Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    EM Precision Rifles stevesummit's Avatar
    You just missed a great shoot at tigrr's place lots of targets from 200 all the way to 1760yds lots of great shooters that would have helped you out Watch for the next one and get your name on the list

Where does he live???

EM Precision Rifles stevesummit's Avatar
    Well if your in Calgary it would have been a hike but he is up near peace river.

Long range means different thing to different people. To me it means out to a mile or more.
    308 is a good caliber. The brake is not allowed in most competitions FTR & F Open. The scope will be the limiting factor in your present set up. I use this for my Trajectory calculation. http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin...j_simp-5.1.cgi
    It lets you select the bullet and enter the rest of the info, choose the distance, hit calculate and print off a copy of the results. You need to know the muzzle velocity to use jbm ballistics.
    Enjoy your 308 and learn to shoot it. Buy good brass and read up on all the sorting and weighing/volume tricks. Some even weigh and sort bullets(not me). I buy brass by the thousand and weigh them into lots. tired good night
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Long range means different thing to different people. To me it means out to a mile or more.
    308 is a good caliber. The brake is not allowed in most competitions FTR & F Open. The scope will be the limiting factor in your present set up. I use this for my Trajectory calculation. http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin...j_simp-5.1.cgi
    It lets you select the bullet and enter the rest of the info, choose the distance, hit calculate and print off a copy of the results. You need to know the muzzle velocity to use jbm ballistics.
    Enjoy your 308 and learn to shoot it. Buy good brass and read up on all the sorting and weighing/volume tricks. Some even weigh and sort bullets(not me). I buy brass by the thousand and weigh them into lots. tired good night
    Long range for me today unfortunately means anything over 50 yards as that is the greatest distance I can find in town!!! My goal is to be upwards of a mile and further if possible. What I need is for someone to sit beside me and walk me through using the mildot, calculating distances, windage and sending it down range. As for my scope, I intended it to get me through trying everything out to see if I really wanted to get into the sport as I don't hunt so have no need outside of precision shooting. I know it's not the best but I figured it would work for now
    Last edited by Grizz; 09-29-2012 at 01:09 AM.

Canadian ForcesTransparency Enhancement Facilitator chalkriver's Avatar
    Hungry is coming up to CFB Petawawa to have a 2 day clinic on this subject next month.
    This is the first of hopefully many classes he holds on this , I know he is heading out west again this summer so send him a pm and see what his plans are.

A few questions:
    1. Have you found a bullet/powder combo to get you in the .2 inch 3 shot group at a 100?
    2. Do you reload?
    3. Describe shooting set-up, rest, bags, bipod.
    4. Prone or bench?

After finding the best bullet powder recipe I cronograph my rounds to find what speed they are going. Then I punch that info into a ballistic program and get my elevation settings. So before I go to shoot longer ranges I know my come-ups to reach the target at 100 - 200 - 300. I don't calculate it at the range. My come-ups are printed out on a paper to match each different bullet weight and caliber.
    I can't find that scope?? 6-12X24
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Well me and a couple of my budz are taking this bad boy out for a 3KM streach of the legs...

Is 1 mile far enough?
    Will post vid when we get back from our hunting trip after the 15th.

Wow. That looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by 50calshooter View Post
    This guy made a complete video library of his "Road to Precision" they are pretty good instructional videos and go pretty far in depth of whats involved...

Here's Part 1,

Very nice job on the videos and a good watch. I think I will try the same as you with a f-class shoot. Got to work up a load first.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast