Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    I've used the wheeler kit for a few scopes now. Seems to work acceptably. The receiver level doesn't work with all firearms, but everything else is OK. Take the Loctite out of the case though. The lid sucks, it leaked all over mine....
    I've got Loctite of every flavor all over this place here. LOL. As far as the receiver level goes...I've got a magnetic digital cube level that I bought for doing setups on my milling machine. It's quite small, and should work on pretty much anything with a flat surface of some kind on it. I've been meaning to pick up a proper machinists level, although I don't think you really need that kind of accuracy setting up a scope unless you can figure out a way to hard mount the gun. With one of those, over the length of a 36" lathe, if you put a piece of tissue paper under one end, you'll see it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Anyone know how to align a gun in a vise if you don't have a flat surface?

NVM. I'm making a barrel clamp tool that gives me a flat surface that I can clamp to the barrel ( so I can put on a level ). I'll throw the receiver in the vise upside down being that most receivers are flat. use a level as a ref to calibrate the barrel clamp. Than install it back in the stock giving me a calibrated flat surface.
    I'm lucky from that aspect. The table on my mill is 8" wide and 30" long. I added a set of Grizzly leveling feet shortly after I bought it, and made it exactly 0.00 degrees by 0.00 degrees. I remember checking it a year later, and nothing had moved. It's the one exactly level thing in the house that I know I can go to for precision measuring. I should probably check it again sometime soon, but given that the mill is 1500 lbs, I doubt anything has changed. I'd recommend everyone build some sort of dead flat level work surface at some time or another. It will surprise you how many times you'll use it.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    I've got Loctite of every flavor all over this place here. LOL. As far as the receiver level goes...I've got a magnetic digital cube level that I bought for doing setups on my milling machine. It's quite small, and should work on pretty much anything with a flat surface of some kind on it. I've been meaning to pick up a proper machinists level, although I don't think you really need that kind of accuracy setting up a scope unless you can figure out a way to hard mount the gun. With one of those, over the length of a 36" lathe, if you put a piece of tissue paper under one end, you'll see it.

I'm lucky from that aspect. The table on my mill is 8" wide and 30" long. I added a set of Grizzly leveling feet shortly after I bought it, and made it exactly 0.00 degrees by 0.00 degrees. I remember checking it a year later, and nothing had moved. It's the one exactly level thing in the house that I know I can go to for precision measuring. I should probably check it again sometime soon, but given that the mill is 1500 lbs, I doubt anything has changed. I'd recommend everyone build some sort of dead flat level work surface at some time or another. It will surprise you how many times you'll use it.
    Well its hard to level a rifle in a vise if you dont have a flat surface to put the level. I normally try and do the level the gun and than level the ret by level on the scope cap. But if I cannot get a level rifle, well.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Well its hard to level a rifle in a vise if you dont have a flat surface to put the level. I normally try and do the level the gun and than level the ret by level on the scope cap. But if I cannot get a level rifle, well.
    Well....one option would be to buy a Titpon gun vise/cleaning stand thing. I've got one, and it works well at holding guns steady. Then, place shims under one side or the other...magazines would work ok.....until the thing is level cross wise.

Here's one version of it. Mine isn't quite this fancy, but as long as it has some form of clamp at the rear to hold the stock, it should work.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/5981/tipton-best-gun-vise

Edit....here's the one that I have.

https://www.amazon.ca/Tipton-782731-...words=gun+vise
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 03-09-2016 at 11:57 AM.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Banned
    Spending a few extra minutes mounting a scope properly can save a lot of aggravation at the range. The Wheeler kits help.

RobertMcC
    Well....one option would be to buy a Titpon gun vise/cleaning stand thing. I've got one, and it works well at holding guns steady. Then, place shims under one side or the other...magazines would work ok.....until the thing is level cross wise.

Here's one version of it. Mine isn't quite this fancy, but as long as it has some form of clamp at the rear to hold the stock, it should work.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/5981/tipton-best-gun-vise

Edit....here's the one that I have.

https://www.amazon.ca/Tipton-782731-...words=gun+vise
    I got a plano tool box with rest but annoying to use. I mainly use a padded vise.

But I guess when I finally get that 55 gal tank out of the spare room I can re organize my spare room that I can setup another cabinet to store stuff and get a proper rest.
    Last edited by RobertMcC; 03-09-2016 at 12:13 PM.

Here's a great rest from Hyskor.....their pics, mine has been modified some over the years I've had it......unfortunately they are now discontinued....might be worthwhile building a few?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And for torque wrenches......got mine years ago before there was a demand for all the affordable ones available today.....a Snap-On at about $600 at the time if I recall correctly.

That's one heck of a rest!
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Dmay. ....that is one heck of a nice bit of kit ! I'll pass on the Snap On stuff for those prices. Lol.

Normmus....already ordered it from Amazon. Thanks anyway. You could call me up for a coffee sometime though Mr Anti-social. It's not like your a hundred miles away. Lol.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca

Canadian ForcesShort end of the Ban Stick normmus's Avatar
    Normmus....already ordered it from Amazon. Thanks anyway. You could call me up for a coffee sometime though Mr Anti-social. It's not like your a hundred miles away. Lol.
    I'll be a lot more sociable when I finish school in a couple of months! I'll try to make the next coffee meet.

10. The Following User Liked This Post By normmus

blacksmithden (03-09-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
    Here's a great rest from Hyskor.....their pics, mine has been modified some over the years I've had it......unfortunately they are now discontinued....might be worthwhile building a few?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And for torque wrenches......got mine years ago before there was a demand for all the affordable ones available today.....a Snap-On at about $600 at the time if I recall correctly.
    You sir, have inspired me. These are a couple of infinitely adjustable stands that came off some commercial film projectors. When I salvaged them, I had no idea exactly what I was going to use them for, but I knew they would serve a useful purpose someday. I put one of the ball mounts with a pulley (off another one...I saved about 6) on the bottom of the infamous fuse making machine to make the fuse do a 90 degree corner at the bottom and track exactly where I wanted it to. Now I know that it's time to make a "fits any gun, any height, any angle, gun servicing stand. They're a lot stronger than they look, and don't really flex that much. Tighten down the allen heads on the ball clamps, and you'll bend something before the balls move. Looks like I'll have to live another week longer than my required 150 years in order to slide this project into the pile. Thanks D.

GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast