Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    EM Precision Rifles stevesummit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckWR View Post
    I hung up the remains of the jacket from my 223 bullet that touched the Mile at Tigrr's shoot in my office. A really good conversation piece.
    As well you should. It's a badge of honor kinda thing when your skill comes together with a rifle and you touch steel at unreal distance . The jackets from my hits at a mile sit on my loading table on display also lol!

Grizz have you tried checking your scopes adjustment accuracy? from a rest take a shot at bullseye or a marked point move your crosshair a number of clicks up (say 10 clicks) take another shot at your original point of aim. Move your crosshair left the same number of clicks (10) as before and take a shot at your original point of aim. Move your crosshair down an equal number of clicks (10) and take a shot at your original point of aim. and finally move your crosshair back to the right 10 clicks . What you should end up with are four equally spaced shots in four corners of a square.the shots should be perfect 90 degree angles to one another. This will show you if your scope is mounted ok and good enough for repeatable adjustments. this lays out mildots pretty plainly.http://shootistarmscompany.com/image...0explained.pdf

To use a mil-dot reticle effectively, all one need remember is that the distance between the dot centers
    is 36" at 1000 yards. This lets you determine the range of a target of known size. At that point, you can
    dial the scope in for proper elevation OR use the dots to hold over the proper amount. The dots on
    the horizontal crosshair can be used to lead a target (if you know the range to the target, then you'll
    know the distance between dots, and thus the distance to lead) or to compensate for deflection.
    I have personally found that the use of the Mil-dot Master was the best analog computer for making
    these calculations. Check this out @ http://www.mildot.com/testdrive.htm

Good video on scope tracking -

I do a variation of that as a drill. 3 shot group per adjustment to work on consistency.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345