Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Help with getting into long distance shooting

I want to get into long distance shooting but am not quite sure how to go about calculating everything involved. Does anyone have any good resource that dumbs everything down for someone who is not quite a mathematician????
    Last edited by Grizz; 08-02-2012 at 11:13 PM.

EM Precision Rifles stevesummit's Avatar
    Biggameinfo.com Has drop sheets that you can print off. All you need to know is the ballistic coefficient of you bullet and the velocity . Plug it in and it will tell you how many clicks you need for your up value. It's not spot on but close enough to get you in the ball park
    Last edited by stevesummit; 08-03-2012 at 05:33 AM.

Senior Member OutdoorPursuitsCanada's Avatar
    If you use an iPhone or iPad download iSnipe - awesome complete ballistics calculator.

Red Deer Shooting Centre
    This guy made a complete video library of his "Road to Precision" they are pretty good instructional videos and go pretty far in depth of whats involved...

Here's Part 1,

Red Deer Shooting Centre
    403-347-2232
    www.rdsc.ca
    info@rdsc.ca
    SHOP ONLINE!

What is your definition of long range?

Shooting at distance is just like sighting in the rifle. Put some lead down range and adjust as needed.

Depending on the round, if you zeroed at 100yrds, you'll hit an inch low at 200, and 7 inches low at 300. Those are arbitrary numbers based on my last visit to the range.

If you are talking about shooting out past half a click, then look up you local rifle club.

Quote Originally Posted by cmiller82 View Post
    What is your definition of long range?
    Something longer than the indoor range I am currently shooting at there in town. Ultimately, I want to get into shooting ranges from 200-900 yards however, prior to that, I would like to learn how to actually use my Mildot scope, ranging, windage etc.

I watched the road to precision videos and did learn alot but as I said I really want to learn how to use my scope and at least be remotely close to my target once I go get out to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorPursuitsCanada View Post
    If you use an iPhone or iPad download iSnipe - awesome complete ballistics calculator.
    Currently I have the Galaxy SII but I am thinking about drinking the cool-aid again and going back to the iPhone despite it's issues.

Canada is a big place. What part are you in?
    What rifle?
    What scope? Mildot hollow or solid black dot?
    What caliber?
    1 mile mentor
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Android has a few very good programs for ballistics, Bulletflight is what I use.

Where are you located? I would bet there is someone on here close to you that can show you a few things.
    I <3 10mm auto

Sorry for the incredibly late reply!!! I have been out of the country and did not have access to the internet. To answer your questions......

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    What part are you in?
    I am from Calgary Alberta

What rifle?
    I am going to either use my Savage 112 FVSS heavy barrel or my Savage 10BA chambered in 308 as well. That being said, the 10 BA has a muzzel brake so I am not sure if I can use that if I ever decide to compete.

What scope?
    TO start with I was planning on using my Tasco 6-12 X 24 varmint scope with a mildot reticle. I know it's cheap but I wanted to focus on getting a better rifle than scope at the beginning. Obviously, I will upgrade at some point.....possibly to a Nightforce.

What caliber?
    Not sure what you mean by the 1 mile mentor however, I would be shooting 308 for now. I am considering going to 338 Lapua in the future but am a little gun shy about the possible cost and availibility of components.

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckWR View Post
    Android has a few very good programs for ballistics, Bulletflight is what I use.

I would bet there is someone on here close to you that can show you a few things.
    I will check out Bulletflight....thanks. I would LOVE IT if someone was able to "show me a few things" or help me understand exactly how everything works!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast