Looking for MDT TAC-21 advice

Good day folks!

I'm looking to build a 223 rifle around the TAC-21 chassis and I'm looking for input from any and all TAC-21 users out there. Surprisingly there isn't that many reviews on the Internet on the TAC 21.

The build will be a general paper puncher and varmint rig. I'm planning on a 1:8 twist Jury barrel at 22" and the TAC 21, the rest is still undecided. I know they are a heavy chassis, but for this rifles purpose that won't matter much. If it winds up around 12-13 lbs that would be fine.

I haven't decided on an action yet. I like Tikka T3's a lot and right now they're my first choice.
    I have a Savage action that I could use but the safety cut out looks like a weak point to me, it looks like a very thin piece of aluminum around the safety cut out. That plus there really is no good trigger available for a savage.

I know Remingtin is an easy choice with lots of options for triggers and whatnot, but the standard Remington action has never been a favourite of mine. I would love to know if I could use a Stiller or other Remington clone but I can't seem to find a clear answer on that anywhere. I know the side bolt release would not work, but maybe one could just remove it and run a rubber stop in the butt cap like on the Eliseo tube chassis?

Anyways, looking for anything you like or dislike about your TAC-21,

Thanks!

We did one up as a project rifle a couple years back; it is an amazing chassis.

The safety catch area around the Savage chassis isn't an issue... however, it's a bit of a pain in the ass getting the Savage chassis in there. The trigger take down pin is slightly offset in the chassis to prevent it from walking out (that's the sort of detail those guys think of) so you put the action into the chassis canted about 2-degrees then straighten it once the pin's inserted. But, the pin supports the trigger and the spring under the bolt release, so the combo of getting all those things in line AND keeping the action clocked a wee bit is frustrating if you'll be taking it apart much. The Remington chassis is much easier to get your gun in and out of. I can't speak to the Tikka though... but if that's your first choice, I'd go for it.

Plus, the MDT guys are wicked awesome dudes, and the story of that company's continued success is pretty much the perfect story of a little guy making a smart thing well and getting the recognition deserved as a result.
    Proudly publishing Calibre; The Canadian Firearm Publication, online at www.calibremag.ca!

Like us on Facebook or Instagram to follow along with what's new around the office, as well as to get a glimpse into what goes into producing a gun publication.
    Follow us on Twitter @calibremag to enjoy all the stuff that's deemed too unprofessional for Facebook!

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Calibre

blueoval56 (09-03-2016)

I looked at the Tac21 when I was considering my .223 build. But I saw a couple of negative reviews on cgn. And personally, I didn't like the look of it. I eventually decided on a Cadex Field. I chose the Open Top version so I could mount a rail right on to the action. It turned out great, it's a 1/2 to 3/4 moa rifle and I've stretched it out to 800m with great success.

The components are: Benchmark heavy varmint contour barrel finished at 26", custom EM Precision brake contoured to the barrel, Trigger Tech trigger, PRS butt, Ergo grip, Remington SA (trued) and a new bolt handle installed, Near 25moa rail, and then the add-ons (Atlas bipod, NF rings, NF 5.5-22x56.) then it was cerakoted black.

Anyways, it's what I did. It might help you with some ideas.

5. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By 6MT

blueoval56 (09-03-2016), DILLIGAF (09-03-2016), Madrach (09-04-2016)

Calibre, I've already read your review and I appreciate the thoughts. Good to know you think the safety cut out is a non issue. I have handled a TAC 21 for remington but not Savage so all I have to go on is pictures. It just looked like something that could bend or break off. That being said, I am well aware of how strong 6061 aluminum is.

6MT, that is a good looking build and I have looked at the Cadex chassis' available but, just like you and the TAC 21, I can't warm up to the look of the Cadex. I know they are well built and I love that they're Canadian but they just look funny to me. Too many weird angles maybe. I just love the tube gun design of the TAC 21.

Had a Tac 21 and switched to a Cadex.

The Tac 21 is a great budget chassis but not having the ability to remove the bolt without removing the buttstock is a major issues for me. And the lever that locks in it place is kind of dinky. Granted it wasn't at an issues at first but it got old quick... The fit and fishing is hands down better on the Cadex. I found MDT to be easily scratched and dinged.

I Like the MDT LSS offering better. And im actually planning my Coyote rig build around one.

Both manufacturers have top notch customer service, So you can go wrong with either.MDT sent me replacement parts for my used chassis without questions. and Cadex well hasn't had issues...lol... But they did send me some free swag since I was the first ever civi customer with the CDX-30

8. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By DILLIGAF

6MT (09-03-2016), blueoval56 (09-03-2016), JustBen (09-03-2016)

I appreciate the info, thanks DILLIGAF.

I like the the fact that the whole butt stock is so easily removable, that way it will break down into a shorter package for transport. I have used folding stocks before but the only time I ever fold them is for transport and they usually fold to the opposite side of the rifle making it really wide. I can't see having to remove the butt to remove the bolt being an issue for me, but I appreciate it.

Also not too concerned about the finish as long as its not garbage. I'll be ceracoating the whole thing burnt bronze anyway.

I knew I had a picture lol... Look also at the safety position. It sucked on the savage. Not sure how the remys are on the Tac21. just a thought as well.