Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tragic tale of mis-delivery

So in the early summer I pre-ordered the GSG-16. (I usually don't bother with pre-orders in general, but I thought the design was cool and I wanted one.) So I put my money down and never gave it much more thought. Not too long after that I end up having to move out of where I was staying due to some unfortunate circumstances. And I go through the motions to update every single place that has my account on file... Including the store where I pre-ordered the GSG from.

October rolls around and I get the email saying the rifles are in and that I just need to pay off the remainder. So I call in to do so (Oct 18th) and make sure that my address is correct. (Since the gun was pre-ordered at address 1, but I live at address 2 and all my other info... PAL/Credit Card/etc... show address 2 on file.) And for whatever reason it's still showing the old address. Once again I correct it. I figure all is good now. It's correct in the account, I get an invoice showing the updated address.

The rifle ships (Oct 23rd) and I get an email and a tracking number. I look at the email and, once again, it shows the old address. The tracking number doesn't show any destination address at all. So I get a little bit worried. I call the company the next day (because they were closed when I got to read the email) and speak to another rep. I give my order number and just ask them to verify where my order is going. They look it up and surprise surprise... old address. I ask them if they can redirect it to my new address and they do so. I check the tracking number later and it shows that the redirect order has gone through so I figure all's good now.

I wake up this morning to an email that says it was delivered. Cool, my rifle is here. So I go down to the post office to get it. But it's not there and it hasn't been dropped off at my house either. Then I check the tracking number again... They ignored the order to reroute it and based on the limited info provided by the tracking number I figure they delivered it to the post office nearby the old address. So I drive there and talk to the clerk behind the desk. They look through their system and say they don't have it, it wasn't delivered to them. That it was sent out for direct delivery.

So I take my chance and go to the old address, hoping someone is home or they screwed up and just left it on the porch. I arrive and no one is there and nothing on the porch. As one might imagine by this point I'm quite agitated. The package is nowhere to be found. I don't know if Canada post dead-dropped it and the residents collected it or someone else took it off the porch or if they actually signed for it. I didn't get any emails saying they'd signed for it (like I have in the past when I've collected things from the post office... but it could be they made changes to this too given how it no longer shows the exact address). I presume it was actually left at the address now because it says delivered.

I've contacted the company also and talked to a few people there, they're going to try leaning on Canada Post... But I'm not sure what if anything they can do there because technically the package has already been delivered (according to them anyway).

I've tried contacting the residents at the old address but, because the move-out was not a pleasant one, they won't talk to me. So at this point I'm at a loss of what to do. Has anyone else had something like this happen to them before? (If so, what'd you do?)

IF you can't get results from Canada Post or the address you believe it was delivered to call the cops. Bet that will get some results PDQ!

3. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By Lee Enfield

Hidyn (11-14-2019), Rory McCanuck (10-28-2019), ruger#1 (11-16-2019), Scotlas (10-30-2019), Waterloomike (10-29-2019)

I'm sure the police would be interested in someone who has your gun and won't talk to you.

5. The Following 8 Users Like This Post By WSA

Aniest (10-29-2019), DuhBoredShooter (11-14-2019), firemachine69 (11-15-2019), Hidyn (11-14-2019), IJ22 (10-28-2019), Rory McCanuck (10-28-2019), ruger#1 (11-16-2019), SwissArmyMan (10-28-2019)

Tell Canada Post that you are going to report the firearm lost/stolen.

That usually lights a fire under their ass

7. The Following 9 Users Like This Post By Drache

Aniest (10-29-2019), elliott264 (10-29-2019), ESnel (10-28-2019), firemachine69 (11-15-2019), Hidyn (11-14-2019), kennymo (10-28-2019), Rory McCanuck (10-28-2019), ruger#1 (11-16-2019), Stew (10-28-2019)

When stuff is shipped signature required, do they not ask for ID? Or is that only when picking up at the post office? Also, they should have a signature, which should help track down who has the parcel. Or get the postal guy who forged the signature and left it on the porch in a world of crap.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    When stuff is shipped signature required, do they not ask for ID? Or is that only when picking up at the post office? Also, they should have a signature, which should help track down who has the parcel. Or get the postal guy who forged the signature and left it on the porch in a world of crap.
    Ive never once been asked for ID signing for a package delivered, only when at the post office.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    If it doesn't fall out of the woodwork within a day or two, go to your local police station. Explain the circumstances, file a report, and ask for a copy of it. If you asked the company to update the address before they shipped it, then this is going to be on them to make good for it if you ask me. They're probably going to ask you to wait a few days to see if it shows up. Fair enough, but at that time, make it clear that you're not the one at fault here.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

11. The Following User Liked This Post By blacksmithden

Hidyn (11-14-2019)

Canada Post regs require a signature for firearms, even NR firearms. So if the sender did not request a signature then they are at fault. If the sender did request a signature and CP did not get yours (obviously they didn't) then they (CP) are at fault. If it is the latter then do what Drache said, go to CP and say "A firearm was sent to me with signature required and you have delivered it to the wrong address and obviously I did not sign it. Now please retrieve it from wherever you delivered it before I am obligated to report it to the RCMP". Or something like that lol.
    Dictionary of the future:
    Global Warming was a popular computer simulation game,
    where the only way to win was not to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    If the sender did request a signature and CP did not get yours (obviously they didn't) then they (CP) are at fault.
    It only has to be the signature of someone at the address on the package.

But I would skip all the pleasantries and go straight to the RCMP. As for the OP knows, people without a PAL are in possession of a firearm.

14. The Following User Liked This Post By Drache

Doug_M (10-29-2019)

Yup, same advise as the other guys. File a report with the police, you have done your part.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast