Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rookie reloader needs some guidance!

Hey guys, so I just picked up a Rock chucker and Hornady Lock n Load AP and was fiddling around with it last night working on setting up my reloading bench. I took a look at the gear, then at my boxes of range brass and tried depriming a few on the Rock Chucker. The brass/die interaction was so tight I nearly ripped the press out of the bench trying to drop the case out of the die after it was deprimed, so I figured I'd throw them in for a tumble. Once they were done I tried a couple more and even though it was easier to do, the camming action of the Rock Chucker was still pretty "sticky". Did I miss a couple steps here, or is it possible I have some faulty equipment? I'm in the process of reading the ABC's of reloading and then I'll be into the Hornady and Lyman books next, but I skimmed through the index and couldn't see a section that would address this specific question so any input is appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!

LS84

In the thriving metropolis of Beiseker AB.
    Case lube is your friend. And put a little on the moving parts of the press too.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
    You had me at Bacon

NFA

3. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By mavrik9

kennymo (03-12-2016), Rory McCanuck (03-12-2016), zulu (03-12-2016)

^ yup what he said. There are a few types of lube. I like to use the spray stuff. Just dump the brass into a plastic bag or container of some sort with a lid, quick spray in the container, close, shake 'em up and dump onto a tray. I just put a piece of paper towel on the desk works fine for me. Get a spray that has alcohol in it so it evaporates quickly.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that in my op. I used the Hornady One shot spray fairly generously on the cases prior to taking it for a spin. I figured the operation would be smooth as glass but it's almost like the case is getting stuck at the top of the operation.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Longshot84

Kevinw (04-21-2016)

been there done that
    I use it all the time in room temp no problems and is smooth working and better if you let the shells sit for a bit
    I find it works best if you lay brass with case mouth facing you on the same towel all the time, spay a batch then roll them over spray again
    do next batch and then the first will be ready to decap a resize and so on ,so batches of ten ?? or what ever
    then wipe off each shell and your good to go

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Did you set the die up according to the instructions that came with it ? Not all of them get screwed right down to the face of the shell holder before locking them in place.

Put some lube on your hand, and handle the cases. You don't have to cover every square millimeter of them....just get a fine film over at least half of the case. While you're doing that, use a q tip with some lube on it and wipe the inside of the case neck. After doing those things, everything should be going pretty smooth. If you start to get crinkles around the neck of the case, you've got too much lube on them. You'll soon find that you only really have to lube every 2nd or 3rd case as the inside of the die gets a little lube built up in it.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Another thing to check is the vent hole in your die....make sure its clear, or you could be hydraulically locking the brass in at the top of the stroke.

Another less-likely cause could be that the particular "range" brass you're using has been fired in a very sloppy, over-sized chamber and is just hard to re-size....

10. The Following User Liked This Post By Dmay

Rory McCanuck (03-12-2016)

Also, with the spray type lubes, you need to let them dry a few minutes.
    Next time you stop by a reloading store, pick up a tin of Imperial Wax.
    A dab on your fingers, then just handling the case into the shellholder transfers enough lube.
    Stuff is slipperier than goose poop on dewy grass.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

12. The Following User Liked This Post By Rory McCanuck

Mark-II (03-12-2016)

I use the Imp for case forming. If that stuff doesn't work, somethings badly wrong.

Awesome thanks guys. I pulled the decapping die apart, inspected it, double checked and adjusted the depth, applied a more liberal squirt of lube, let it rest a bit and tried another couple dozen and it's much smoother now! Thanks for the help everyone

15. The Following User Liked This Post By Longshot84

Rory McCanuck (03-12-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast