Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Banned
    Oooohhh boy, here we go...

Question. Suppose a persons elderly relative was being taken to an old folks home after a medical epside, and while the belongings are being gone through, a restricted was found in the belongings. This item was then taken to a local RCMP officer 'for holding' as the family member that found it, did not have any firearms paperwork at all. From that point, what might it take for a family member with the appropriate paperwork to gain possession of and register the restricted?

Hmm, what to do with your families heirloom firearms,... never registered,... war trophies,... or were registered and not re-registered.....

STFU about 'em, keep 'em, you lucky SOB's.

Years ago after the 2nd ww, the townsfolk and people went through the country sides and farm lands picking up the items scattered about in fields and forests and such, you know to keep for the next one,... about half a decade ago, maybe more i'll have to find the article again, a german farmer died whom lived on his own, when the family went through his estate, they opened a barn and found a tiger tank complete and maintained loaded full of rounds, multiple crates of panzerfaust, crates of ammo and @ half a dozen mg40's or 42's, mp38's or 40's, lugers, rifles,...the family "thought" they were doing the right thing and reported it to the police, they nicely came and took everything, no compensation.

The tank was later sold to a private collector for a fortune.

lesson here people is... don't be dumbasses.
    Last edited by ReignCzech; 04-09-2013 at 03:15 PM.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By ReignCzech

LucienSternfeuer (01-27-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by ReignCzech View Post
    Hmm, what to do with your families heirloom firearms,... never registered,... war trophies,... or were registered and not re-registered.....

STFU about 'em, keep 'em, you lucky SOB's.
    Which might be all fine and dandy until someone finds out about your unregistered handguns and you are caught, lose all your guns, and face jail time for it. I don't agree with the laws, but it is still a law and what you are suggesting is against the law.

I created this thread for those that want to be legal with the law but were afraid that you couldn't register a restricted handgun if it wasn't restricted before. It's not for telling people to just shut up and break the law (which suggesting so is against forum rules anyways).

My personal policy is always "don't break the law"

But if you do break the law my policy is "don't tell me about it.!
    . . . Unless we're out for beers and far away from the internet. In that case I want to hear all the scandalous details."

6. The Following User Liked This Post By TV-PressPass

LucienSternfeuer (01-27-2016)

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonLeftie View Post
    Oooohhh boy, here we go...

Question. Suppose a persons elderly relative was being taken to an old folks home after a medical epside, and while the belongings are being gone through, a restricted was found in the belongings. This item was then taken to a local RCMP officer 'for holding' as the family member that found it, did not have any firearms paperwork at all. From that point, what might it take for a family member with the appropriate paperwork to gain possession of and register the restricted?
    This might help...the names have been changed...
    When x Son's great Grandfather (RCAF) went into the old timers home, RCAF's daughter found 6 handguns in the footlocker at the end of his bed. She unknowingly drove around for 2 days with them in a shopping bag in the trunk of her car.
    When she asked x what to do, x called a fella x used to work for that owned a gun shop. He came and picked up the handguns and took them to his store for "safe" (pun ) keeping until things got sorted out...all legal like and still safe from the government vanishing act.

oh, the heirloom service revolver (S&W .380) went to a nephew in Calgary and the others were sold, as there were 3 12(6)(2 bring backs and a .22 from Vegas) in the group that no one in the family had paperwork for and nobody but x wanted the 1911...but x couldn't afford the wild price it was sold for...he did however get the ammo...
    Last edited by BrotherRockeye; 04-08-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    Which might be all fine and dandy until someone finds out about your unregistered handguns and you are caught, lose all your guns, and face jail time for it. I don't agree with the laws, but it is still a law and what you are suggesting is against the law.

I created this thread for those that want to be legal with the law but were afraid that you couldn't register a restricted handgun if it wasn't restricted before. It's not for telling people to just shut up and break the law (which suggesting so is against forum rules anyways).
    Hey, I mean no offence to anyone by what I posted, however there's so many scenarios that everybody can write, what if's and maybe this or that.
    This law and that one, obey these twisted broken laws, because you being a person striven to be law abiding will be rewarded with charges and legal action against you, if just one dot or X isn't performed to the letter of the law, in course of action that passes.

I will say that if the firearm could be properly registered without problems or loss to that person then sure go right ahead if that is what is the best course of action, in all manner.

On the other hand the reality of some families in our country whom have heirlooms that most probably cannot due to our laws, then the option I merely wrote of, one of the likely-hood that everybody knows already, and is there as well.
    was I so bold to write the obvious? yup, so what.
    Was it leading and suggestive? If that is the path of interpretation that individual took, then perhaps, maybe.

for example,... people will never get back a war trophy luger or mp38/40, sten, M3, etc, etc, that grandpa or relative brought back with them, after all they went through, if they want to turn it in.

So I wrote the previous post response so that if people are reading, and may perhaps fall into the topic category, that they not speak of or write about what "it" may be, because in similarity and as metaphorically as the scale, that balance of measure, of this way and that way, logic and reason, legal and perhaps not so much, it too can be applied to each and everyone of us pertaining to this matter, and is after all, their choice. That may be the only "freedom" we have about it.
    Last edited by ReignCzech; 04-09-2013 at 02:18 AM.

I agree Drache! But one thing I would suggest in this case, as well as Yukon's post, is DO NOT use the police for legal advice!!! Nothing against LEO's but they are not trained nor "experts" in giving legal advice, nor is it their job. Spend a little time and/or money getting good advice from relivant experts!

*** I type too slow! Rockeye hit it on the head while I was typing
    Last edited by shooter 67; 04-08-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: I type too slow

Quote Originally Posted by shooter 67 View Post
    I agree Drache! But one thing I would suggest in this case, as well as Yukon's post, is DO NOT use the police for legal advice!!! Nothing against LEO's but they are not trained nor "experts" in giving legal advice, nor is it their job. Spend a little time and/or money getting good advice from relivant experts!
    My advice was from both the CFP, RCMP, and CFO that you can register a restricted firearm without hassle, ALTHOUGH trying to register a 2010 Glock 21 might have some questions attached compared to finding great grandpas revolver.

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    just to add to Drache's point that you can register a restricted firearm without hassle...

If you have no restricted license:
    -it would be wise not to be "in possession" of said restricted while sorting it out.
    -handing it over to Law Enforcement in the interim is foolhardy to say the least
    -a gun shop is a viable alternative for "safe storage" until you get the proper paper work in order.
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    My advice was from both the CFP, RCMP, and CFO that you can register a restricted firearm without hassle, ALTHOUGH trying to register a 2010 Glock 21 might have some questions attached compared to finding great grandpas revolver.
    Ya I know this is an old thread, maybe someone will read it & answer my question. I enjoy learning as much as I can about our firearms laws. ?? Am I missing something ?? Did they change sec 91 of the criminal code ? I've read the entire thread, and I'm stunned by how many people have beed duped by our fine public servants. I just copied this off our gov site posting from the Criminal Code of Canada. Clearly under: Exceptions sub-sec 4 b ii :, it states that you can get a registration certificate for a prohibited firearm. So if you find grandpa's dust collector, cause it was hidden somewhere, you can register it & get the classification of possession for it. Has sec91 sub-sec 4 b ii changed ? If the answer is no, then I hope this helps someone. If the answer is yes, then I stand corrected and I take back my comment about people being duped by the public servants. In a way, I want someone to
    Prove me to be unaware of changes that were made. I would like to have more confidence in the way the leo's,rcmp & cfo's conduct And govern themselves. That being said, I still find it inconcievable that people will believe the words coming out of their mouths as the actual law, rather than check the criminal code before even talking to them. Know where you stand, otherwise they will baffle you with their bul:-(!

Marginal note:Unauthorized possession of firearm

91. (1) Subject to subsection (4), every person commits an offence who possesses a firearm without being the holder of
    (a) a licence under which the person may possess it; and
    (b) in the case of a prohibited firearm or a restricted firearm, a registration certificate for it.
    Marginal note:Unauthorized possession of prohibited weapon or restricted weapon

(2) Subject to subsection (4), every person commits an offence who possesses a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device, other than a replica firearm, or any prohibited ammunition, without being the holder of a licence under which the person may possess it.
    Marginal note:Punishment

(3) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1) or (2)
    (a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or
    (b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.
    Marginal note:Exceptions

(4) Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply to
    (a) a person who possesses a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any prohibited ammunition while the person is under the direct and immediate supervision of a person who may lawfully possess it, for the purpose of using it in a manner in which the supervising person may lawfully use it; or
    (b) a person who comes into possession of a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any prohibited ammunition by the operation of law and who, within a reasonable period after acquiring possession of it,
    (i) lawfully disposes of it, or
    (ii) obtains a licence under which the person may possess it and, in the case of a prohibited firearm or a restricted firearm, a registration certificate for it.
    (5) [Repealed, 2012, c. 6, s. 2]
    R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 91; 1991, c. 28, s. 7, c. 40, ss. 5, 36; 1995, c. 22, s. 10, c. 39, s. 139; 2008, c. 6, s. 4; 2012, c. 6, s. 2.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast