Notley’s approval rating slides

41 per cent strongly disapprove of premier's leadership

By: Brodie Thomas Metro Published on Fri Aug 05 2016

Premier Rachel Notley’s approval rating has sunk to new lows, according to a Think HQ /Metro exclusive poll.

Her overall approval rating is sitting at 37 per cent.

That number is made up of those who strongly and somewhat approve of her performance. Poll participants were also given the choice of somewhat or strongly disapprove.

“What’s interesting about the intensity is that you’ve got more people who strongly disapprove than actually approve of her overall,” said Marc Henry, president of ThinkHQ.

Those who strongly disapprove of the premier sat at 41 per cent, while overall disapproval rating was 54 per cent.

Henry saw Notley’s approval rating jump in May, and he suspected that was due to her government’s handling of the Fort McMurray Wildfires.

But those gains are now gone.

The Think HQ poll asked how poll participants had voted in the past election. It found that nearly one quarter of NDP voters polled now disapprove of the Notley’s leadership.

“There’s been a bit of buyer’s remorse from some of them,” said Henry.

The numbers also delve into geographic locations. In the NDP’s Edmonton stronghold, Notley’s approval is much stronger, sitting at 51 per cent.

Henry noted that aside from the wildfire bump, Notley’s approval has trended downward from a high of 60 per cent just after the May 2015 election.

One fifth of Voters still unsure of opposition leader Brian Jean

When Albertans hear the term NDP, they think of leader Rachel Notley.

That could present a problem for the party as the leader’s approval continues to slide.

But Duane Bratt, chair of Mount Royal University’s Department of Policy Studies, said it’s not unusual for the leader of any party to have a disapproval rating over 50 per cent.

“If I was Notley, I’d still be buoyed by the numbers that she’s got, particularly in Edmonton. She’s at over 50 per cent in Edmonton, which shows the strength of the party.”

He said opposition leader Brian Jean’s numbers come with a caveat

“Jean’s approval rating is much better than the premier, but there’s a much larger uncertainty - 19 per cent unsure,” said Bratt. “You don’t get that around a premier. But that’s a large figure for the leader of the opposition. That’s almost a fifth of the population.”

He said the premier is the most public figure and people’s opinion of any premier tends to be polarized, without that uncertainty in the middle.

What Bratt would really like to see is how Notley might stack up against Jason Kenny, who is running to lead the PC party with the stated goal of uniting the right-leaning Alberta parties.

The poll of 1221 participants utilizes a representative but non-random sample, therefore margin of error is not applicable. However, a probability sample of this size would yield a margin of error of +/- 2.8 percentage points at a 95 per cent confidence interval.

To join the Voice of Alberta Panel, visit voiceofalberta.com

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...sive-poll.html

Premier Rachel Notley’s approval rating has sunk to new lows, according to a Think HQ /Metro exclusive poll.

Her overall approval rating is sitting at 37 per cent.
    .....and I laughed!!

The numbers also delve into geographic locations. In the NDP’s Edmonton stronghold, Notley’s approval is much stronger, sitting at 51 per cent.
    ...not laughing at this though.
    Last edited by Prairie Dog; 08-05-2016 at 12:30 PM.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for 'em.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me

I'm guessing 51% of people in edmonton hold government jobs
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

3. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

harbl_the_cat (08-05-2016)

Even with numbers like those, as long as the right stays divide she could still win re-election.

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    I'm guessing 51% of people in edmonton hold government jobs
    Or more generally they are living off the avails of taxation.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    37% of people in Alberta are completely brain dead. Got it.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by soulchaser View Post
    Even with numbers like those, as long as the right stays divide she could still win re-election.
    Why Conservatives keep trying to rescue the PCP eludes me. WildRose should be the obvious party for responsible voters.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Corruption and stupidity are not related.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    In the past 10 years something like 1 million people from out of Alberta moved into Alberta. With a population of 4 million, that's as much as 25% of the population who are Albertan by coincidence, not choice.

3-4 years of the government those kinds of people want combined with Alberta being Alberta, I am confident will chase a very large portion of those people out of the province.

We seriously need another Ralph Klein, if not in office, than everywhere throughout this province.

People who think: "If you're not here to contribute to our communities, get the hell out of town and take your damned NDP vote with you."

I've always liked bitterly cold winters.

I hope we get 2-3, both in Edmonton and Calgary, so house heating costs chase out all those fools who think a carbon tax is a good idea.

I think Jason Kenney is a Canadian federalist plant, designed to keep Wild Rose out of office.

If Wild Rose made it in and referendum and recall was brought in, things would get VERY interesting in Alberta.

Ottawa and the eastern elites know this and will do everything they can to stop it from happening.

If they succeed, what WILL make it in office if not next election, than sometime in the next decade will be Wild Rose on steroids.
    Last edited by harbl_the_cat; 08-05-2016 at 04:26 PM.