It should be noted that there are some great online resources from the powder manufacturers as well. Though I'd recommend having at least one manual on hand with a good 'how to' section at the front if you're just starting out. The Lee one is pretty good for that, though he spends a lot of time trying to sell you his product....

I use these ones frequently:

Hodgdon/IMR powders
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com

Alliant powder
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx
    One more I ran across today is a downloadable copy of the RCBS Introduction to Handloading Guide
    http://rcbs.com/Resources/Introducti...x?sf96753097=1
    Download our Introduction to Handloading PDF to use on your smart phone, tablet or print it out to have it as a quick and handy reference on your work bench
    I hope to give it a read, maybe tonight.
    Had a quick skim, and it seemed to hit all the high points.
    No load data of course, but it'll give you an understanding of the process.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    One more I ran across today is a downloadable copy of the RCBS Introduction to Handloading Guide
    http://rcbs.com/Resources/Introducti...x?sf96753097=1

I hope to give it a read, maybe tonight.
    Had a quick skim, and it seemed to hit all the high points.
    No load data of course, but it'll give you an understanding of the process.
    nice find.

thanks for the share.

I may take it in to the office and print it out.... it is only 16 pages.
    Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast