Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Canadian Gun Lobby - where are you? (Crickets)

Ok, so with the current media blitz on guns, gun control, AR-15, Assualt\patrol carbine, etc., the public conversation is very lopsided. And the massive middle will follow what is drummed into them for long enough without a dissenting voice.

What or who is actually making an effort to communicate with the media? In this media blitz, some org should be rising to the top just from the reporter googling, but nothing. A large CBC discussion reference Rods' training company, but not the CCFR. Although a transcript posted here shows the reverse.

CSSA - Not their thing, they've done a lot on the legislative front which is their thing. Don't really expect them to light up the media world.

NFA - Epic apocalyptic meltdown of an org and lots of asshattery. Decided to try to out redneck even the worst rednecks in the States. Nobody has crushed their phone or the media can always rely on them for something sensational and over the top to help prove their articles slant is the "normal and accepted" view.

CALIBRE - They're basically a magazine. Talking to the media is in their skillset, but what media calls up another media source for comments? Not often.

CFFR - Apparently more just an information source for Youtube videos and peer to peer conversions. Kinda the "new" NFA but media shy. Just more hip thanks to using technology better than the NFA! But seems to be new boys club acting lots like old boys club. Social media, even looking on their website feeds are anemic at best. Yes, some great reasoned information and great reference point for educating from ignorance on up. So far, asshattery free.

Numerous other facebook firearm orgs ad niche orgs like wildlife groups who are not able to get traction in this whirlwind.

In such a feeding frenzy as this, why is no org stepping up and speaking? (NFA, please stay seated) Free publicity, membership growth and likely becoming the main contact for quotes by an ever growing media pool as they see good material coming from asking you a few questions.

This is a golden brand establishing tsunami event for you to get maximum exposure for minimal effort. And yet....

Canadian Gun Lobby\Orgs your underwhelming performance is so disappointing for everyone but Wendy and the gun control enthusiasts...

2. The Following User Liked This Post By SIR VEYOR

Bittereinder (06-23-2016)

Actually, I believe Tony Bernardo has been talking to the media. Saw one interview with him and heard about another.
    CSSA CCFR CPC

Banned
    Don't forget Quebec's FTQ... [sic]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR VEYOR View Post
    Canadian Gun Lobby\Orgs your underwhelming performance is so disappointing for everyone but Wendy and the gun control enthusiasts...
    I'm gonna repeat myself, but what do you want ? A march to Parliament hill, rifles on the shoulder and handguns holstered ?

This is Canada, for the next gun grab, we're probably hand them over, be sorry to own firearms to begin with, and thanks the LEO for their good job making Canada safer.

edit: ... and pride ourselves to be good first-class "law-abiding" citizens.

Banned
    Btw, this is a no-win situation. I've tried with the family. So far, I've been blocked by two of them because I'm considered mentally ill to own firearms. [and yes, they're yoga-pants lieberals]

And don't get me started about pissy journalist who claims have gotten PTSD after firing an AR... *These* are the people who are being listened to.

Quote Originally Posted by TJSpeller View Post
    Actually, I believe Tony Bernardo has been talking to the media. Saw one interview with him and heard about another.
    Yup, Tony was on CBC's As it Happens and spoke to Carol Off (spelling?) Shut her fear mongering down pretty good.
    Pew pew pew

"The gun lobby" knows better than to take on the media. There's no sense in bringing facts to a table where they are not wanted. Instead, the battle is fought where it matters - at the legislative level. While public perception is important, the fact remains people don't want to hear it. Normalizing firearm ownership in Canada won't happen in the newspapers or on the 6'oclock news. It'll happen at home first. Besides, there is still too much disagreement amongst gun owners themselves.

Keep in mind the CCFR hasn't even been around for a year yet. It take time to grow and make inroads.

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorF View Post
    Keep in mind the CCFR hasn't even been around for a year yet. It take time to grow and make inroads.
    Meh, CCFR is nothing but a bunch of slackers making podcasts rather than working for our rights....
    Pew pew pew

Well, the problem is that we don't currently actually have a 'gun lobby' group per se.

The cssa is not really a lobby group. They don't actually do much at all on the legislative front - they kind of SAY they do and whenever anything goes right they CLAIM to have been a 'big part', but really they're extremely small potatoes and they're not really set up to be 'that group'. They mostly work with ranges and clubs, and they do very very important work there and they're a good org to have. But - they are not interested in leading the "fight" for gun rights at all. They chip in, they do do media events and tony has been on tv and media many many times and has been good at it (to be honest, for a while that really kind of was their 'thing'). But it is NOT their focus, it's not how they make money, and they really aren't that interested in anyone other than their members. They're a great org - they're just not the 'voice of gun owners' org you're looking for.

The NFA is toxic death. They're not worth talking about any more.

Calibre - as was said it's a magazine for heaven's sake, not an advocacy group. We can be thankful for the efforts they DO put in and i would say those efforts represent going far above and beyond the call of duty for a mag, but they're clearly not in any way any kind of 'professional rights advocates' or the like.

CFFR - they're not trying to be an advocacy group either. Their goal is long term incremental public education and information and this cannot be stressed enough - THAT IS HUGELY MASSIVELY IMPORTANT. That is EVERY bit as important as advocacy work. But - it's basically the exact opposite of advocacy work and their job is very different than what we'd expect from a firearms advocacy group. I notice rod was in the papers and being interviewed and did well, but i don't think that'll be their focus for a while. In the meantime - they will take a few years to find their real footing and have an effect, unless they decide to pay someone full time for their efforts to work on it every day.

So where does that leave us?

When you look at the NRA in the states, you see the kind of effective "firearms advocacy group" that you're talking about and that we really desperately need. A group that brings gun owners together and reaches out and works with non members as much as members. THey focus on political pressure, legislative stuff, and organizing the 'fight' for the entire community as their PRIMARY reason for existence. It's their number one job. They've got the respect of gun owners, even those who think that sometimes they're a little on the radical side. And when they call for action, gun owners respond in large numbers whether they are members or not.

We don't really have that in any form in Canada. No org is interested in reaching out seriously beyond it's membership, and not one is focused on NOR structured to be 'that' org.

And the sad truth is we may not ever have one - our firearms community tends to be very fractured, anyone who tries to get anything going generally faces mountains of criticism from the community no matter what they do, and there is a large segment of our active community who demands nothing less than absolutely huge results tomorrow - otherwise screw everybody. How many times have we seen it? "I WANT THIS LAW PASSED TOMORROW". Ok, well that's not really possible, you see there's a process as to how laws are passed in Canada and "I DON"T CARE - THEY COULD DO IT IF THEY WANTED". Well.. no, they couldn't. See, this is how.. "WELL THEN SCREW THEM AND THEIR PIXIE DUST - LETS ABANDON THEM AND LET THE LIBERALS IN TO TEACH THEM A LESSON". Oh god that's a bad idea - if we were to "NOOO COMPROMISE!!!!!"

It was this sort of thing that really destroyed the NFA - strong headed stubborn idiots who wouldn't give an inch - and i'm not just talking about the no compromise group but also the leadership at the time they were fighting with. Neither side was interested in the best interests of gun owners, neither group was laying out a real plan, and both sides were acting in deplorable ways to 'one up' the other and the whole org fell apart.

I'm not sure how we beat that. Right now we seem to have 3 types of gun owners - 1) the type who demand everything now and aren't interested in the slightest in forming a reasonable and achievable plan and who simply slag the hell out of anything and lie constantly because they're all about posturing. We've even got a few 'agent provocateurs' in that group. 2) the type who want nothing to do with the crazy gun rights people and sit on the sidelines basically hoping things go well, and do a little bit here and there maybe but are just turned off by the whole thing OR feel that nothing will ever achieve results, and 3) those who want to do the work and want to form a reasonable plan that can be achieved. But they are in the minority and generally anything they do is undermined by the first group.

Fact is that the NRA works on long term planning and achievable goals, and has had so much success doing so that now they are a major political powerhouse and can throw their weight around quite a bit. If we did the same, with a real advocacy org behind us driving and focusing the efforts, we would achieve similar results. But i'm not sure how to get there from here.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast