Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Well I got the piece welded by a friend at work, would have preferred to TIG it, but we used a MIG. The settings were a little hot and the weld penetrated a little too deep on the barrel band, causing a little bit of a bump on the inside. I don't blame my buddy, I could have done it myself with the same results,I could'nt see it well enough to do the job myself.
    I sanded out the bump and it seems pretty snug on the barrel so it may have deformed a bit (yeah it was pre and post heated).I think I will try it anyway and order the Brownells cylinder assembly. I could'nt find a #7 taper reamer for the flash hider, so I will experiment with that later.(the Norc seems to have larger dimensions than I expected).

generally speaking, Norinco parts don't fit US made or sourced gas cylinders. the ODD guy has had success but by and large they are not compatable. USGI and other american made products are manufactured on machines using the imperial system and chinese machinese are set up in metric.

as for unitizing, it makes the gas assembly a one piece unit, and as other's have said here, can have a very positive affect on overall barrel harmonics. Necessary, NO, desireable on an accurized rifle.... HELL YES

I trust one man to do my unitizing both for professional work and for my personal rifles. He does the welding, i do the prep, jigging and final detailing. Here at ICR , we jig the assembly on precisely machined brass heatsinks, ensuring correct alignment and fitment of the gas band plate and cylinder. We then use filler rod that matches the steel, ie: stainless for USGI and chromoly for others. We also use a TIG machine, masterfully run by Tony, backed by his 35 plus years of welding experience.
    Last edited by I.C.R.; 08-16-2012 at 11:12 AM.

ICR:So, how do I get my other gas assembly to you, to get this work done?

send me a private message
    we are joining this site's dealer program once our website has been completed and links will be provided. till then, private message me with your M14 related questions , I am not booking full rifle work, but we will accept trigger jobs and gas system unitizing work.
    cheers
    thomas

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123