Love me some Val Browning too

I just payed far too much for a Browning Double Auto Twelvette that is not nearly in as nice a condition as it appeared in the ad.

But shooting it got me out of my funk in a hurry.

This thing is tiny, light, points like a stick, is AWESOME for lefties (the sinistral set rather than the commie wannabes) and sproings like a tightly wound pogo stick.

And it is DEADLY on the trap field.

I mean - just flick it at the bird and pull the trigger and Poof ....Well.... 22 or 23 times out of 25...

I need to find a minty steel frame one now

This one I'll shoot until it's a pile of parts.

Browning needs to bring this one back.

...except that if they did it would be an inertia driven gun in the same shell and thereby lose all of its charm (I'm looking at you, A5...)

Oh yes... I also discovered the truth in not letting my lubrication obsession apply to the mag tube on the Auto 5... It kicks a whole lot less now..
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Mark-II

kennymo (05-29-2016), R&R Rancher (05-29-2016)

If it works for you, what ever you do, DON'T SELL IT! Most guys would give their left, er, oops, family forum, for a gun that shoots that well for them. And a lot of trap shooters moan about a gun they could shoot well and sold it looking for that elusive one more target.

Sure hope I can get out to shoot soon. My son has shot more this year, in the junior program, than I have. He switched to my 1100 field gun and it seems to suit him 16,15,16,11 and 16 over the last two weeks.
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

I'll keep it till it falls apart lol

I may have just had a really good day. I tried it at 5 stand when I offered another fellow a go with the 97 riot gun. Didn't do any worse than usual - I usually get 10-13 on a good day there.

I'll have to bring out the 11-87 more, even as a backup gun. The Remington's are great.

I find I shoot the O/U less and less. I should give it a workout and decide whether it's a keeper or not, because right now auto loaders seem to be my thing...other than picking up hulls...

I hesitated too long on an unfired miroku auto 5 last week. I should have jumped on it. Could have sold a few things quickly to fund it

Hope to see you guys there soon
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

I am kicking myself for snubbing my nose at the Val Browning Double Auto. Back in the late 70's early 80's, I could have had my pick of new ones from a place in Thunder Bay called "West End Hardware". Instead, being young and foolish and believing that superior hunting results were based upon magazine capacity, I went with a B-2000 then eventually to an Auto 5. I mean, who needs two shots when 5 will do, right?
    Time marches on and with experience comes wisdom and skill. I find myself using the Auto 5 less and less (even though I love it) and using an Upland Special or 20 ga. Featherweight Citori more and more. Sure wish I knew then what I know now. Congrats on a fine piece of steel.

I know you've got a slight disdain for the 'modernized' A5, but the thread reminded me of something I came across the other day: http://www.browning.com/products/fir...t-sixteen.html

Browning has brought back the Sweet Sixteen. Scaled down A-5 receiver, and a sales pitch somewhat along the lines of 'a well designed 16 gauge weighs in somewhere close to a 20 gauge, with a shot payload closer to that of a 12 gauge. And a shot pattern better than both.' After fondling my buddy's new A-5, I could be easily talked into taking a close look at one of these with some nice blueing and wood over the run of the mill matte or camo synthetics that are all over the place...
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

The B-2000 looks interesting to lefty too, but I shouldn't go there.

I'd really have to shoot some sort of kinematic gun to develop a proper opinion on the mechanism. From all I've read about them they may as well be fixed breech guns for all that they cushion recoil.

16 gauge would be out, though. 20 is a possibility, even though the ammo is still overpriced.

Browning is conflating inertia with short recoil mechanism I see.... Inertia is more like a delayed blow back system, from what I've seen of how it operates.

I see there's a light 12 A5 over at the other place. The receiver looks pretty bad for dings, scratches and maybe even rust, though. Hard to trust a guy who doesn't have a picture of the cosmetic issues... I'm philistine enough to overlook that if the price is right, but I don't know that it is..