Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .17 HMR or not?

Quote Originally Posted by mlehto View Post
    But you can do it with a .22, and if you miss, and hit the chest there won't be much left with a 17 hmr.
    Thanks for all the input.

"and if you miss"... what is this word "miss" you speak of... I'm not familiar

If you get a grouse, who cares if 17hmr costs $0.25 per round? A rabbit? What game animal is not worth a quarter? In the grand scheme of things does it really matter?

I don't worry about the price of ammo when I'm hunting... but I want a gun that I'm not going to broke shooting for fun. I own 2 rifles chambered in .22LR. I buy around 3000 rounds of .22LR a year. Exactly 4 of those 3000 were used on a live target. That works out to $45 a round.

The question is: Would those 4 tasty critters by on my plate if I hadn't had 2997 practice shots?

Well... the answer is probably "yes"... but it wouldn't have been as much fun.

Comparing the price of .17 HMR, and the price of reloaded .223, I don't really see any advantage. The "grouse/pheasant" argument is a good one, but where I hunt a rimfire rifle is almost unless on them. A long range shot in those woods is 40 yards.

I have a 22 & 17hmr. The 17 is more fun, I think because of the flatter trajectory. I take them both in the field for gophers. Prefer the 17 for longer shots, use the 22 for the shorter, gophers everywhere type shots. I'm going to get a 223 at some point, used my dads for a few 200+ yards, completely different thrill. Don't think you'll make a wrong decision, nor is one better than the other, they're just different.

Country Boy Can Survive
    The simple answer is you should not buy a .17 to replace a .223 or a .22 . The .17 fits in a niche not easily filled by either, low report, fairly in expensive, accurate rifles for the money. Also it is large enough for basic pest shooting but small enough that you will have it with you when you need it.
    I'd rather Deal with Nature than Bureaucracy - John Barsness

We Can't Stop Here this is Remington Country!

So what you are saying is buy them all? Genius! Time to buy a bigger safe

nvm
    Last edited by hometownhero; 10-29-2012 at 12:38 AM.
    hustlin since 1984

I've been having the same dilemma, can't decide on the 17 or 223. For me its a little bit different because I would only be using it for target shooting so the cost is what will most likely determine which one I go with. The Marlin XT17VR has caught my eye for around $220+tax compared to Remington 700 SPS at $630-$800+tax. Not to mention the cost of ammunition, but for some reason I'm still stuck and can't decide which way to go yet....

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmiller82 View Post
    Thanks for all the input.

"and if you miss"... what is this word "miss" you speak of... I'm not familiar

lol
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Well I am familiar, too often to tell, i like the .17 because I don't have to reload for it, but is plenty flat shooting though wind sensitive, for our small gophers, it's tops. I prefer c.f. cartridges usinf cast .22 bullets, but sometimes it's alot of work to do them up!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast