Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    SuperFudd Action Figure! SuperCub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Otokiak View Post
    That's a fn beauty tuktu Supercub ... two thumbs up!
    Thanks .... That tuktu is good eat'n too. I enjoyed it a lot.

Red Deer Shooting Centre 50calshooter's Avatar
    WOW Super Cub, amazing...

How does Caribou taste?
    Red Deer Shooting Centre
    403-347-2232
    www.rdsc.ca
    info@rdsc.ca
    SHOP ONLINE!

SuperFudd Action Figure! SuperCub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 50calshooter View Post
    WOW Super Cub, amazing...

How does Caribou taste?
    Kinda like moose, but slightly sweeter.

Honky Tonk Outlaw BuckingFastard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    Kinda like moose, but slightly sweeter.
    The woodland caribou around here taste like muskeg

Btw beautiful animal, congrats
    "Are you sure Hank done it this way"

My first deer

Well, I am no longer a virgin white tail hunter .........

It was opening day, afternoon hunt, 5 p.m. and this doe presented herself to me at about 200 yards.

I just got out of my tree stand, and was on the ground taking one last look around it was getting dark, hard to see, but her ears were just above the tall grass she was in.

Brought my rifle to my shoulder, got her in the cross hairs on the scope, and took the shot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,missed as I did not see her go down.....

I took another look, recalculated the distance in my head, lined up the cross hairs of the scope just to the top of her shoulders, and took another shot....

It was a hit, she took 2 steps and went down, not bad I thought to myself, it was a great way to start the week........

Unfortunately the rest of the week was a bust for the rest of us, lots of sightings, but all were too far to take them down....I guess they will be around for next year..

a few pics of a happy hunter.......

Cheers

I'll play...

2011 Anterless Moose. Opening day, about 2 hours into the season. Caught this lovely young cow just off the edge of a creek, venturing out into some pasture. Probably about 150 yards away, on the dead run towards me of all things. Only took 13 years of being in Super A to get that tag... Nice thing was we were able to drive the truck right up to her.

Recovered both .30 cal 180 gr Nosler E-Tips from her. Weighed 179.2 and 178.7 gr. First shot destroyed her heart, but she was still standing. So I put the second one right into her front shoulder joint for good measure. Using handloads in .300 Weatherby about 2 grains below max charge.

Made some of the most delicious sausage, jerky, roasts, and steaks I've ever had.

Last edited by JustBen; 04-23-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Great pics guys..... I am in the middle of turkey fever right now so I will post up my bird from last spring.....

It was a real crap morning... turkey season is over a month long and we are allowed two birds here.... Rain was coming in phases... one minute pelting the windows of the house the next minute coming down in a fine scotch mist... My alarm shouted at me at 5 am.... I rolled over and smashed the off button... I had already hunted 4 days straight and seen nothing but hens and a few jakes.... I had tried to roost a gobbler the night before but was unsuccessful so I would have to hit a known run and hope for the best.... all of these factors made me think it was a good day to sleep in and recharge the batts.... but being who I am I gave my head a shake.... I took a week off work for this... I bought land for this and I lived for this all year long.... and if big tom showed up on my trail cam while I was drinking coffee and watching sportsdesk I would be pissed at myself beyond belief.....

I trudged out of bed and into a nice hot shower as I hit the button on the coffeemaker.... I threw my long underwear on and went to grab my vest and gear only to realize that I left them on the deck... a quick shine of the deck light confirmed my suspicion... SOAKED.... I took a quick glance at the weather netwrok and it gave me the details.... rainy on and off all day and a high of 20 celsius.... ugh... I eyed the coffee, the remote and the couch once more and then said "screw it".... I am up now I may as well be hunting..... I went down to the hunting closet in the basement.... I looked at my options... realtree deer suit.... no... not at 20 celsius.... snow camo... no... blaze..... obviously not... cabelas trebark outfit circa 1993 .... ummm..... it'll have to do....

I slipped it on and I went upstairs and poured coffee in my thermos.... I grabbed a backpack and tossed in my waterproof box call and my decoys.... grabbed a handful of black licorice babies on my way out the door and away I went....

By this time, daylight had already broken the sky..... I had missed the fly down so I needed to get to where I was going in a hurry.... I went out the back door and walked briskly through the woods on trails I am very familiar with..... As I got to my favorite turkey run I slowed down in an effort to creep in and position myself...... at this time, the rain was fairly steady... the back of my neck was soaked with rain from branches i had pushed aside and the mosquitos were on me pretty heavy..... I now realized I had no bug spray and with no turkey vest I had no seat...

As I crept slowly into my spot I looked ahead and saw something you never want to see unless you are hidden and ready to pull the trigger... a fan.... I stood still and peeked through trees and brush to see 3 hens and a Tom on the trail.... I couldn't see how big the tom was or even if it was actually a tom or a jake... I just knew it was strutting...... after 5 minutes of observation that felt like an hour I decided to try and work into a shooters position.... I got as far as 3 steps until the birds scattered down the trail.... it's true what they say... you can't sneak up on a turkey....

I had only one chance.... throw the decoys out... get hidden and start calling out for the Tom to come back.... I rushed to get the stakes in the ground... so much so I snapped one... I carry 3 decoys and as such losing one... not a good prospect... I set up a hen deke... then a jake deke to make it look like he was trying to mount the hen and I had to improvise for the 3rd.... I buried the broken stake in backwards and just hap hazardly positioned the hen on the broken stake.... I retreated to my hiding spot and began to make an excited hen call on my box call..... no responce.... I wait 5 minutes... try again... nothing... then I see movement.....

I make a few purrs on the box nice and slow and make sure the gun is at hand.... I watch as the movement goes behind the some shrubs.... I shoulder my shotgun and get ready for the bird to come out the backside.... safety now off... suddenly the bird emerges and I put the bead 4 inches down the neck and get ready to pull.... I look closeley... this is not the bird I want nor the bird I am allowed to shoot... small, tiny head, no snood = hen... I lower the shotgun and watch as she walks around picking at the ground and doing what turkeys do..... after 5 minutes I decide to amuse myself... when the hen isn't looking I slowly pick up my box call..... as her back is turned I use the call to make an excited hen yelp.... she raises her head, looks in my direction and slowly starts to walk away... so I decide to make a few cuts and purrs... nothing.... then one more excited yelp to see if she will come back....

Out of absolutely nowhere and thin air a grey blur busts through the underbrush and lands on my jake decoy!.... my improvised hen falls over and gets the pecking treatment.... now, I don't do the finesse slowly bring the gun up approach... I have been doing this for years and I know this is a pissed off tom.... I just don't know how big... at this point... after the weather, the spooked birds, the rained on vest... I don't care.... I grab the 870 and in one upland game type move turn off the safety , swing the gun, and find the halfway point between the head and the breast and I pull the trigger....

Almost on cue the bird drops, and the flapping begins... I know I have hit it...... I chamber round two and am ready to end any suffering..... no need.... one wing now flaps slowly due to nerves.. but the bird is gone.. suffering is over.... I wait 5 minutes and enjoy the moment... I contemplate the fact that I toughed out crappy conditions and am happy that I was able to improvise my set.... I have a few swigs of coffee from the thermos and then get up to examine my trophy....

It's not the dominant bird for the area... beard is about 5 inches.... smallish spurrs... but a nice bird nonetheless.... I proceed to tag him and bring him home.... all said and done I get a pic taken and I weigh him in..... 24 pounds undressed... very nice....

Stuffed with apples and baked after being coated in lemon juice and a salt and pepper rub he was able to amply feed 6 people.... with enough left to make a soup....

If this year's hunt goes as well.... or offerws as much opportunity to challenge adversity.... I will be a very happy man soon....

It's no fun punning with a Kleptomaniac... they keep taking things, literally.

Honky Tonk Outlaw BuckingFastard's Avatar
    Nice work, looks like a nice young cow, I bet it taste even better
    "Are you sure Hank done it this way"

I'd love to hunt moose, elk, deer and believe it or not I've got a woody for hunting turkeys ... keep reading all these posts on gunsites about turkey hunting ... it looks fun! Keep your pics coming folks as they rock! Cheers,

Otokiak
    Rankin Inlet, NU
    CANADA
    "Life is grande, even at the worst of times!"
    "Oooh tha lord ... said when I met my avatar's snoobies!"

Quote Originally Posted by Otokiak View Post
    I'd love to hunt moose, elk, deer and believe it or not I've got a woody for hunting turkeys ... keep reading all these posts on gunsites about turkey hunting ... it looks fun! Keep your pics coming folks as they rock! Cheers,

Otokiak
    Rankin Inlet, NU
    CANADA
    It goes without saying that you are welcome to some here and have a place to stay and I will act as outfitter for you if you want to take a turkey bud.....
    It's no fun punning with a Kleptomaniac... they keep taking things, literally.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast