Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage Mark II

Savage Mark II

Hi everyone,

Iím looking into my first 22lr for target shooting and am strongly considering a Savage Mark II. Because of budget, I was looking at the FV model but have read many reviews from people mentioning that the synthetic stocks on Savage rifles (or at least the Mark II) are pretty bad. I know many people in the States are buying the FV model and swapping the stock for a Boyds, but thatís likely to end up costing moreÖ

1) I was wondering if you think itís worth springing the extra $150 for a model BV with laminate stock (based on Cabelaís pricing)

2) Is there any advantage to going with a SS barrel (e.g. model BTVS).

Thanks for your input.

the drop on the plastic stock is so much that you won't be able to get a decent cheek weld. If you want the heavy barrel then yes, go up to the laminated stock. Stainless steel looks good and gives a bit of resistance to rust but you still should not put it away wet, also, it doesn's show rubs as much as a blued rifle does. They are great guns for the money.

Uncle has a blued synthetic heavy barrel Mark II, though whether it's dubbed FV or something else escapes me at the moment. It's an excellent shooter and an excellent value IMO... Synthetic or laminate, it's probably going to come down to personal preference. I've found Savage synthetic stocks to be serviceable. Can't say too much more about them . I'd probably prefer the laminate myself, but now that one of the sponsors is pulling in Boyd's stocks we can get them at a little more reasonable price if you go synthetic and change your mind later... A suggestion: head to a gunshop that has both in stock if possible. Handle both, then make your choice.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Quote Originally Posted by 762shooter View Post
    the drop on the plastic stock is so much that you won't be able to get a decent cheek weld. If you want the heavy barrel then yes, go up to the laminated stock. Stainless steel looks good and gives a bit of resistance to rust but you still should not put it away wet, also, it doesn's show rubs as much as a blued rifle does. They are great guns for the money.
    Exactly this. I bought the FV, and I eventually got my hands on a BV for the stock. It's stupid that the bull barrelled versions (no sights) come with the same stock as the iron sighted version, as it just doesn't work well for using optics.

Awesome, thanks for your quick replies. I will definitely take a look at both, but I think this gave me the nudge I needed away from the synthetic stock. Cheers!

I sprang for the high end one myself. Love it.

A CZ 455 or a used 452 isn't much more expensive and is superior in quality and arguably accuracy

8. The Following User Liked This Post By mastermind

lone-wolf (06-08-2016)

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    Savage Mark II - made in Canada
    CSSA

10. The Following User Liked This Post By Billythreefeathers

Stew (02-23-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    I'd probably prefer the laminate myself, but now that one of the sponsors is pulling in Boyd's stocks we can get them at a little more reasonable price if you go synthetic and change your mind later... A suggestion: head to a gunshop that has both in stock if possible. Handle both, then make your choice.
    Which sponsor has Boyd's stocks? My keyboards "C","A","N" and "D" keys are worn off from me trying to Google stuff in Canada.

I'm thinking of getting my kid an FV-SR and plopping it in the Boyds.

Mine's the heavy barrel, and yeah, the stock doesn't give me a good cheek weld while looking through the scope at all. So I got a cheek pad for the stock, and away I went.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast