IGA coach gun sticking hinge when fired.

Hello everyone,
    I have an iga coach sxs 12 ga. Its a great gun but when i fire it it is hard to open. It opens fine before it is fired. I am just getting into gunsmithing so i am unsure of what is causing this. could anyone else comment of my problem. I have seen others with the same issue online but have not found any viable ideas

How dirty is it?

In my experience, most actual gunsmithing problems can be resolved with a good cleaning and lube job.

3 thing's I would do.
    Grease the hinge.
    Lube the lever.
    Exam the shotgun for wear marks were it can be rubbing. If there is maybe polish that area to prevent it from occuring any more.

Wink

Thanks for the comments guys I think my next move is to dissasemble it and check for wear marks. The reason im stumped is it opens fine when it has not been fired, even with shells in the chambers. but as soon as the triger is pulled I get into a ..... sticky situation lol

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys I think my next move is to dissasemble it and check for wear marks. The reason im stumped is it opens fine when it has not been fired, even with shells in the chambers. but as soon as the triger is pulled I get into a ..... sticky situation lol
    Try something just for kicks.... I am wondering if it; sthat goofy safety they have that is keeping it from opening....

Put one shell in it and fire it off then try and open it... if it is tight then disengage the safety and try again....
    It's no fun punning with a Kleptomaniac... they keep taking things, literally.

Could always try a set of snap caps. If it sticks after they are fired, it could something contacting where it shouldn't.

Another issue could be clearances... it might just take the extra pressure from a shotshell to move something where it shouldn't go.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    Could always try a set of snap caps. If it sticks after they are fired, it could something contacting where it shouldn't.

Another issue could be clearances... it might just take the extra pressure from a shotshell to move something where it shouldn't go.
    That's an idea too.... I was thinking live round because the recoil from teh shot is what automatically puts the safety on....
    It's no fun punning with a Kleptomaniac... they keep taking things, literally.

Headspace perhaps ?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    The reason im stumped is it opens fine when it has not been fired, even with shells in the chambers. but as soon as the triger is pulled I get into a ..... sticky situation lol
    Check the primers on the fired shells. If they are oval instead of the usual round it means the firing pins are not retracting back into the breach face for some reason. It could need cleaning or the firing pins are a little too long and need to be shortened slightly. Does it happen with shells from different makers or just one brand?

WoW!
    So many helpfull people on this web site.
    I love this place
    Kudo's 2 u all!