Whats with all the smoke?

I reloaded some 9mm 124gn LRN with 3.8gn Vhitvuori N320 with CCI primers and some .45 ACP with 230gn LRN on 6.0gn Longshot with CCI primers.
    SMOKE! Holy crap I thought this stuff was supposed to be smokeless.
    Am I missing something? Using the wrong powder? Wrong primers? Are hand made cartridges just typically more smokey?
    I had a couple store bought rounds in my ammo box so tried them and practically nothing smoke wise.
    Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated as the mosquitoes up here are HUGE and they are drawn to the smoke like flies to garbage. I am one big bite mark.
    CFSC and CRFSC Instructor to Santa

Cast bullets are smokey. Some more than others. It's the lube burning off.

For 9mm I switched to plated, for little more than the cost of commercial cast. I still shoot lead in everything else. No lube on those, so no smoke but for a whiff from the powder.

The alox lubes smell the worst

Don't worry - if they shoot straight you're doing it right

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Mark-II

greywolf67nt (05-09-2016)

They don't shoot so straight but I think that is mostly these are my first home rolled rounds so I might have been flinching just a teeny bit when I pressed the trigger. The first 20 or so were fairly wide to the right (6-8") but the last 9 were pretty much were I intended them to go.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By greywolf67nt

Rory McCanuck (05-09-2016)

If you used jacketed bullets there will be no smoke. I bought some Wolf swc and the smoke is like shooting black powder. Switch to plated or jacketed and there will be no smoke with N320.
    Member- NRA NFA CSSA CSC

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Reeferman

greywolf67nt (05-09-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf67nt View Post
    They don't shoot so straight but I think that is mostly these are my first home rolled rounds so I might have been flinching just a teeny bit when I pressed the trigger. The first 20 or so were fairly wide to the right (6-8") but the last 9 were pretty much were I intended them to go.
    Just so long as you were doing the safety squint...
    I remember my first ones quite well, out in the middle of nowhere, 10 miles from town, and who knows when the next time someone stops in will be.
    After the first one went bang, and nothing bad happened, I was hooked!

Some lubes are smokier than others.
    Some powders are smokier than others.
    Some combinations of lube and powder make quite the mess.

Lee Alox lube, with mouse-fart levels of Unique powder, pushing round balls ( little bearing surface, so little friction to build up any pressure) made a smokey, gooey mess of my barrel. A couple hot loads cleaned everything out nicely, though.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Shoot the thing from a rest to get an idea of accuracy. Load maybe 30 rounds at each increment that you want to test, working up to max. I'd say .3 to .5 gr increments.

For 9mm I always seem to end up at one step below max or at book max (Lee auto disk doesn't give a whole lot of options) for good target accuracy.

It's probably the only round that I load "hot". Mostly because max loads rarely equate to best accuracy. Also because I don't like getting beaten up by the bigger ones

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    Shoot the thing from a rest to get an idea of accuracy. Load maybe 30 rounds at each increment that you want to test, working up to max. I'd say .3 to .5 gr increments.

For 9mm I always seem to end up at one step below max or at book max (Lee auto disk doesn't give a whole lot of options) for good target accuracy.

It's probably the only round that I load "hot". Mostly because max loads rarely equate to best accuracy. Also because I don't like getting beaten up by the bigger ones
    Rory pointed me in the direction of the Lee adjustable powder bar to replace the disks. Here's hoping I can have something other than bare minimum or right at the max.

as some pointed the cast bullet lub is the culprit here.

VV320, you can't find a powder that burns as clean than this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    This intellectual midget needs to rub the contents of a large tube of PREPARATION Hģ on his ego and then smack himself with the empty tube until he's in a permanent coma. !

Mosquitoes are kept away with smoke. 500-1,000 mcg of B-12 daily does too.
    Anyway, some powders burn dirtier than others. Nothing to do with factory or reloading.
    Isn't likely to matter, but both those loads are Start loads. Not particularly hot loads either. Work up from them to the max load looking for the most accurate.
    "...They don't shoot so straight..." That's not the load. http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/Pi...t_Analysis.pdf

I've looked at the adjustable bars, but I like the idea of getting the press set up, seeing what charge the disk REALLY throws (the published chart is never right) and then cranking out a few thousand rounds without having to worry about checking the measure for drift

I have a double disk kit, which would give a whole whack more combinations, but I mostly bought it for the day I try .223 or 300AAC on the Pro1000 (think I'll have to size on a single stage first, though...

The distances I can hold a pistol steady enough to shoot a group at, the increments available always give me at least one good node. Gets a bit more tricky when dealing with 4 or 8 .357's in handgun and rifle....