Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tasmanian Tiger Chest Rig MKII: No B.S. 90 Second Review

Caution: Dangerous Mall Ninja Gear Below. Fudds be warned.
    Tasmanian Tiger Chest Rig MKII

I really like this guy. Picked it up from Seals Action Gear for $120 when they first came in, and I hung up the ill-fitting tactical tailor rig for good.

The thing that grabs me about Tasmanian Tiger is its all really strong, and really well designed. I managed to snap parts on my tactical tailor rig, and DS tactical recommended I buy an "upgraded shoulder harness" that would "fix that." I did buy the X-harness, and it did work, but that rig was crazy low on my belly.

Tasmanian Tiger worked out of the box, has a great adjustment system, and side pouches that are actually accessible (ie, not ass-pouches or kidneypouches)

The double mag pouches hold well, and with the velcro on there you can adjust them for one or two mags without any floppiness. I like that you can pull the velcro out all together if you want them to feel the breeze.

Although I do wish there was an accessory to put elastic retention in there.

Overall, a huge upgrade from what I had, for a damn good price when you look at some of the American manufacturers. An eagle or HSGI like this can be more than double the price, so I feel pretty vindicated about the purchase.

Does anyone else run a chest rig? If so, what did you pick?
    Last edited by TV-PressPass; 08-15-2012 at 09:46 AM.

I run my Tactical Tailor Mav (1 Peice), with and without X harness, I've never had any issues with it.

I do agree it's much lower, but only when used with the X harness, I used to run it with the harness and found it to be more like webbing than a chest rig, but could still cinch it up onto my chest when needed. Since then I have been running it without the x harness and have no problems getting it to sit very comfortably high on my chest. I can even wear it with a big internal frame back pack with 60+lbs of gear with the hip belt done up nice and tight, and nothing rides up in the back area, very comfortable. This is the only chest rig I have found to be comfortable with an internal frame backpack. Or any other multi-day pack to be honest.

As for durability, how did yours break? I beat the shiit out of mine, it's been used hard for the last 3-4 years anyway in all kinds of weather, hardly looks used. Definitely tough gear, I don't know how you could have ever broke anything on it, I mean maybe a buckle in a car door but what happened??? To my knowledge all tac tailor products are warrantied for life too. If I remember right the Canadian Forces ordered MAV's for an entire battle group on the way to Afghanistan a while back.

All this being said, I can understand the TT rig being too big for you, mine barely goes tight enough to fit me in the summer (Without jackets and other clothing) and I'm 5'9"-160lbs. If I were any skinnier it would be too big, I tried the 2-peice Mav and it was huge on me even tightened all the way.

Do you still have the TT gear, if so, I'll take it off your hands, if interested PM

Here's my Tactical Tailor Mav-Complete one peice
    Last edited by Steve704; 01-29-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Canadian ForcesGOC Supreme commander zulu's Avatar
    i tried that rig once. seemed ok. what i didnt like was how it goes on. while wearing armour doing anything up at the rear is difficult. then add the weight of a fully loaded rig and its just not going on quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by zulu View Post
    i tried that rig once. seemed ok. what i didnt like was how it goes on. while wearing armour doing anything up at the rear is difficult. then add the weight of a fully loaded rig and its just not going on quickly.
    I see where your coming from, when I first got it I found it cumbersome to put on, to say the least. I never had much issue doing it up in the back though. Now that I have been wearing it for 2 or so years, I can get in, and out of it pretty damn fast, it's become quite instinctive for me. What I love about how it fits is just how comfortable it fit's once it is on. No movement at all, completely solid, if I weren't on the range I would forget I was even even wearing a rig, it just doesn't wiggle or move at all when mounted high on the chest. I found a lot of other chest rigs that open in the front flopped around on me too much.
    Last edited by Steve704; 01-29-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve704 View Post
    I see where your coming from, when I first got it I found it cumbersome to put on, to say the least. I never had much issue doing it up in the back though. Now that I have been wearing it for 2 or so years, I can get in, and out of it pretty damn fast, it's become quite instinctive for me. What I love about how it fits is just how comfortable it fit's once it is on. No movement at all, completely solid, if I weren't on the range I would forget I was even even wearing a rig, it just doesn't wiggle or move at all when mounted high on the chest. I found a lot of other chest rigs that open in the front flopped around on me too much.
    sorry i should have been more specific steve.
    i was talking about the tasmanian tiger rig. i myself like the TT rigs. TT isnt the best but it can do almost any job a rig needs to do from light machine gunner to grenadier and riflemen.

Yeah the TT (tactical tailor) versus the TT (tasmanian tiger) has me easily confused :P

I broke the rear connector, just shouldering it with a jacket one day and pulling hard to get it on.

The X-harness is biiig for me.

But I can see what zulu means about the rear snap. Its easy to undo, but can be tricky to do up with some layers on underneath. Usually for me I put it on and leave it on for the day's shooting. But even the last time I was out, I had a strap slip out of retention, and there was no easy way to tuck it back in without taking the vest off.

Exhibit A: loose strap

Thanks for this none bs review. The truthfull and un-bais posting is quite refreshing.

^agreed i love unbias reviews. Like that video tvpp did with the jamming tavor. (How did that end anyway)

Great Stuff TV!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast