Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Member Drache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Williams Lake, BC
    Posts
    8,131

    Unregistered Restricted, what to do if you find grandpa's pistol!

    The short answer is that it IS possible to register a restricted firearm if it's never been registered before.

    First off you need to make sure that it's a "restricted" firearm and NOT a prohibited one. You CANNOT register a prohibited firearm, EVER!

    THIS IS STRAIGHT FROM THE CFC/CFP!

    Currently there is no official amnesty in place for unregistered
    restricted firearms. Individuals wanting to dispose of the firearm
    should contact their local police (RCMP). If an individual is in
    possession of an unregistered restricted firearm and they wish to keep
    it, they must meet the following requirements:

    They must have a valid PAL with acquisition privileges to the
    restricted level.

    They must apply to register the firearm online or through a paper
    application form CAFC 998. You can obtain the form or do the online
    application at www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf. You will need to indicate
    "Other" for the type of acquisition and provide details- from whom you
    acquired the firearm and when. Please indicate Amnesty on the top of
    the form or in spot for type of acquisition if doing an online
    application.

    These applications are forwarded to the registry for approval, and they
    will be the ones to investigate and decide on the application.

    Note: this applies to unregistered restricted firearms only and not
    unregistered prohibited firearms.

    Please view the following website for information on restricted and
    prohibited handguns:

    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/rp-eng.htm

    Before the firearm can be registered, it will need to be verified by an
    approved verifier.

    Verification can be done over the telephone by contacting our office at
    1 800 731-4000. You would need to have the firearm with you so that the
    make, model, type, action, serial number, barrel length, manufacturer
    can be confirmed in a Firearms Reference Table. You will be provided
    with a Firearms Reference Table number (FRT), verifier number and
    verifier first and last name. Once you have this information, you can
    proceed with the registration application.

  2. #2
    Official GOC Pilot Qhergt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    43
    good info there

  3. #3
    Junior Member Redd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    15
    Thanks Drache, we were discussing this not long ago

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    39
    So what happens if a gun is deemed "prohibited"? Everyone has to turn them in? Do you get compensated? What do they do with the guns?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Drache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Williams Lake, BC
    Posts
    8,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
    So what happens if a gun is deemed "prohibited"? Everyone has to turn them in? Do you get compensated? What do they do with the guns?
    You can either turn it in for destruction with no compensation, get the gun made unfireable by welding it in places so it will never shoot again, or sell it to someone with a prohibited license.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    You can either turn it in for destruction with no compensation, get the gun made unfireable by welding it in places so it will never shoot again, or sell it to someone with a prohibited license.
    Uhhh, I don`t think so, Tim.

    I called the CFC a year ago and told them that I had a friend with a prohib which had never been re-registered as such when the new laws came in effect in the 90`s. He wanted to sell it to me. Short answer is, "no way". I told them that if a legal transfer wasn't possible, my friend intended to go ahead and do what he wanted to do in the first place: sell it on the black market". The tech's answer was, Sorry, can't help you. Do what you have to do".

    FYI, the prohib in question was a built-as-a-semi Tommy gun. Furthermore, I have 12.3, 12.5 & 12.6. Didn't do me any good here.....

  7. #7
    Senior Member Drache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Williams Lake, BC
    Posts
    8,131
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2772000 View Post
    Uhhh, I don`t think so, Tim.

    I called the CFC a year ago and told them that I had a friend with a prohib which had never been re-registered as such when the new laws came in effect in the 90`s. He wanted to sell it to me. Short answer is, "no way". I told them that if a legal transfer wasn't possible, my friend intended to go ahead and do what he wanted to do in the first place: sell it on the black market". The tech's answer was, Sorry, can't help you. Do what you have to do".

    FYI, the prohib in question was a built-as-a-semi Tommy gun. Furthermore, I have 12.3, 12.5 & 12.6. Didn't do me any good here.....
    There have been a couple people who have found prohib lugers that were never registered and had them registered to someone with a 12.6, at least according to a few posts over on CGN.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    There have been a couple people who have found prohib lugers that were never registered and had them registered to someone with a 12.6, at least according to a few posts over on CGN.
    If it's true, then I'm pissed. The RCMP tech there was no way'n hell to register the Tommy (12.5).
    I'm guessing, however, that if you were to replace the barrel on a 12.6 for example, you could then turn around and register it as a restricted.

  9. #9
    Senior Member CLW .45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    You can either turn it in for destruction with no compensation, get the gun made unfireable by welding it in places so it will never shoot again, or sell it to someone with a prohibited license.
    Thought they said no registration of prohib.

    Are you now saying that a person with an unregistered 12.6 handgun could sell it to someone who has 12.6 on his licence???
    To show that men can travel to the moon and return, use the American experience.

    To show that public safety isnít hurt by responsible individuals carrying to protect life, use the American experience.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Gaidheal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,637
    Quote Originally Posted by CLW .45 View Post
    Thought they said no registration of prohib.

    Are you now saying that a person with an unregistered 12.6 handgun could sell it to someone who has 12.6 on his licence???
    Estates give that power I believe. The executor of the will is granted some exclusion from the law.

    Museums might also be an option.

    Makes me think there should be a 12.x guardian group willing to take "ownership" of 12.x until we can get things back to "normal" and get Dads' and Grandpas' guns back to the younger family members.

    I don't have (12.2) full-auto or (12.3?) Stey-Aug/Uzi but I have the rest & would be willing to hold stuff for folks with this in mind.

    I'm not good at setting stuff up but I am willing to be an active participant in such a scheme. Guardians of the Guns.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Grandpa needed a Mistress.....
    By 2012Cvoguy in forum Hunting & Sporting Rifles
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-22-2018, 08:25 AM
  2. List of Non-Restricted Black Rifles, Pistol Calibre Carbines and FAQ
    By Ar180shooter in forum Modern Military Rifles
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-15-2017, 10:33 PM
  3. Group Order - Vintage and Hard-to-Find Pistol and Rifle Magazines
    By Northern Republic Mag in forum GOC Business Members
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2017, 06:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •