Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Guy I worked with was 8 uMol/L. He was gone for a month. Paste mixer for the battery plates paste. Forgot to wear his respirator a lot. He got a new job in a different part of the plant. I polished the machine that injected the paste into the plates, 5 nights a week.
    Everyone in the plant had their blood taken monthly and some of us weekly. $5.25 an hour in 1978.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I’ve been shooting indoors for a year now at the range close to where I live in the GTA. On the first day I went afterwards I blew my nose and it had black crap in it and I could taste the fumes in my mouth. I said enough of that and bought a respirator and wore it every time.

I changed the two canisters after about 15 trips and cut them open. They were grey black inside.
    I would say 50% of the shooters at my range wear masks and all the employees do as well.

Frankly I would not shoot indoors without a mask unless it’s like a one off thing for 20 mins.

If you’re at the range on a Monday morning by yourself it’s not too bad but on a Saturday afternoon with 20 lanes full of firing you can even get some taste through the respirator. I couldn’t image being in there with no mask. Crazy!
    CSSA, CCFR

Cannisters? What kind of mask are you wearing? If you get taste or odour through the mask either you are wearing it wrong or its the wrong kind of mask.

Typically canister type masks are for organic fumes/vapours and won't be effective against dusts. You should be wearing an N95 dust mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    Cannisters? What kind of mask are you wearing? If you get taste or odour through the mask either you are wearing it wrong or its the wrong kind of mask.

Typically canister type masks are for organic fumes/vapours and won't be effective against dusts. You should be wearing an N95 dust mask.
    This is the mask I use. I purchased P100 carbon filters, which does dust AND fumes. But my glasses fog up, while wearing it. But if I wear it, nobody can understand the words that are coming out of my mouth.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

P100 filters. Same as these but I got from amazon. A box of 10 I think.
    https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    CSSA, CCFR

I had mine tested about a year and a half ago at my annual 5 year check up. It came back "no perceptible lead". I was hoping for a number.
    It will be a good baseline though because I hadn't even been to the range for about 8 months before getting tested. Since being tested I started shooting a lot of indoor IPSC. Some ranges with poorer ventilation you can really tell you're inhaling crap when your down range patching. I'm hoping my level doesn't increase too much at my next annual in 3 years or so.

I work with lead as an occupational hazard. I also shoot outdoors. I never got tested, but was curious.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By awndray

RangeBob (04-22-2019)

For an interesting conversation about lead, check out Ryan Cleckner's latest episode of his podcast.

https://ryancleckner.com/going-ballistic-podcast/

Insightful.

Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    For an interesting conversation about lead, check out Ryan Cleckner's latest episode of his podcast.

https://ryancleckner.com/going-ballistic-podcast/

Insightful.
    Interesting bit about lead isotopes, near 12 minutes.
    That the lead in the California Condors had the same isotope of lead as the paint that was flaking off the abandoned military base buildings, but not the same isotope of lead used in fishing sinkers and bullets. Therefore it wasn't the fishing sinkers and bullets/shot that gave the condors lead poisoning. And there were pictures of the condors eating the paint from the buildings.
    (compares to aluminum in people which isn't a problem although they thought it was, and eating fat and eating broccoli, and all lead is now recycled so bullets no longer have single isotope it's all from China now, handrail vs gloves, no elevated levels of lead in hunters including those who spit out lead shot at the dinner table, most lead that shooters get is from the primers you can get non-toxic primers, AR15 silencers blow back molecular lead at your nose)

His comment about microwaves having to be the length of the cell to heat them up is wrong. Kitchen microwaves have a wavelength of 10cm in air, and about 2cm through water.
    Last edited by RangeBob; 04-23-2019 at 10:14 AM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast