Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    The AR15 market is pretty crowded as well
    I'll throw two honest and straight truths at you as well:
    1 - the forum's market traffic isn't as big as some forums
    2 - nea doesn't have the greatest reputation

You're also new and people can be leery of dealing with someone new. Your ad seems good though, if I was interested in another ar15 it doesn't scare me away. Pictures are good.
    Do you know any good Canadian firearm forms besides Canadian gun nuts ?

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    Not knowing any other factors, that really does seem to be a very good price. Usually like-new guns sell for a better ratio than that, so I'm not sure what is missing from this equation.
    Thanks

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I recently sold a brand new scope that retails for just over $1300 cdn. It was brand new in the box...literally, I opened the box to take a picture of it still in the plastic, closed the box, and wrapped it up, ready to put an address on it. It had a few extras with it as well. My methodology was simple. I started out at the retail price. Buyer saves the tax, shipping, and gets some free goodies. A week later, I dropped the price by $100...I kept doing that until it sold. Guns and just about anything else are like houses. They will always sell if they're priced right for the market you're in. There are an infinite number of variables in the market and it's impossible to account for them all. If you are patient and keep lowering your price, eventually, someone will pull the trigger on it. If you have an absolute bottom dollar figure you'll accept for something, then keep lowering it and stop there. If it still doesn't sell, then the market just isn't there at the number you want. Don't feel bad about it....it is what it is. You have a choice at that point. Either leave it up for sale, or keep it and hope the market improves. There really isn't much more to it than that.....at least that's the way I've always done it.

When I'm a buyer, I look at what's for sale and I figure out a dollar figure that I'm willing to pay for it. If it gets lowered to that, then I jump on it. If it doesn't, oh well....there will always be other guns. I'm not really in the market for an AR15 right now, and like someone said...NEA doesn't have the greatest rep. Still if a good deal comes along, I'll go for it...I saw your ad, and I figured out what I'd be willing to pay for it (I'm not going to say what it is here. I hate making people feel like they're being lowballed, so I just wait to see if they drop the price on their own most of the time). Some of my guns are for investment. Some are for personal enjoyment. I don't mind sitting on a gun for a few years to see if the market comes up to the point where I might be able to make a couple of bucks on it. I am a dealer after all. I never spend money that I can't afford to sit on for an undetermined amount of time. There are various factors that come into play, and they change from time to time.

Anyway.....that's my perspective on buying and selling guns. Hopefully it helps.
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 10-25-2016 at 10:41 PM.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    I recently sold a brand new scope that retails for just over $1300 cdn. It was brand new in the box...literally, I opened the box to take a picture of it still in the plastic, closed the box, and wrapped it up, ready to put an address on it. It had a few extras with it as well. My methodology was simple. I started out at the retail price. Buyer saves the tax, shipping, and gets some free goodies. A week later, I dropped the price by $100...I kept doing that until it sold. Guns and just about anything else are like houses. They will always sell if they're priced right for the market you're in. There are an infinite number of variables in the market and it's impossible to account for them all. If you are patient and keep lowering your price, eventually, someone will pull the trigger on it. If you have an absolute bottom dollar figure you'll accept for something, then keep lowering it and stop there. If it still doesn't sell, then the market just isn't there at the number you want. Don't feel bad about it....it is what it is. You have a choice at that point. Either leave it up for sale, or keep it and hope the market improves. There really isn't much more to it than that.....at least that's the way I've always done it.

When I'm a buyer, I look at what's for sale and I figure out a dollar figure that I'm willing to pay for it. If it gets lowered to that, then I jump on it. If it doesn't, oh well....there will always be other guns. I'm not really in the market for an AR15 right now, and like someone said...NEA doesn't have the greatest rep. Still if a good deal comes along, I'll go for it...I saw your ad, and I figured out what I'd be willing to pay for it (I'm not going to say what it is here. I hate making people feel like they're being lowballed, so I just wait to see if they drop the price on their own most of the time). Some of my guns are for investment. Some are for personal enjoyment. I don't mind sitting on a gun for a few years to see if the market comes up to the point where I might be able to make a couple of bucks on it. I am a dealer after all. I never spend money that I can't afford to sit on for an undetermined amount of time. There are various factors that come into play, and they change from time to time.

Anyway.....that's my perspective on buying and selling guns. Hopefully it helps.
    Thanks for the advice, one guy said the price I have it up for right now is a good price considering it comes with a decent case and lazer sight and free shipping , everyone has a right to there own opinion.

Traffic at GOC is less than the 'nutty' place, people can be apprehensive about peoples with zero feedback or whatever it is called here. This is what I am experiencing at GOC, right now. I am using the Marketplace to list my new items as I was disappointed in the Moderation of CGN. Take good photos if possible, no toes, runners or socks in the photo. A plain gray background works well, avoid placing your item on the expensive Persian rug, cammo cloth or that nasty star wars bedspread. Be honest with your description, and try to answer all the questions from serious possibilities. I did not see what brand of AR it was you were trying to sell. Many buyers are searching for high end stuff at Import (not USA) prices. AR's are like a custom Harley, what you like may not be they way the buyer wants his ride. Part it out, if its good stuff and fair price it will go.
    good luck with your sale and enjoy GOC, the less NUTTY alternative.
    Had a look at your ad, photos are fine and the price is right, sadly some peoples dont like the brand as they didnt stick to the standard milspec uppers and lowers.

$870 sounds light to me. Firearms tend to not lose that much value and AR's a lot less. Even though restricted stuff takes a bunch of BS paperwork and phone calls etc and the market is smaller.
    The brand of AR and what's with it(number of mags for example.), matters too. So does where you are.
    Anyway, the process is the same as it was when you bought thing only in reverse and you become the seller.

I sold a nea ar for $800 last winter, unfired.
    I really needed the money, and the market on PEI is a hand full of people.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

it's also not possible to prove how many rounds have gone through it - people aren't likely to trust internet strangers

Anyone have an idea what the resale will be like for the complete Colt Canada IUR with Diemaco Lowers? I got mine a while ago but still unfired since i'm just learning the ropes with shotguns/bolt action/pistols. I'm halfway considering a swap to the Beretta A400 and staying away from the AR platform entirely since i think hunting is more practical for me than range use.

I was a bit jumpy on my Mossberg 590 purchase and someone on the forum got a NIB 590A1 Blackwater Speedfeed for $550 all in. Right now my stupid impulse tax is at $140 and hoping it doesn't go much higher.

Colt Canada pricing is still going strong
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12