Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Sorry about the description...I was on the tail end of a 48 hour shift and was a little tired, I feel really bad you looked for an hour!! You said you learned a lot about Tasco scopes...out of curiosity what is your general opinion on my (Tasco) scope now?
    Ah that explains it, no worries. It might get you out to 1000 yards. There are 145 reviews of that scope on opticsplanet. Some good, some not so.
    As for shooting factory, I have been using them simply because I did not have the time to get out and shoot since my son was born nor did I have the time to reload. It was far faster to just buy a box and get to the range to maximize my time. Also, I figured that with the distance of the indoor range, what was the point. That being said, he will be 3 in January so I am now getting to the point I can dedicate more time and come to some outdoor events.

As far as practicing, I know I just need to get out of the indoor range and play at longer distances as that distance is REALLY no longer remotely challenging. Unfortunately, as far as I know, the closest range with any type of distance (100 yards) would be at least a 45 min drive so I will have to look around for a closer alternative.

As for the scope, what reticle what would you recommend to make things easier? I just always assumed that mildot was a great reticle for long distance but again I don't have the experience. Also, what do you think about the new BORS system? I assume you are not able to use it in competition either?
    BORS is probably not allowed in most competitions. The equipment is weighed and must fit in a catagory. The muzzle brake isn't allowed in most competitions either. I'm partial to the NightForce NP-R1 or Np-R2 reticle. NightForce scopes are my go to scope for competing as well. Buy once it hurts once, buy twice it hurts twice!! Put a 20moa rail under it right away as well. You will have to get in on one of the intro days at Homestead range. They usually start with one in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone 5
    This site was acting funny today. It kept losing the location I was typing. Check this mildot info out. http://www.mil-dot.com/Content%20Images/mildots.jpg
    Last edited by tigrr; 10-01-2012 at 10:00 AM.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely look into the Nightforce scopes.

As for an intro day at the homestead range, is there anything I can do over the winter that will help in the spring. Is there some type of app or game that will help you learn the mechanics of long distance shooting so all you will have to do is put your knowledge into practice later???
    Last edited by Grizz; 10-10-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    I would like to learn how to actually use my Mildot scope, ranging, windage etc.

I watched the road to precision videos and did learn alot but as I said I really want to learn how to use my scope and at least be remotely close to my target once I go get out to the range.
    Ryan Cleckner can help.

Like Steve said, a TMR syle reticle will do you well. Take a look at Leupold, nightforce, Vortex ( I like these.), or any other style scope. And don't discount the cheaper brands, although they are a little more eye relief sensitive, the Falcons are a good choice for a scope as well, I've got a few of them and they've never let me down. They might not be Premier, or U.S. optic, but they do work . what I'm saying, is there are some low buck options that will get you out there, if you don't want to spend a couple of grand on a scope right now. If you've got the scratch, then the sky's the limit. But once again, a TMR reticle and I'd go metric mil / mil everything is ten....Now you can start on the first focal plane, or second.
    Last edited by killer kane; 10-10-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks for the video's.....I can't wait to go through them. Judging by the screen shots this is the stuff I am definitely looking for!!

Has anyone heard of or have the shooter ready game????
    Last edited by Grizz; 10-10-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    Ryan Cleckner can help.

Sticky these vid's
    Great find and thanks for the vid's

Those are some awesome videos. Very informative!!!!

K this thread made me have the confidance to shoot past the 1km mark this weekend and actually hit what I was aiming at was out-standing!
    Me begging my friend to try his toy;

Me having that "DID YOU SEE THAT!" moment;

Out standing and again thanx for this thread everyone!
    By the way we had targets at the 730 meter, 1,200 meter and also the 1,400 meter mark.

EM Precision Rifles stevesummit's Avatar
    It fun once you break the 1k mark !! The first time I made 1500 with my 308 it was ear to ear grin for two days after

Quote Originally Posted by stevesummit View Post
    It fun once you break the 1k mark !! The first time I made 1500 with my 308 it was ear to ear grin for two days after
    I hung up the remains of the jacket from my 223 bullet that touched the Mile at Tigrr's shoot in my office. A really good conversation piece.
    I <3 10mm auto

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast