Anyone with a Win 1895 hunting with a marbles tang sight?

Hi guys, I have a Win 95 in 30/40 Krag that I'm hoping to hunt with. Unfortunately, with my aged eyes (I have astigmatism and wear glasses), I'm not comfortable using at any target other than paper and have been thinking of something along a marbles tang sight. Was wondering if there were any real life experiences among our membership with said set up and eyesight in similar condition?

Thanx

Tb

My eyes aren't that bad, and I don't have a Marbles sight, but I do have peeps.
    The rear ring seems to actually sharpen my vision a bit.
    The front sight isn't too hard to keep in sharp enough focus.

I have lost the brass bead in low light. Waiting for a doe to make her way around a little rise almost at dusk, I sighted on her a few times and decided to wait. By the time she got to where I wanted to shoot, brought the gun up, and the brass bead disappeared. I could see her fine, there was enough contrast between her and the stubble in the field(no snow) but not enough contrast between the bead and her coat.

I now have a William's FireSight red fibreoptic front bead, and it's the bee's knees.
    Put the big red dot on the deer, bang flop, deer sammich.

The red bead is pretty large though, it covers most of an 8" wide target at 100 yards, maybe 6" wide?
    Not great for fine target shooting.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Yea....Ive got the old guy, read at arms length plue 6 inches eyes. Ive got an 1894 with a Marbles peep (the original ones...close to what they sell today) and an 1894 with a Williams receiver mounted peep. No drilling and tapping required for the latter.I like the Williams better because it doesn't rack the web between my first finger and thumb when I fire it. Do it just right and the thing will actually draw a little blood. You can also get different size screw in apertures for it on Ebay for the Williams. Check around and see if they make them for the 1895.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Liking the idea of the front firesight, good call and it was one of my concerns due to low light conditions.
    Will into these, thanx

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbird View Post
    Liking the idea of the front firesight, good call and it was one of my concerns due to low light conditions.
    Will into these, thanx
    I put a fiber optic on the front of the 94 with the receiver site and it made a lot of difference. The problem I have is that I'm color blind. The Firesight only came in red and it was pretty much useless to me. Those magnetic shotgun sights that Walmart used to sell have the exact same diameter fiber rod in them that the Firesights do. I was able to grind the end off the one in the yellow/green one in the Walmart sight and insert it into the Firesight. A close, but not touching, flame from a Bic lighter heated up one end, and it mushroomed out perfectly and has never moved. Just a tip if you wanted a different color. I think Cabela's still sells the cheap magnetic sights for the donor fiber optic rod.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Good tip to know bsd, thanks for it