Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
    Nice score! Also I'm jealous of the FT-101 you had there Doug. I remember drooling over the E model. That thing had a noise floor that is still hard to beat.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By LB303

Hidyn (10-17-2019)

Unfortunately my 101 (took a chance on Kijiji) needed too much work, I didn't have the skill or tools. I also recently had a Yaesu FT-902DM which was sweet but also needed similar work.
    Dictionary of the future:
    Global Warming was a popular computer simulation game,
    where the only way to win was not to play.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Doug_M

Hidyn (10-17-2019)

Yeah the 902 was nice. Currently have just an 840 out on the bench, with a random hunk of wire for SWL. Took all my feedlines and verticals down to re-roof the house and haven't had the time/ambition to put them up again. So all the other rigs and associated bits are packed up, and they'll probably stay that way until I retire. I used to marvel at the number of old geezers who had nothing to do but gab on the air, now I'm beginning to see why

6. The Following User Liked This Post By LB303

Hidyn (10-17-2019)

I don’t use my radio as much as I’d like to. Waiting for retirement too lol. Got married later than average and we had our child a little later too. Most of the parents of his peers are 10 years younger than me. Hockey started up for him this week and it’s 4 days a week. Not a lot of time for radios (or shooting) unfortunately. He’s only 13 so retirement is a ways off lol.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Doug_M

Hidyn (10-17-2019)

Yup, when I get set up there's going to be a lot of learnin' going on! Pretty serious piece of equipment to hand over to a total rookie. It's not like any of these things come with training wheels, but you can tell by the manual that in the late 70's early 80's people had a lot more faith in others not being complete idiots.

I wish I had kids. The gf isn't a fan. (Wow, you can tell I spent a LOT of time looking up radio stuff this week, autocorrect kept changing 'gf' to HF lol)

I want to say 'don't wait for retirement to enjoy your hobbies and keep your skills sharp!' but seriously, I don't know where you would possibly find the time. I hope your kid finds shooting and/or radio interesting.

Ugh. I have to re-roof my house ASAP. Maybe next summer I'll pull it off.
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

Well hopefully life will be long enough to enjoy it all in due time lol.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Doug_M

Hidyn (10-17-2019)

Hey Dennis (if you see this), I've decided to refurbish my station. I bought a new truck and installed a radio in it. Got me thinking....

It's been almost ten years since I was active.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
    Hey Dennis (if you see this), I've decided to refurbish my station. I bought a new truck and installed a radio in it. Got me thinking....

It's been almost ten years since I was active.
    Good stuff Andy. You've got an awesome location for damned near any antenna a guy could ever want. We're sitting right in the depths of solar minimum right now, but there will still be good days here and there. I really want to take my portable rig up to the mine and give it a go. I'm pretty sure I could cause a few pileups when I say I'm sitting on the arctic circle. I've been waiting for the new mine manager to come by and say hi so I can corner him and ask if it would be ok. All in good time. Welcome back to the sandbox.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829