Thread: Junkyard dog

Bladesmith

Junkyard dog

I dont name my knives it requires too much creativity, however this one screams junkyard dog. It might not be much to look at but watch your hands. The handle is something I wanted to try after I saw pictures of Lin Rhea XRhea handle (Lin came up with it and dose it right). The whole thing is 1084 edge quenched, forge finish and a cotton wrap soaked in epoxy. The handle is a lot harder to do then it looks.

Comments good bad or otherwise are welcome

2. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By Brad

Fredo (05-17-2016), jwirecom109 (05-16-2016), kennymo (05-16-2016), Northshore (05-17-2016), Prairie Dog (05-16-2016)

I like the looks of it, the parang style handle shape is likely very comfortable to hold. I just wonder if it would have a tendency to try and twist if used in any chopping fashion, as the cross section seems narrow?

It's very cool and certainly artistic - how does it actually hold in the hand? Seems like that almost pistol grip style might not be very comfortable. It's a very cool piece tho.

Bladesmith
    The knife is like a pistol grip. It chops really well, the bars are different to hold because your hand fits into the gap there was no twist when I was hacking some hardwood in to. The other thing is there was no hand shock which surprised me, I guess it's like a spring suspension.

I like to make unusual stuff and this fits the bill. I'm all ready planning the next one

Looks more alien then junkyard dog to me. Besides Kershaw already has a junkyard dog knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    The knife is like a pistol grip. It chops really well, the bars are different to hold because your hand fits into the gap there was no twist when I was hacking some hardwood in to. The other thing is there was no hand shock which surprised me, I guess it's like a spring suspension.
    That IS surprising - proof again that you just never know till you try. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I like to make unusual stuff and this fits the bill. I'm all ready planning the next one
    Ahhh the hallmark difference between the artist and mere manufacturer I'll be waiting to see what's next.

Positively love it, awesome job. Looks like it's something you may find on Charlize Theron's belt in Mad Max Fury Road.
    Last edited by Fredo; 05-17-2016 at 07:55 PM.
    French Frank, not Euro trash.
    When in doubt, ask Steve!

Beautiful Hamon

Very cool. Nice work!