Page 1 of 111 123451151101 ... LastLast

Random (gun) Thoughts

The Mossberg 590a1 riot gun makes for an amusingly effective piece of artillery on the skeet field.

I wonder if it will swing more smoothly once I have the bayonet....

The 1950's era Ruger Blackhawk (flat top) has forever spoiled me for other cowboy guns. And for a forty-four there is nothing finer that side of a model 29......er

I wish VZ Grips had announced the Hi Power palm swell scales at the same time they did the CZ ones: shipping is brutal, but for VZ I'm just too EZ.

Though anything is better than those cupboard doors that Browning provides. That is one part of the gun that John Mose of a certain never designed.

I will check the box labeled "slings" before I buy more slings
    ...if I remember that I have a box labeled "slings" before I go to buy another...
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

I bought a broken rifle without remembering I had almost all the parts to fix it bouncing around in an old dresser drawer in the basement.... Remembered about half a day after I sent the cash.... Happy coincidence..... Time to clean out the old dresser and see just what's in there....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

the Mossberg arrived "broken" essentially. It wouldn't feed from the mag.

I had noted stiffness at the bottom of the stroke, as I racked it a thousand times to smooth it out, and some behaviour of the cartridge stop that to me made no sense - it was riding over top of the action bar.

Figured that was normal, and it did cycle some crappy plastic snap caps, but it was dead at the range.

I briefly thought of returning it to IRG and then not getting it back until the snows come, but the shell stop bothered me.

Looked it up and it's a common issue with mossbergs. Spent 10 minutes at the vice, bending and testing until the shell stop both held the shells in the tube and rode beneath the action bar at the end of the stroke.

I'm lucky I didn't damage either it or the action bar too much in racking the heck out of it, though there is wear on the receiver and she'll lifter where the two were forced to rub due to the ill-fit cartridge stop.

But it's a pig, not a prize pig, so whatever.

Disappointed that the trigger group seems to lack the pull adjustment talked about in the manual. I'd like to lower the trigger weight. There's a pin across the bit where the Allen screw is supposed to be. I'm guessing that if I drift that out parts will go flying...
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Wish List (in no particular order):

GP100 357 Stainless
    Shadow 2
    Ranch Hand in 357 to go with the GP100
    1911-380 (useless really, but fun - which IS a use)
    Finish building my AR
    I don't have a firearms problem; they all work perfectly well.
    Membership: CCFR, SAFGC
    Gov’t couldn’t make sense if you gave them a recipe.

I have a Magpul sling mount on the front of my AR forend that I use as a handstop when I overhand monkey grip the rifle. Last Tac-rifle match I finally overrode it in my haste to squeeze off an easy shot, and took the outgassing of my compensator on the second knuckle of my index finger. You know the cylinder gap of a revolver? Not quite that bad, but not something to do for giggles either.

Also I really need to get off my lazy butt and grind down the insanely stiff (to cycle 3.5" shells) hammer spring on my Stoeger 3500 to see if that will help it reliably fire Challenger 1 oz. shells. That would give me 8 in the tube, quad loads a viable skill then.

Also, I don't know what's wrong with my Shadow? Every so often, with a random magazine, clean or dirty, I'll get a shell hung up on the feed lips as a Failure to Feed. Doesn't really bug me, as it's so random, but it's so random. Maybe new mags for next season.
    CSSA CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    Also, I don't know what's wrong with my Shadow? Every so often, with a random magazine, clean or dirty, I'll get a shell hung up on the feed lips as a Failure to Feed. Doesn't really bug me, as it's so random, but it's so random. Maybe new mags for next season.
    Random, intermittent faults are the very worst to diagnose... Major Suckage.
    I don't have a firearms problem; they all work perfectly well.
    Membership: CCFR, SAFGC
    Gov’t couldn’t make sense if you gave them a recipe.

"...once I have the bayonet..." Probably won't be allowed while skeet shooting. Neckid bayonets are incredibly dangerous things too. There are all kinds of stories from people in the Queen's Service about accidents on parade with bayonets.
    John Moses only designed the basic pistol. No mag safety either. Anyway, look at Pachmayr's.
    "...racked it a thousand times to..." That does nothing. Does sound kike it was assembled wrong though. Warrantee.
    http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590a1-tactical/
    And not all of 'em have an adjustable trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    the Mossberg arrived "broken" essentially. It wouldn't feed from the mag.

I had noted stiffness at the bottom of the stroke, as I racked it a thousand times to smooth it out, and some behaviour of the cartridge stop that to me made no sense - it was riding over top of the action bar.

Figured that was normal, and it did cycle some crappy plastic snap caps, but it was dead at the range.

I briefly thought of returning it to IRG and then not getting it back until the snows come, but the shell stop bothered me.

Looked it up and it's a common issue with mossbergs. Spent 10 minutes at the vice, bending and testing until the shell stop both held the shells in the tube and rode beneath the action bar at the end of the stroke.

I'm lucky I didn't damage either it or the action bar too much in racking the heck out of it, though there is wear on the receiver and she'll lifter where the two were forced to rub due to the ill-fit cartridge stop.

But it's a pig, not a prize pig, so whatever.

Disappointed that the trigger group seems to lack the pull adjustment talked about in the manual. I'd like to lower the trigger weight. There's a pin across the bit where the Allen screw is supposed to be. I'm guessing that if I drift that out parts will go flying...
    my Brand new Mossberg 500 came the same way. Would not let the last shell come out of the mag tube. P&D in Edmonton fixed it for me no problem and tossed some sling mounts on it for me, awesome service. Then I realized that the safety was funny, checked it and the detent ball had been missing since day 1 as well. Local gun smith in GP fixed that up quick while I got my scope mounted to try primitive arms area this season.

I really wish a person could buy a new heavy duty mag tube for a Mossberg 500! They feel so flimsy on any shotgun tho, unless you get into the tactical styles.

I dislike pachmayr grips.

Just don't like rubber except for stock CZ ones and even those I tolerate because the flat aluminum ones are ergonomic hell.

VZ - I put those grips on everything

Racking a new shotgun helps to the point of abrading the park from the wear points. I'll go back this winter and touch the worst of them with a fine stone.

I don't expect Ithaca smoothness.

Seems the 590a1 has a dual hammer spring. Some guys remove it to lighten the trigger and pump...

A random gun thought i had today.

If counter culture is the opposite of what is generally considered acceptable nowadays, we as gun owners have become the counter culture. Weed is suppose to be legalized and we are being made to look bad. Boy have times changed.

Sent from somewhere
    "Canadians expend about half a billion rounds of ammunition per year (ammunition import statistics). If guns are the cause of homicide, we're missing 99.9999992% of the time." from Range Bob

11. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By GonZo

Kobs (08-28-2016), Strewth (08-24-2016), Tonsper (10-01-2018)

Page 1 of 111 123451151101 ... LastLast