Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)

Vortex warranty - not what I've heard

So I bought a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 scope a couple months back. Being that it was a $1500 touch, I treated it like gold. It first got mounted on my Browning and saw about 50 rounds. Then it went on my new custom for about 150 rounds. The Browning is your standard hunting rifle...semi auto in 300 win mag. The custom is my EM Precision target rifle...all 17.1lbs of it with a well vented 4 port brake that recoils a little more than a Ruger 10/22. My shots started wandering off to the right, so I adjusted left...nope..still wandering....adjusted more to the left....still wandering right. I then let go of the rifle and left it sitting on my shooting bags while cranking the windage. No reticle movement until about the last 1/4 of the adjustment. The reticle would then move, but you could feel the adjustment turret tightening up. Nope...she's toast.

I sent it in to them last week, expecting one of those fast turn arounds that everyone keeps talking about. Today, I got this email.

Dear Valued Customer,

We have received your item for VIP Warranty processing.

Your repair ticket ID is xxxxxx.

Please have this ticket ID available if you contact us with any enquiries.

Our typical turn around time for Warranty processing is 4 - 6 weeks. Status updates will be sent to you as they occur.

If you have an enquiry about your VIP Warranty ticket you can reach us by replying to this e-mail or by phoning our office at 1-866-343-0054.

Sincerely,

Vortex Canada VIP Warranty Team

Vortex Canada
    45 Airpark Place, Unit 5
    Guelph, ON N1L 1B2
    tel: 1-866-343-0054
    fax: 519-767-6600
    e-mail: service@vortexcanada.net
    www.vortexcanada.net
    So...my nearly brand new $1500 Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 scope is going to be down and out for 4 to 6 weeks...as in, the rest of the summer. THIS is the "I got it back in 4 days" VIP warranty I've heard so much about ? Seriously ? Live and learn I guess. I see this being my very last Vortex product. I've heard a lot of good things about their warranty from a LOT of people. That meaning, I've talked to a LOT of people now who have had their scopes break and have had to send them in. I think I see a Nightforce in my very near future, which is what I should have gone with in the first place. They also have a no nonsense warranty...of course, you never need it because their stuff just doesn't break.

I'll post an update if this just turns out to be a form letter, and they actually do get it back to me fairly quickly.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

2. The Following User Liked This Post By blacksmithden

TDC (08-11-2016)

Relax. I got the same email with my Ranger 1000. Likely you will see a new one in the next 2 weeks or less.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By JustBen

kennymo (08-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    Relax. I got the same email with my Ranger 1000. Likely you will see a new one in the next 2 weeks or less.
    That would be one hell of a relief. I've got a course I'm going to on the 27th. If it still isn't back, I'll be biting the bullet and forking out for a Nightforce on the 26th. Don't get me wrong...while it worked, I loved the scope. The glass was clearer than my eyes, and that reticle was to die for....but it helps a lot when it stays in one place.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

I was never impressed by any of the Vortex optics I owned.

$1500 will buy you a 4-14x56 Nightforce SHV. $1600 will get you into one with 5-20 power. I'll be going Nightforce when/if I manage to get the money together for a rifle build.

http://www.grouseriver.com/Nightforc...on-Illuminated
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
    I was never impressed by any of the Vortex optics I owned.

$1500 will buy you a 4-14x56 Nightforce SHV at Cabelas. $1800 will get you into one with 5-20 power. I'll be going Nightforce when/if I manage to get the money together for a rifle build.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/70386/...hv-riflescopes
    I'm thinking of just going NSX 8-32 right off the hop. It's like a scope for life, right ? Cry once....cry hard....enjoy it when she stops beating me with the rolling pin.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca

8. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

DOA (08-11-2016), firemachine69 (08-11-2016), FlyingHigh (08-10-2016), road kill (08-04-2017)

Following with interest, as a brand new Vortex owner....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    I'm thinking of just going NSX 8-32 right off the hop. It's like a scope for life, right ? Cry once....cry hard....enjoy it when she stops beating me with the rolling pin.
    May as well if you have the money to burn.
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

Vortex, sightron = the KIA of scopes........... I have 3 NightForce scopes.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    That would be one hell of a relief. I've got a course I'm going to on the 27th. If it still isn't back, I'll be biting the bullet and forking out for a Nightforce on the 26th. Don't get me wrong...while it worked, I loved the scope. The glass was clearer than my eyes, and that reticle was to die for....but it helps a lot when it stays in one place.
    Looking back through my inbox, they sent me a follow up the next day.

Thanks Ben. Here's hoping my luck proves to be as good as yours. I really can't afford to drop 3k right now. I'll be damned if I'm missing out on the last 4 or so weeks of warm weather before the big freeze hits.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast