Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)

Mounting a new scope

Ok. I picked up a nice new Vortex PST 6x24x50 and I don't want to bugger this thing up. I've mounted plenty of scopes in my day, but I've never followed a procedure. It's always been a case of put the rings on....put the scope in the rings....tighten in steps until it feels tight enough.

This scope wasn't cheap, and the last thing I want to do is bugger something up by over or under tightening something. The tag that came on the body of the scope said don't tighten over 18 in/lb. Unfortunately, my in/lb driver only goes up to 7.5 in/lb, so I'll have to round one up that goes up to that high.

So....what are your tips and tricks for properly mounting a new piece of glass ? This thing will be used primarily on a rail on an AR10, but will be put on another rifle at least once in the next year, and will eventually get mounted on a long range rig once I have the funds to build it.
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 03-06-2016 at 12:17 PM.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

I have the Wheeler scope mount kit with the alignment and lapping bars, as well as the Fat Wrench. Some complain the Fat Wrench isn't accurate enough, but it seems to work pretty good for my purposes. I always check the ring alignment, though modern rifles and mounts don't seem to have the issues some of the D&T jobs on older rifles do.... Then lap until I have pretty decent contact area on both rings, clean off the grinding compound and torque the scope down to manufacture's specs while using the set of magnetic levels to keep it all squared up.

I used to just slap and tighten until I hit a set of rings that didn't look too terrible but tweaked a scope tube slightly....thankfully a cheapy....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

Satain (03-09-2016)

I'd suggest high quality rings first of all. Im personally running ATRS x-high rings, did it on my ar-15 and now my bolt gun mounting high dollar scopes without any marks or lapping. At 225$ shipped for 34mm can't really go wrong. 30mm are 40$ cheaper.

I've had one scope on three different rifles, yet only installed the scope in the Rings once. They aren't return to zero rings, but when I swapped back it was only out by 0.2 mrad in elevation and bang on windage.

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    I have an old pos scope I use for alignment/lapping.

You can always fire up the lathe and build your self a kit
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

You need not worry, their warranty is very broad and covers everything including making mistakes you should not make.

RobertMcC
    Tightening I dont find the issue, its aligning the reticle I have a issue with.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By RobertMcC

Rory McCanuck (03-06-2016)

don't tighten over 18 in/lb. Unfortunately, my in/lb driver only goes up to 7.5 in/lb
    With your vice-grip fingers, finger tight
    As BrotherRockeye pointed out, why not just make up a bar? Six or 8 inches long with a handle out the side, I've never measured one, are they a thou or two undersized?

I had a horrible time mounting a scope on a Remington.
    Set the gun up in the vice or the cradle and level it, set the scope in the rings and level it.
    Tighten everything down, scope is crooked.
    After about six tries, did it by eye, and it's fine.
    Turns out, the turret cap on a cheap Bushnell isn't quite exactly square to the reticle.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

I would have removed the cap, and just put it straight onto the turret. More than likely the turret will be square to the reticle, as its what turns the erector.

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    With your vice-grip fingers, finger tight
    As BrotherRockeye pointed out, why not just make up a bar? Six or 8 inches long with a handle out the side, I've never measured one, are they a thou or two undersized?

I had a horrible time mounting a scope on a Remington.
    Set the gun up in the vice or the cradle and level it, set the scope in the rings and level it.
    Tighten everything down, scope is crooked.
    After about six tries, did it by eye, and it's fine.
    Turns out, the turret cap on a cheap Bushnell isn't quite exactly square to the reticle.
    Yup, tried levels, always get cock eyed. I just go by EYE.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I'm not worried about getting the reticle level. I have a digital magnetic cube level that I can stick on the rail. Just get the gun level in my vise, then put a regular bubble level out at the end of the driveway and level the reticle to that. My main concern is not damaging the scope, while getting the rings tight enough that nothing moves. I think I'll make up a 30mm sine bar on the lathe like BrotherRockeye suggested, align the rings it with that and lap if necessary. I just turned the heat up in the garage. I'm off work tomorrow too, so maybe I'll have time to make this, and make up a mag well vise block for the AR as well.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast