Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    There is a spring hunt for bear in NB. 2017 is April 17 to June 24.
    Last edited by Madrach; 10-18-2016 at 05:32 PM.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Madrach

lone-wolf (10-18-2016)

They taste mild and have more regular hides in the spring.

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    when you consider they spend all winter feeding off their fat reserves...then factor in how they smell when they come out...I'd just eat the fatty farm animal
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

5. The Following User Liked This Post By BrotherRockeye

Rory McCanuck (10-19-2016)

[QUOTE=FlyingHigh;417216]Dammit guys...now you all got me wanting to go bear hunting.

Wacking Bears is a Great Sport ! They are Predators and you will save a few fawns and calfs by Help keeping the bear population well in Check ! Rem
    375 H&H is "THE KING" & the 45-70 GOV is the Hammer of THOR

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherRockeye View Post
    when you consider they spend all winter feeding off their fat reserves...then factor in how they smell when they come out...I'd just eat the fatty farm animal
    their fat is absolutely horrible tho. That's what ruins the taste of bear. A lean bear in the spring has not been exercising and has nice soft muscle tissue and very limited fat. That's yer eating bear right there

I've actually heard that hides are more lush in the fall, but i don't really hunt for hides. I'd always heard tho "Spring for steaks, fall for fur" when it comes to bears.

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxer View Post
    their fat is absolutely horrible tho. That's what ruins the taste of bear. A lean bear in the spring has not been exercising and has nice soft muscle tissue and very limited fat. That's yer eating bear right there

I've actually heard that hides are more lush in the fall, but i don't really hunt for hides. I'd always heard tho "Spring for steaks, fall for fur" when it comes to bears.
    if yer a big fan of short hair and thin spots then a fall rug is for you.

My opinions are from personal experience and decades of bow hunting bear...not from what I've "heard"

I always "heard" bear grease is amazing stuff...
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Why should someone not just pass on opinions which he has heard? Is that not a major aspect of these forums and if he heard this from a BC G/O, with 50ish years in the bush, it seems valid to me.

BTW, as to "decades" of bear experience, I have several and with both Grizzlies and Blackies, so, I can certainly speak from experience. I just hate to see this site become like most others of it's type where sniping seems to ruin the discourse.

No offence intended, but, here in BC, where I live and have for 70 winters, as does Foxer, I have seen very fine hides at this time of year.

Maybe BC is mildly different due to weather? Father in law works for a guide in the Duck Mountains here. Every Spring there are Americans lined up to hunt bear, to the point where they have to start turning down clients. Not a one takes the meat, they keep the local taxidermist busy on rugs and full mounts. In the fall there are exactly zero looking to go for bear.... Most of the bear meat lovers hunt the fall here too. Especially if you're somewhere near a nice crop of oats....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherRockeye View Post
    if yer a big fan of short hair and thin spots then a fall rug is for you.

My opinions are from personal experience and decades of bow hunting bear...not from what I've "heard"

I always "heard" bear grease is amazing stuff...
    You might be right - like I said I don't really hunt for fur and bear has been a spring hunt for me. Which is why I always try to distinguish between what I KNOW from personal experience and what I've heard from arguably reliable sources but don't know personally

Bear lard is amazing stuff by the way, if that's what you meant by 'grease'. So see? Sometimes what we hear is right

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Maybe BC is mildly different due to weather? Father in law works for a guide in the Duck Mountains here. Every Spring there are Americans lined up to hunt bear, to the point where they have to start turning down clients. Not a one takes the meat, they keep the local taxidermist busy on rugs and full mounts. In the fall there are exactly zero looking to go for bear.... Most of the bear meat lovers hunt the fall here too. Especially if you're somewhere near a nice crop of oats....
    Well that is a very real possibility. The food sources here in the spring are very different - Bears will be eating a lot more leafy green stuff like fireweed for example. There's a lot of other differences too. So it seems plausible as an explanation. It has been noted before when two scientists were arguing about different results in their research on bears that it turned out they were both right, but ONLY in the areas they were researching. Bears behave, live and eat very differently in different environments.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567