Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 67
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    83

    Maxime Bernier for Conservative Leadership

    Maxime Bernier is going to be the only pro firearms leadership candidate

    https://donate.conservative.ca/donat...rnier?mpi=nvbr

    Should send him some $68 donations to send a message

  2. #2
    Senior Member Foxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    17,799
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo88 View Post
    Maxime Bernier is going to be the only pro firearms leadership candidate

    https://donate.conservative.ca/donat...rnier?mpi=nvbr

    Should send him some $68 donations to send a message
    First off - given that we haven't even seen the other candidates who may come forward, what makes you think he'll be the only pro gun one?

    And second off - nobody is going to get the '68' thing. That was 25 years ago.

  3. The Following User Liked This Post By Foxer

    glockfan (01-01-2017)

  4. #3
    Senior Member Doug_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    11,619
    Yup, too soon to decide. And a cheque with something like "licensed firearms owner" in the memo may be a bigger message than an amount of $68.
    Pew pew pew

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,696
    Brad Trost, or the CPC can eff off.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    A few miles east of a burgeoning mess.
    Posts
    725
    it might well not be a male...

    Raitt ???
    "Chances are your relatives would not have picked you either"

    ...from the Graz family crest.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,335
    He is the best of the three that have announced so far. However,
    1) I have not seen his firearms policies (though I know for sure he supported the recent policy change at the Vancouver convention)
    2) We don't know his immigration/refugee policies (those are important too)
    3) The world is experiencing an anti-globalist mood swing. Some of what he proposes (end of supply management) would be seen as a globalist policy. That's hard to sell at the best of times, and even harder now .


    Agree with Foxer that the $68 thing is over. Send him a donation with a letter stating your firearms concerns. That's much more useful.

    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemoose View Post
    Brad Trost, or the CPC can eff off.
    Sorry, never gonna happen. Trost is a good man, a principled man, but the world has moved on. Abortion is legal, euthanasia will be legal, pot is legal. For better or worse, Canada is not going back. We have to live in the real world.
    CSSA CCFR CPC

  8. #7
    Senior Member Foxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    17,799
    Quote Originally Posted by TJSpeller View Post
    He is the best of the three that have announced so far. However,
    1) I have not seen his firearms policies (though I know for sure he supported the recent policy change at the Vancouver convention)
    2) We don't know his immigration/refugee policies (those are important too)
    3) The world is experiencing an anti-globalist mood swing. Some of what he proposes (end of supply management) would be seen as a globalist policy. That's hard to sell at the best of times, and even harder now .


    Agree with Foxer that the $68 thing is over. Send him a donation with a letter stating your firearms concerns. That's much more useful.


    Sorry, never gonna happen. Trost is a good man, a principled man, but the world has moved on. Abortion is legal, euthanasia will be legal, pot is legal. For better or worse, Canada is not going back. We have to live in the real world.
    Yeah - I doubt we're going to know much about any of their policies until the slate is full and the contest really begins. Pretty much anything they say before that is more of an indication. And a lot of what we SHOULD be asking the candidates is not so much "what are YOUR ideas" but rather what's your vision for executing the general policies the party has laid out. It's good to know they've got some ideas of their own but it's even more important to know how they're going to execute on the things we've already put on the table. For me - I'd like to see a solid well laid out economic plan. Harper kind of dropped the ball on that in the end - i'm sure he had one in his head but he did a horrible time of painting a vision of how he would get the economy back on track. you don't need to be super specific, but you've got to paint a picture. Etc etc.

    We'll also have to see who really 'sells' well. There's no point to a leader who can't really campain well and won't stand up to justin's charm and such. Hudak may have been a fine premier, but we'll never know because he was a HORRIBLE campaigner, and he got two chances to show that.

    We'll see. I think Bernier is a contender, and a plausible choice. Hopefully we'll see a few more good options put on the table and we'll be able to pick one who's got a really good shot at winning AND who will be a good leader.

  9. #8
    Senior Member RangeBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    44,019
    Quote Originally Posted by TJSpeller View Post
    Agree with Foxer that the $68 thing is over.
    We did a $68 thing a couple years back, and I remember a few posters saying they talked with the conservative detonations people -- essentially if enough people do the $68 (more than 5% of donations that month) and they're reminded by several that $68 or 0.68 means something, then they know.

    Otherwise, they don't.

    So it's not entirely dead -- but there's little point unless there's a mass resurgence and coordinated effort.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Foxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    17,799
    Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    We did a $68 thing a couple years back, and I remember a few posters saying they talked with the conservative detonations people -- essentially if enough people do the $68 (more than 5% of donations that month) and they're reminded by several that $68 or 0.68 means something, then they know.

    Otherwise, they don't.

    So it's not entirely dead -- but there's little point unless there's a mass resurgence and coordinated effort.
    Even then - it's almost useless with the fed donations people. But - bernier's people won't even have a clue. We could revive it, but really what's the point.

    Better just to write a note saying you're a gun owner and looking forward to his support.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Petamocto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Rusagonis/Waasis, NB
    Posts
    6,673
    Has Peter MacKay ever done anything anti-gun? I know he's pro-victim rights from his earlier days as a prosecutor, but I've never heard him say anything asking for more gun control.

    If anyone has links I'd appreciate them.
    I have no signature block.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-12-2018, 09:33 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-16-2017, 02:52 PM
  3. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 04-27-2017, 06:14 PM
  4. Maxime Bernier, Kevin O'Leary lead Conservative leadership field
    By Doug_M in forum Non Firearms Politics
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-16-2017, 05:49 AM
  5. Maxime Bernier launches Conservative leadership campaign
    By Foxer in forum Non Firearms Politics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-16-2016, 08:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •