Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RobSmith View Post
    So if I understand the concept correctly the idea here is to weld the gas cylinder to the plate thingy that mates it to the stock ?
    Yep...
    The whole secret to accuracy in semi auto firearms is repeatability. Hence why you weld this. But it is my lame man's terms. For a more detailed response hit up Hungry or M14Doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Satain View Post
    Yep...
    The whole secret to accuracy in semi auto firearms is repeatability. Hence why you weld this. But it is my lame man's terms. For a more detailed response hit up Hungry or M14Doctor.
    Yup.....repeatability and consistency. When you unitize the gas system you are making it "one" and eliminating any play....

The U.S. Army uses the "Glue and Screw" method of unitizing and the Marine Corp welds theirs. If welding (which is the most common) you want to tack weld at 10, 2, & 6 o'clock position on the gas cylinder.......

In a attempt to prepare for welding I tried to remove the castle nut, all I did was warp the pliers...

Canadian ForcesTransparency Enhancement Facilitator chalkriver's Avatar
    Did you remove the allen screw before attempting to remove the flash hider ?

-I thought that would be the hard part because the screw did not appear to match any Hex key I have.

ALSO!!!
    Never weld the gas system on the barrel. The heat transfer can or will cause the chrome line to flake off and thus dramticaly reduce the chance of having an accurate rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Satain View Post
    ALSO!!!
    Never weld the gas system on the barrel. The heat transfer can or will cause the chrome line to flake off and thus dramticaly reduce the chance of having an accurate rifle.
    In the stickies above-It seems they are describing welding the unit with the unit on the barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
    In the stickies above-It seems they are describing welding the unit with the unit on the barrel?
    It is best to remove the cylinder from the barrel to weld..........

Canadian M14 Clinic Kommando Hungry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobSmith View Post
    So if I understand the concept correctly the idea here is to weld the gas cylinder to the plate thingy that mates it to the stock ?
    Yup, it's called the front band and it's welded to the gas cylinder. Remember that unitizing is done so that the barrel and all the components hanging on it vibrate (can you say: harmonics?) as one piece. I've had good results without welding in the past, I just happened to have an opportunity to weld things up at the 100 Mile House Ingram Rifleworks clinic, then I got to yell out loud at the great welded when he was on my firing line! ha ha ha ha

Have lots of fun with the welding process!!

Cheers,
    Barney

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry View Post
    Yup, it's called the front band and it's welded to the gas cylinder. Remember that unitizing is done so that the barrel and all the components hanging on it vibrate (can you say: harmonics?) as one piece. I've had good results without welding in the past, I just happened to have an opportunity to weld things up at the 100 Mile House Ingram Rifleworks clinic, then I got to yell out loud at the great welded when he was on my firing line! ha ha ha ha

Have lots of fun with the welding process!!

Cheers,
    Barney
    Leaving my cabin right now to go to his house & can't wait for him to read this!
    LoL!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast