Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)

Shells sticking in Remington 870

I've had the problem with the Federal aluminum head shells sticking in my 870. I've read in various places that polishing the inside of the chamber gets rid of this problem. Today, I took the barrel off, put it in the lathe, and polished it up to a nice mirror finish with 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, and finally 2000 grit paper. Here's hoping it works. Anybody else had this issue ?

GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

I've had a few sticky ones, usually with the cheap #7/8 trap stuff.
    Madness is like gravity, all it takes is a little push

No troubles with anything I've ever tossed through the 870 Supermag, but my 1897 trench gun doesn't fully appreciate any low brass trap loads. I seem to often get one or two hang ups per magazine. Zero issues with any of the high brass buckshot I've run through.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I had the same problem with my 870 when I had a NEA 14 inch barrel on it, with a rough chamber. I finally got fed up and sold that barrel. I bought a Rem factory 14" barrel with a decently smooth chamber (not as clean as yours) and no problem since.
    "Chances are your relatives would not have picked you either"

...from the Graz family crest.

Pfffft... Just "combat clear" it.

Mostly with cruder pump guns, like my Norc 97, and sometimes the 590 and old M37

It's the cheap high velocity stuff that does them in.

The model 12 has been flawless, however.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

I don't know anyone that's gone that far with their polish job. I shined mine up, it helped a bunch with the cheap stuff, but I still got the occasional hang up from cheap shells. Switched to Challenger ($6. 50/box at Cabelas right now, made in Canada) haven't had a problem since.
    CSSA CCFR

There are two reasons this happens, and yes it happens with 870's regular enough.

one reason is that the chambers can wind up with 'grooves' from the milling process, which hold the shell after it expands once fired. Polishing is the solution for that and you've definitely gone a little overboard in that department. Solves most issues.

The other is that you can sometimes have a probem with the extractor itself - especially if it's one of those MIM (machined) extractors. They are well known for having that problem (probably moreso than deserved). Get a solid metal extractor and it takes 18 seconds to replace the extractor in an 870, and that resolves almost all the remaining problems that polishing doesn't.

Is that the cheap bulk stuff BSD? Yeah, polishing definitely helps.

Quote Originally Posted by graz View Post
    I had the same problem with my 870 when I had a NEA 14 inch barrel on it, with a rough chamber. I finally got fed up and sold that barrel. I bought a Rem factory 14" barrel with a decently smooth chamber (not as clean as yours) and no problem since.

Neither my NEA 14" barrel or the factory Rem barrel were any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxer View Post
    There are two reasons this happens, and yes it happens with 870's regular enough.

one reason is that the chambers can wind up with 'grooves' from the milling process, which hold the shell after it expands once fired. Polishing is the solution for that and you've definitely gone a little overboard in that department. Solves most issues.

The other is that you can sometimes have a probem with the extractor itself - especially if it's one of those MIM (machined) extractors. They are well known for having that problem (probably moreso than deserved). Get a solid metal extractor and it takes 18 seconds to replace the extractor in an 870, and that resolves almost all the remaining problems that polishing doesn't.

Do any of our sponsors sell one of these extractors that doesn't cost a fortune?

EM Precision Rifles stevesummit's Avatar
    Don't forget that just like a rifle the chamber needs some cross hatch to grip the case and reduce bolt thrust. Now we are definitely talking different pressures in a shottie compared to a rifle but I would assume the same principles would apply .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast