Senior Member Weekend Gunslingers's Avatar

Great AR...on a budget

Hi folks

Lots of people have been asking about AR's on a limited budget. So we made a video hoping this would be helpful to some.

"Never step in anything soft"
    Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYm...-sW1YrMRwIkTaQ

Always against the grain Booletsnotreactwell's Avatar
    Not to shit on the video but it doesn't really entail all that much.

The basic premises to get a cheap AR nowadays is to simply buy a cheap AR... Basically what this video tells you to do. As for actually building an AR, unless you want to go deal hunting/scavenging the EE for yard sale price parts the whole cheap build thing where guys showed you all the key parts to buy and from who doesn't really apply anymore since actually building a rifle from scratch generally costs more than most OEM options.

As for making it "great", there's nothing inherently "shitty" with the stock M4 furniture that was replaced or the stock Core 15 rifle as a whole, adding Magpul stuff other than the BUIS/charging handle didn't really make it anymore "great". Unless you consider having it look up to par with what people think is a "Great" AR, not much just happened. The optics recommendations was about the only thing that suited the theme, the rest was here hook this up to your gun and this is how much it'll cost.

This guy from the forum is more along the lines of how a "how to build for cheap" goes and actually does it with yard sale parts hunting. It shows you what you get, why it's great or greater than an equivalent offering of the same price addressing the "great" and "on a budget" part.

http://tv-presspass.com/build-yourse...t-doesnt-suck/
    Last edited by Booletsnotreactwell; 04-19-2016 at 03:05 AM.

The basic idea was just to show a few inexpensive options that are out there to make your AR the way you like it and that inexpensive does not always mean a low quality product. Thank you for your feedback though. Appreciate it.

4. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Weekend Gunslingers

Doug_M (04-19-2016), RatherBeCamping (04-19-2016)

have to agree with Boolets in that the video only illustrates what's available to bolt on. There was no discussion about quality materials for barrels, bolts, or receivers. Nor was there any mention of buying properly inspected bolts and barrels. The gas system shown is a carbine gas which by the numbers is inferior to mid length or rifle length and yet was not even mentioned. Changing the stock and forend provides absolutely zero tangible performance gains over stock offerings. The budget when deciding on a firearm isn't on the firearm itself. The budget needs to be allocated for ammo and training. The rifle is a one time fixed cost as is the optic and any other accessory, Training is pricey but offers great return on investment but ammo is where the money really goes.

TDC

Quote Originally Posted by TDC View Post
    have to agree with Boolets in that the video only illustrates what's available to bolt on. There was no discussion about quality materials for barrels, bolts, or receivers. Nor was there any mention of buying properly inspected bolts and barrels. The gas system shown is a carbine gas which by the numbers is inferior to mid length or rifle length and yet was not even mentioned. Changing the stock and forend provides absolutely zero tangible performance gains over stock offerings. The budget when deciding on a firearm isn't on the firearm itself. The budget needs to be allocated for ammo and training. The rifle is a one time fixed cost as is the optic and any other accessory, Training is pricey but offers great return on investment but ammo is where the money really goes.

TDC
    Thanks again for the feedback, I appreciate you taking the time. I agree 100% that you should invest whatever your means allows in training with each firearm you own. This video was intended to show that there are some quality products out there (rifles and accessories) that are relatively inexpensive and not intended as a "build" video. The video does lack technical specifications but a link was provided for a more in-depth look at the particular rifle's specs (barrel, bolt, materials used etc.).

Again, I appreciate the feedback and will incorporate it in future videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Weekend Gunslingers View Post
    Thanks again for the feedback, I appreciate you taking the time. I agree 100% that you should invest whatever your means allows in training with each firearm you own. This video was intended to show that there are some quality products out there (rifles and accessories) that are relatively inexpensive and not intended as a "build" video. The video does lack technical specifications but a link was provided for a more in-depth look at the particular rifle's specs (barrel, bolt, materials used etc.).

Again, I appreciate the feedback and will incorporate it in future videos.
    I did not see the link so i take back some of my criticisms.

TDC

If you want an excellent, viable cheaper AR, you can buy a North Eastern Arms for roughly $900. You would also be supporting a Canadian Company. I bought a 12.5 inch and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by UhOhFordGuy View Post
    If you want an excellent, viable cheaper AR, you can buy a North Eastern Arms for roughly $900. You would also be supporting a Canadian Company. I bought a 12.5 inch and I love it.
    Personally I have heard mixed reviews on the NEA. I would love to hear about your personal experience with them though.