Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by infidel29 View Post
    micromoles/litre. a micromole is one millionth of a mole
    ... and a macromole is a groundhog.

2. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Zinilin

Candychikita (04-16-2016), labradort (12-18-2017), lone-wolf (04-15-2016)

Token Female Moderator Candychikita's Avatar
    Never done a lead test on my blood. There was a guy that used to show up at my indoor range in a full white suit and a respirator that was the subject of much snickering, but never bothered. I don't shoot as much indoors as I did in the past.

My dad had heavy metal poisoning from the work he did with paints and solvents over the years...we just thought the mood swings and such were just him being a hot head. Chelation therapy works well.

I wanna get tested for metals in general and see what kind of crap is in my blood thanks to the filthy trade I work in. I don't deal with lead too often though, at least not directly. Who knows whats in the fumes some of the coatings on steel gives off though. Respirator...all...the...fricking...time...

I need to book an appointment for a physical but I need a new doc first. My current doc barely speaks english. I have a better chance of looking at the results and comparing them to medical texts to figure them out than trying to understand what my doc says...
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobusten View Post
    I shoot outdoors so I'm not worried about it.
    For some reason everyone assumes that high lead levels are a ventilation issue. This may or may not be the case. There are many routes to contamination and most are more related to hygiene than ventilation. For example, do you reload? Do you cast bullets? Do you eat after or while handling ammunition? What about firearm cleaning? Handling of used patches? If you use an outdoor range do you consider the lead dust on firing line surfaces? Do you eat or drink on the firing line? Wash your hands after shooting?

^Yep. Simple. We all get older before we get wiser.

When I started processing range scrap I just had my doc add it on to the battery of blood tests I get twice a year.

I swear they must be tapping me for half a pint now..so many tubes......

But my levels are normal

I worked at an indoor range for many years. I rarely wore a mask and my last blood test before I left was 0.6 micromoles/liter. Wash your hands every time you finish shooting and if you have a long day change your clothes and have a shower when you get home. The majority of lead that ends up in your blood is ingested lead salts that end up on your hands from the primers.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Hookturn

Mark-II (04-17-2016)

Always against the grain Booletsnotreactwell's Avatar
    It's * all, lead levels used to be stupid high in everyone by today's standards when leaded gas was legal, and you were all born to parents who used leaded gas, smoked (inside too) and probably drank while pregnant.

Wouldn't be concerned.

And we had the imminent threat of nuclear destruction hanging over our heads lol.

x2 for hygiene.

YOLO.

I was worried to death when I found out I had high lead level, especially before I had kids. All my kids are perfectly normal.

Now I just make sure to keep a tube of DLEAD soap in my vehicle, range bag, washroom, and shower. Whenever I handle guns / ammo, before I eat, drink, or do anything else, I wash my hands, face, and if coming back from the range, shower.

I also wash my clothes separately using DLEAD laundry detergent and avoid walking in my house with my range footwear.

I stopped worrying about it after that - also I stopped eating chips and chicken wings while reloading (and started wearing vinyl gloves).

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast